During the current Gas Safety Week, Wales & West Utilities has given some timely safety information to users ...
After the long hot summer this year we’re now focusing on preparing for winter – and we’re urging everyone in the communities we serve to take just five simple steps to make sure winter doesn’t catch them out:
1. Get gas appliances safety checked by a Gas Safe Registered Engineer – this should be done every year.
2. Keep your eye on your appliances: Flames on your cooker and boiler should be crisp and blue, and no sooty black marks on or around any gas appliances.
3. Make sure you have an audible carbon monoxide (CO) alarm: it might save your life and save you from the debilitating side effects of CO poisoning.
4. Know the signs of CO poisoning: a headache is the most common but also dizziness, feeling sick, tiredness & confusion, stomach pain and shortness of breath. The symptoms are flu-like without the high temperature – but very high levels can kill almost instantly.
5. Save the National Gas Emergency Number 0800 111 999 in your phone so you can call it immediately if you smell gas or suspect the presence of CO.
To keep people informed we’ve launched a social media campaign raising awareness of gas safety and letting people know how they can prepare for winter. We’d really appreciate if you would consider sharing this information on your social media channels, so your followers have even more opportunity to see these vital safety messages.
Some tweets that you may want to use are below:
1. Its @GasSafetyWeek 2018 #GSW18 and @wwutilities are reminding you to get your gas appliances checked by a @GasSafeRegister engineer before winter.
2. To mark Gas Safety Week #GSW18 @wwutilities are reminding you to save the National Gas Emergency number in your phone: 0800 111 999. It could save your life!
3. Do you know the symptoms of CO poisoning? @GasSafetyWeek is a great chance to remind yourself how to stay safe from the ‘silent killer’ http://wwutilities.co.uk/services/safe-warm/carbon-monoxide/ @wwutilities #GSW18