Get in touch ...

Know of something happening in
Llangollen?
Tweet
us on
@llanblogger

E-mail your contributions to: llanblogger@gmail.com

We are on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/pages/llanbloggercouk/139122552895186



Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Llan woman tells of being stranded in New Zealand by pandemic


* Margaret Richardson enjoying Hamilton Gardens before the
pandemic struck.


A well-known Llangollen resident has contacted llanblogger to detail her experience of being left stranded on the other side of the world by the coronavirus pandemic.


Margaret Richardson, 76, helps run the Plas Hafod B&B in Abbey Road and journeyed out to New Zealand in February to stay with her family who live in Cambridge, North Island.
She says she was having a great time until the Covid-19 panic began and has since been unable to get an affordable flight home after being told a one-way ticket could cost her as much as 13,000 dollars – equivalent to over £6,000.
No repatriation flights from New Zealand to the UK have yet been arranged.     
Margaret joined in the live Facebook streaming of the vicar of Llangollen’s favourite hymns session on Sunday evening, messaging brief details of her predicament.
So llanblogger asked her via Facebook messaging to give more details.
She responded: “On the 5th February I set out on my journey to NZ (New Zealand) to stay with my youngest daughter Hazel, Wayne and family for two months.
“Little did I know what would happen in the next seven weeks.
“On reaching NZ I was welcomed with open arms and had a great time, going to the beach at Mount Maunganui, Hamilton Gardens and attending an open music festival evening in the gardens.
“The weather had been great in the high 70’s (it sounds warmer in Fahrenheit) and was getting a nice tan.
“Then tragedy struck as Covid-19 reared its ugly head. Lockdown was declared, more stringent here than in the UK.
“All international flights cancelled, restaurants, take-aways, DIY and clothing stores were closed.
“It was very difficult to get in touch with my insurance company and airline because of the time difference. We have had two time changes, one in the UK and one in NZ. We are now one hour behind the UK but at the other end of the day.
“Some airlines are still flying but the cost of getting one - they are all returning to London - is prohibitive.
“I am flying with Emirates who say they will honour my return ticket, at no extra cost, but when they will start to resume International flights is anyone’s guess.
“There are no repatriation flights at the moment from NZ but even if they resume I need a flight to Manchester.
“There is no way I can negotiate London with a large suitcase at my age from Heathrow.
“I believe the trains are not running properly and the thought of trying to get home by public transport terrifies me.
“I am in touch with the British Consulate and get a newsletter each evening, with a few airlines and dates still flying but all to London. No way.
“Qatar airlines wanted 13,000 dollars for a one way ticket, even the British Consulate said it was prohibitive.
“So until Emirates or repatriation flights start flying here I stay or until Hazel throws me out!
“I have heard that the NZ Government will extend visas if necessary which is very good of them.
“NZ also has reciprocal health agreements with the UK. Doctors you pay for but I’m not complaining, though. Hospitals are free.
“I have had to get more medication which I have had to pay for. The doctor cost 95 dollars, medication 91 dollars. So don’t knock the National Health Service.
“Of course, the insurance company won’t pay - surprise surprise. I’m not covered for Covid-19 as I didn’t take out disruption policy which apparently was an add-on.
“I hope to be back soon but don’t hold your breath.
“Keep safe and follow the rules and we will come through it.
“Just had an update from the British Consulate no repatriation flights yet. The insurance companies have today agreed a 60- day medical extension but don’t think it covers coved-19. At least the government has got something for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment