Denbighshire County Council has been recognised as the top performing North Wales authority for affordable housing for 2019-2020.
Statistics released this month by the Welsh Government on affordable housing provision between April 2019 to March 2020 placed Denbighshire at the top for affordable housing provision in North Wales and 11th nationally in Wales.
The council has pledged in the Denbighshire Corporate Plan to support the development of 1000 new homes in Denbighshire between 2017 and 2022, with 260 of those designated as affordable homes and 170 as council houses.
Between 2019 and 2020 a total of 119 affordable homes were delivered in Denbighshire.
The council also delivered 33 local authority owned social rented homes.
Denbighshire also came out top in North Wales for the key indicator of affordable housing delivered per 10,000 households and sixth overall in Wales.
Emlyn Jones, the council’s Head of Planning, Public Protection and Countryside Planning, said: “Housing is a priority in our Corporate Plan, we recognised there is an important need to make sure housing is available to suit the needs of Denbighshire residents.
“We are working hard with developers and in partnership with registered social landlords to continually deliver on our promise to provide a wide range of accommodation for our residents, of which affordable housing is an integral part.
“Providing more affordable homes in our communities is part of our ongoing work to ensure we can retain more young people in Denbighshire.”
Denbighshire says it is on course to deliver a minimum of 70 more affordable homes in 2020-21.
Other housing developments across the county involving the council include:
• Awel Y Dyffryn Extra Care facility in Denbigh developed by Grŵp Cynefin providing 74 dwellings for vulnerable and older people, due to be completed June 2021
• Adra Affordable development site in Meliden providing 44 homes of mixed tenure due to be completed December 2021
• Cartrefi Conwy development site in Rhyl providing 18 social housing apartments due to be completed January 2022
• Clwyd Alyn development site in Ruthin providing 63 affordable homes of mixed tenure due to be completed May 2023
• Denbighshire are developing sites at Caradoc Road in Prestatyn and Tan Y Sgybor in Denbigh which will bring forward 26 social rent homes in 2022.