Get in touch ...

Know of something happening in
Llangollen?
Tweet
us on
@llanblogger

E-mail your contributions to: llanblogger@gmail.com

We are on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/pages/llanbloggercouk/139122552895186



Friday, June 12, 2020

Gary aims to help people with same crippling condition with castle walk


* From left and properly socially distanced, Gary’s wife Traceyjane and Gary pick up some of the 10 walking poles donated by Tracy and Graeme Smith from the Watkin & Williams DIY store in Llangollen ready for the trek to the castle which is in the background. 

A Llangollen man whose life has been disrupted by a crippling condition is planning a fundraiser next month to support fellow sufferers.

Gary Sutton, 53, has had Cervical Spondylosis Myelopathy for a number of years but wasn’t diagnosed with it until last November.

He is slowly losing his ability to walk and will eventually be disabled, he has been told.

But on Saturday July 18 Gary will be summoning up his remaining stamina to walk from his house in Chapel Street to Castell Dinas Bran with the aim of raising enough cash to set up a charity based in north Wales to provide help and support for others hit by the condition.    

He has won the backing of Clwyd South MP Simon Baynes who will be accompanying him on his walk along a number of local councillors.   

Gary said: “I am trying to set up a charity to support people who suffer from Cervical Spondylosis Myelopathy. I suffer from this condition and can only walk 200 metres without a rest.

“I know I cannot work anymore in the job that I have loved. I work for United Utilities as a leakage engineer and have done for over 20 years.”

Gary added: “I want to raise awareness of this illness and set up a charity. I have businesses and our local MP involved, also local councillors. We have support from ORB Sound and Lighting when we get to the summit.

“We have all the necessary permissions and will be observing all the social distancing rules on the day.”

“I am getting donations in, but we need to get to £20,000, so I can set this up to support others. After three days we had reached nearly £500, my employer will donate £500 as well.

“My wife Traceyjane has been really supportive but it has taken its toll on her. She has to be my carer because I cannot walk properly and do tend to fall over.

“She works at Home Bargains in Llangollen and has to deal with Covid-19 whilst at work and make sure I am OK as well. She never gets the recognition she deserves.

“I just want to help others out as unfortunately the illness has gone too far for myself.”

Simon Baynes MP said: “I am greatly looking forward to joining Gary and others on his walk to Castell Dinas Bran on July 18, with appropriate social distancing, which will do much to raise awareness of his condition and further his plans to set up a charity.”

No comments:

Post a Comment