Get in touch ...

Know of something happening in
Llangollen?
Tweet
us on
@llanblogger

E-mail your contributions to: llanblogger@gmail.com

We are on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/pages/llanbloggercouk/139122552895186



Thursday, September 15, 2016

Planning application submitted for "ghost" supermarket


* The Berwyn Street supermarket for which a planning application has now been submitted.

A planning application has been lodged with Denbighshire County Council which could possibly see Llangollen’s “ghost” supermarket split between two tenants – discount retailers Aldi and Home Bargains.

The 34,000 sq ft unit off Berwyn Street has stood empty since May 2015 when Sainsbury’s for whom it was built made the shock announcement that they would not be moving in due to a scaling back of their stores.
The application, made in the name of Sainsbury’s who still own the building, seeks permission for the subdivision of the existing retail unit and alterations to allow it to trade as two retail units with associated internal and external physical alterations to the building, service yard, customer entrance and forecourt areas.

The move, which comes after more than a year of speculation about the eventual tenant, has been welcomed by Llangollen county councillor Stuart Davies who said: “Mention of Aldi and Home Bargains being the two prospective tenants of the supermarket is made in the covering letter of the planning application and also in a background document.
“I am happy that an application has finally been made for this empty building and to see that there are prospective tenants in mind.”

The Sainsbury’s pull-out, which they blamed on “adverse trading conditions” at the time, dashed hopes for 130 promised jobs.

Sainsburys announced they wouldn’t themselves be running the store directly and revealed they were looking for potential tenants.

Interest by Aldi and the discount group Home Bargains has often been speculated upon but never confirmed by either company.

A spokesman for Aldi told llanblogger a few months ago:  “Aldi, the award-winning discount food retailer, is keen to develop a new food store in Llangollen.

“There is a clear need for greater shopping choice in the area and Aldi is looking at a variety of sites that fit both suitability and convenience for local shoppers.”

And a spokesman for Home Bargains said at the time: “Unfortunately, it’s a no comment from us, as we work to a strict planner of confirmed stores.”

* The application, reference number 03/2016/0887, can be inspected in full via the planning search section of the Denbighshire County Council website at: http://planning.denbighshire.gov.uk

Council slammed over station parking


* Ken Skates AM with Cllr Dana Davies at Ruabon Station.

Wrexham Council has made ‘an utter mess’ of parking charges at Ruabon Station, according to opposition politicians.

Along with many residents and station users, Clwyd South Assembly Member Ken Skates and Ruabon councillor Dana Davies have previously criticised the authority over the introduction of a pay-and-display system at the popular station.

Now they say constant issues with the ticket machine are exacerbating problems – and have called on the council to address the situation.

Mr Skates and Cllr Davies last April suggested the council should reinvest money from the new parking charges – up to £400 a year per person – into improving the station’s facilities, such as better disabled access. But their plea fell on deaf ears at the Guildhall.

Cllr Davies, leader of the opposition Labour group said: “At least if the money had gone towards station improvements, commuters and users could’ve seen where it was going. This is purely a revenue stream, while at the same time the council is wasting hundreds of thousands of pounds of taxpayers’ money trying to demolish The Groves.

“Since the charges came in, people are parking anywhere but at the train station, including at the cemetery and in residential areas.

“These issues were raised at the time the decision was made, but our concerns were ignored. They are still discussed on a regular basis at Ruabon Community Council, and I’m getting a lot of complaints from residents.

“The ticket machine is also faulty on a regular basis and people often have problems paying for long-term stays. I was assured this would be looked at, but I’m still waiting.”

Cllr Davies added: “Wrexham Council leaders continue to make an utter mess of this.”

Mr Skates added: “I use this station and know how frustrating the parking payment system is. I also know how badly the charges have impacted on neighbouring householders, who are finding people parking all over the place. I have taken this up with the chief executive once again and hope to get a response in the very near future.”

Cllr David A Bithell, Lead Member for Environment and Transport, said: “I am flabbergasted at Labour’s hypocrisy, given the decision of the executive board on January 13, 2015, to introduce a Pay and Display service at Ruabon Railway Station - it is my recollection that this was a unanimous decision which included the two Labour members of the executive board at that time.

“It seems to me they have short-term memory loss, and I would suggest to Ken Skates AM that he needs to have more dialogue with his Labour members on Wrexham Council.”

