Denbighshire County Council has welcomed news that Welsh Government funding for free school meals will be provided to parents and guardians during all school holidays up to and including Easter 2021.
The funding announcement was made by Education Minister Kirsty Williams MS last week.
The council says it will now be making plans to make payments into the bank or building society accounts of those eligible for free school meals, with the initial payment due to be made at the start of the half term holidays, the week commencing Monday, October 26th.
Councillor Huw Hilditch-Roberts, Cabinet Lead Member for Children’s Services, Education and Public Engagement, said: “We welcome this funding as it provides some security for parents and guardians that they will have funds to continue providing meals during the school holidays.
“Our education, catering, benefits and finance teams set up a direct payment system during the initial lockdown period, with payments continuing until the schools re-opened in September. That system worked extremely well and we will be using the same system to make the new payments.
“It’s really important that we have the most up to date information from parents/ guardians that are eligible, to ensure that we can make the payment without any delays.
* If parents/ guardians believe the Council does not hold the most up to date information on the free school meal claim, please visit www.denbighshire.gov.uk/free-school-meals