Cllr Bithell added: “In respect of the issues raised, this was part of the revenue budget savings for 2015/16, where the Council had to make £11.6 million of savings. The department is also currently working with the local member on some localised issues around the use of Pay and Display at the car park.”

Wednesday, September 14, 2016

79 people in court for littering offences

Denbighshire County Council’s campaign for cleaner, tidy streets is continuing with a total of 79 people being taken to court for littering offences.

The hearing at Llandudno Magistrates Court yesterday (Tuesday) heard cases of smoking related litter, food and drink containers being wilfully dropped in public.

The total amount of fines issued by the court was £3,250 with a total of £3,260 in costs.

Councillor David Smith, Denbighshire’s Cabinet Lead Member for Environment, said: “The majority of residents and visitors to Denbighshire act responsibly and dispose of litter lawfully in bins provided or they take their litter home. We thank them for their efforts to keep our streets in Denbighshire clean and tidy.

“However, there is a minority who think it’s appropriate to drop litter. It’s a blight on the landscape, it affects people’s quality of life and it’s one of the most common concerns raised by residents.  

"In recent times, the council has been running an awareness campaign, encouraging people to keep their communities litter-free and educating the public about the health dangers of issues such as dog fouling.  

“This matter is being taken seriously by the council and the enforcement activity against all kinds of environmental crimes continues."
 

Tuesday, September 13, 2016

County launches energy efficiency scheme

Denbighshire County Council is launching its biggest energy efficiency initiative to date, with over 5,000 homes in the county identified as needing improved insulation.

Hundreds of homes across the county have already received insulation improvements as part of a previous scheme, with the council attracting over £5 million to improve the energy performance of houses.

Now  the county council has worked with partners A&M Energy Solutions, Citizens Advice Denbighshire and the North Wales Energy Advice Centre to develop Denbighshire Cosy Homes, to fund the installation of loft and cavity wall insulation for all suitable homes.

Councillor David Smith, Denbighshire’s Cabinet Lead Member for Environment, said: “We are delighted to be working in partnership to promote this scheme and encourage more properties to have better insulation.

“People could get loft and cavity wall insulation installed in their  homes for free, even if the rent the property. Insulating the house will make the house warmer in winter, cooler in summer and reduce fuel bills and carbon dioxide emissions.

"The improvements could save up to £500 per year off your fuel bills.

“All houses will be contacted directly by post to inform them of their suitability and surveyors from A&M will visit the area and contact the households directly to organise for the survey.

A Freephone advice service is being offered by North Wales Energy Advice Centre: 0800 954 0658. If you wish to contact A&M prior to the initiative contact them directly on 0800 318 867 (select Penley Branch) or 01948 83 0824.

Citizens Advice Denbighshire will be offering energy, debt and benefit advice. They can be contacted directly on 01745 814336 (Denbigh), 01745 334 568 (Rhyl), 01824 703483.

Monday, September 12, 2016

Ambulance service hailed for good practice

TWO Welsh Ambulance Service initiatives that help patients in need of mental health care and end of life care have been recognised as examples of good practice.

The Trust’s Mental Health Pathway and End of Life Care Project have both been listed on the Social Care Institute of Excellence’s website.

It comes after submissions were invited to highlight work that has raised awareness and improved implementation of the Mental Capacity Act.

Clinical Support Officer Edward O’Brian, said: “It’s fantastic for the Trust to be recognised nationally and for these initiatives to be published on the Social Care Institute of Excellence’s website.

“A simple pathway has been designed by the Trust to improve the quality and clinical appropriateness of care provided to mental health patients that access the ambulance service.

“The primary aim of the pathway is to better assist those who need an urgent mental health assessment.

“A further aim is to prevent those whose care needs are of a less urgent nature being left waiting for hours in Emergency Departments and then subsequently being discharged.

“When a paramedic is on scene with a patient they can ring the Mental Health Crisis Team and a joint decision is then made as to the best course of action for that patient which would lead to one of three possible outcomes.

“The first would be to leave them at home with signposting to relevant services and the second would be to convey them to the Emergency Department if an underlying medical condition is suspected.

“The third would be a situation in which the patient is deemed to be in need of urgent mental health support. In this case they would be taken directly to a mental health facility.”

The End of Life Care Project aims to prevent unnecessary and unwanted hospital admissions for patients receiving end of life care that access the ambulance service.

Edward, who is also the Trust’s End of Life Care Lead, said that 999 is often accessed for end of life care patients who are suffering from an increase in their symptoms.

He said: “Prior to the Trust making these changes ambulance clinicians have often had to convey these patients to hospital in order to manage their symptoms when they would much rather be at home with their families.

“The Trust has introduced mandatory training in recognition and management of specific symptoms that are often seen in end of life care.

“Clinicians can now provide further treatment by using additional medications within patients’ own homes, thus preventing unnecessary hospital admissions.

“By controlling these symptoms at home patients can then remain at home which is often their preferred place of care.”

Sunday, September 11, 2016

Glyn Valley Tramway work on track


* Mark Isherwood with Ben Williams and Will Appleton.


North Wales Assembly Member Mark Isherwood has praised progress on work to restore the Glyn Valley Tramway to its former glory after visiting the site.  

Anwyl Construction of Deeside recently started a five-day track clearance, operating between Hand Lane Bridge and Levers Bridge (Ty Ririd Cutting).

With this work undertaken the Glyn Valley Tramway Trust (GVTT) will be in a position to lay approximately 700m of ballast and lay the foundations

Mr Isherwood, who has long supported the GVTT in their work to restore the tramway, was among those who visited the site to witness the work get underway.  

He said: “Reinstating the railway will be a major boost to tourism in Chirk and the surrounding area. I have worked with the Trust for a number of years as they have strived to turn their dream of steam trains running here once again into a reality and I would like to congratulate them on all they have achieved to date. I look forward to visiting in the future to see further progress.”  

Saturday, September 10, 2016

Denbighshire "one of best councils in Wales"

Denbighshire County Council continues to be one of the best performing councils in Wales.

Figures compiled by the Local Government Data Unit compare the performance of councils across Wales on a range of issues. 

The results for 2015/16 show that Denbighshire performed in the top half for the majority of activities it was assessed against compared with other councils.

The bulletin shows that Denbighshire was amongst the top five authorities for:

Percentage of highways and land of a high or acceptable level of cleanliness (Denbighshire was the best performer at 100%).

The council also achieved top quartile performance for:

The percentage of reported fly-tipping incidents cleared within five working days.

Average number of days taken to deliver a Disabled Facilities Grant (Denbighshire was the best performing council at 133 days), this is a substantial improvement on the 2014/15 performance (178 days).

Percentage of adult protection referrals where the risk was managed (Denbighshire was the best performer at 100%)

Formerly looked after children who are in contact with the authority at age 19 (Denbighshire was top with 100%)

Formerly looked after children who are in suitable accommodation at age 19 (Denbighshire was top with 100%)

Formerly looked after children known to be engaged in education, training or employment at age 19 (80%)

Third lowest number of average days/shifts per full time employee lost due to sickness (8.47 days/shifts)

Percentage of pupils assessed receiving a Teacher Assessment in Welsh (first language) at the end of Key Stage 3 (21.27%).

Percentage of private sector dwellings (vacant for more than 6 months) returned to occupation (24.61%).
Percentage of children looked after (on 31st March) who have had 3 or more placements during the year (8%).

Percentage of reviews (looked after children) carried out within statutory timescales (96.33%).

Percentage of municipal waste collected that was reused, recycled, composted or treated biologically (62.42%).

Councillor Julian Thompson-Hill, Cabinet Lead Member for Finance, with responsibility for business performance, said: “This report makes very pleasing reading and reflects the commitment and dedication of both staff and councillors for Denbighshire to be a continuing high performing authority, providing the best quality services to its residents and its communities.

“The headlines speak for themselves and we are proud of our achievements. However, we recognise that there is always room for further improvement and we will not become complacent as we work to continue to be as good as we can possibly be in all areas of our work."

* Denbighshire County Council has announced that school meals are to remain at £1.90 for another year.

The service has kept the price for a two-course school meal at the same price for the last four years. 

The council says this has been made possible through managing to maintain the uptake of  meals by providing "popular nutritious menus and making meal times fun with regular theme days in primary schools and varying the food offer in secondary schools across the county."

The School Meals Service is now also working in Partnership with Denbighshire Leisure Services with the aim of promoting healthy eating and healthy living to children across Denbighshire and will be running joint promotions throughout the new school academic year.

Councillor Julian Thompson-Hill, Lead Member for Finance, Corporate Plan and Performance, said: “We are pleased to be able to offer families school meals for their children at the same price as last year.  The meals are excellent value and the menus created with nutrition in mind and will help children and young people to be better prepared for their afternoon lessons.”