Get in touch ...

Know of something happening in
Llangollen?
Tweet
us on
@llanblogger

E-mail your contributions to: llanblogger@gmail.com

We are on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/pages/llanbloggercouk/139122552895186



Thursday, September 27, 2012

Public briefed on big health shake-up

llanblogger special report

There will definitely be no in-patient beds or minor injuries unit in the new primary care centre proposed to replace Llangollen Cottage Hospital.

And the planned new centre would not be open before the hospital is closed.
However, every effort would be made to provide services lost from the hospital in the local area.
These were the main messages which came from health chiefs at Wednesday evening’s public briefing at Llangollen Town Hall on proposed service changes across the region.
The 6pm gathering was the last of three sessions held at the same venue during the day and attracted just over 20 local people.
* Geoff Lang.
Soundings taken at these and similar meetings across the region will be taken into consideration before the Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board, which is proposing the changes, makes up its mind on what exactly will happen, possibly in December.
Seven key members of the board were on the panel.
Director of primary, community and mental health Geoff Lang outlined plans to close the Cottage Hospital and replace it with a new “extended primary care centre”.
From the new facility, he said, social services, the voluntary sector and mental health staff could work closer with resident the resident team of professionals.
While there are currently 10 in-patient beds at the hospital, Mr Lang was clear there would be none in the new centre, with localised in-patient services being provided instead at Chirk Hospital or, for the elderly, in private care homes where these were closer to their homes.
Mr Lang added it was not proposed to provide a minor injuries unit in the new centre, either.
However, he explained that conversations had been taking place with local GPs on whether they might be able to provide minor injuries services in the future.
Questioned from the floor of the meeting on whether phlebotomy (blood) services would be available in the new unit, he said “yes, absolutely”.
A number of points were raised by local county councillor Stuart Davies who said the general view in Llangollen was that the Cottage Hospital was very old and that a new facility to replace it would be welcomed.
He said there were difficulties with the site earmarked for the new centre, currently occupied by the derelict River Lodge  hotel, which were mainly traffic related as it bordered the main A539 road.
Cllr Davies said it had been suggested a bridge could be built over the river to link the site with the town. 
He added local people would like to see at least four in-patient beds in the new centre but conceded that health professionals had said this was not going to happen.
Mr Lang came back to make it clear that “everything, but not the beds, that goes on at Llangollen Hospital will be provided in a primary care centre”.
Cllr Davies then raised the issue of how the proposed changes would be timed, pointing out: “We don’t want to see the hospital closed before a new centre opens”.
The same point was made by town mayor, John Haddy, who added that if there was a two or three year gap between the two and patients became used to having to travel to receive these services elsewhere, this might take pressure off the health board to provide a new health centre in the town.
Mr Lang replied: “Timing is very important. Enhanced care (for the elderly in their own homes) will come on line at the same time or before we close the hospital beds.
“As for the other services, we are looking at ways of keeping these in Llangollen before the primary care centre is provided.”
He suggested that these services might be provided at the existing Llangollen health centre.
Mr Lang added: “We recognise the fears and concerns that if these services go out of the area we might never bring them back.”
He said that across the south Wrexham health area – of which Llangollen is part – about £550,000 would be provided – mainly to cover the cost of extra staff – for enhanced care provision.
Martin Crumpton, who has been active in the campaign to save the Cottage Hospital and was the organiser of a recent move to hold a local referendum on the issue, asked for a straight answer on the timing of the changes in Llangollen, given that building a new primary care centre could take three years.
He also pointed out that the provision of a suitable site for the new facility would be subject to the planning system.
The board’s director of planning Neil Bradshaw (pictured right) said it was guaranteed that alternative services would be in place when the hospital closed.

He added that the Woodlands hotel was the preferred site but that if this could not go ahead the board would have to find another way of delivering its objective.
However, he admitted that Llangollen was a “really challenging area” when it came to finding a suitable site
And he conceded: “We will not have provided the new primary care centre         before the hospital is closed.”
From the floor of the meeting the point was made that there was no evidence the 10 beds at the Cottage Hospital were not needed.
The speaker, a local resident, said that, in fact, as soon as one of the beds became empty there was a queue to fill it.
This won applause from the audience.
The meeting, which was presided over by independent chairman Meirion Hughes, closed after just over 90 minutes.
* A public meeting will be held tonight (Thursday) at The Hand Hotel, starting at 7pm.

It has been called by North Wales Plaid Cyrmu Assembly member Llyr Guffydd in an attempt to persuade local people to orgaise a structured campaign against the hospital closure, similar to the one which saw 1,500 people take part in march through the streets ast week to protest against the proposed closure of Flint Community Hospital.

Banners stolen from Llan pavilion






* Llangollen Pavilion from where the banners were stolen.

The organiser of a wedding fayre  at Llangollen Pavilion on Saturday (September 30) is asking the public to help track down the “lowlife” who stole three large banners advertising the event, which aims to raise cash for charity.

Graham Jones, who runs Wrexham Wedding Directory, told llanblogger:  “We supplied  the banners, two of which were 12ft by 3ft, at the Llangollen Pavilion event last week advertising our wedding fayre on the Saturday.
“This will have a giant charity raffle for Hope House Hospices.
“Now some lowlife  has stolen the banners.
“We are now in contact with Denbighshire Council and local police.
“Let’s hope they have been captured on CCTV … scum!”
Graham, who is based in Wrexham, added:  “The council are at a loss to what has happened as this have never happened before.
“The Pavilion confirmed yesterday that the banners were put up the strong cable ties and they have all been cut away to remove the banners.
“One banner was placed over 10ft off the ground, so someone needed a step ladder to remove it.
“Could you please ask your readers if they have seen anything. Ladders would have been needed to cut down the banner over the walkway.
“They were in place last Friday evening, but not there this morning (Tuesday).
A spokesperson for Denbighshire County Council, which runs the pavilion, said: "We are aware of the thefts and the police are involved." 
 
·         Graham Jones can be contacted on 01691 773587 or via his website at www.wrexhamweddingdirectory.co.uk

 

 

 

Woman's body found in river near Erddig, reports BBC

The BBC and other local media are reporting today that police are investigating the "unexplained" death of a 27-year-old woman whose body was found in a Wrexham river.

According to the BBC news website for North East Wales, the alarm was raised shortly after 5pm on Wednesday by a member of the public, who found the woman on a sand bank in the River Clywedog.
The report adds: “North Wales Police said the body was discovered near Felin Puleston, close to the entrance of Erddig Park.
“People with information are asked to contact police on 101.
“North Wales Fire and Rescue Service and the ambulance service also attended the scene.
“Police said the local coroner had been informed of the death.”

 

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

llanblogger's video of the raging River Dee

llanblogger took this video film of the River Dee as a raging torrent yesterday (Tuesday) following the heavy rain.

We hope readers enjoy it ...





Llan could become "last town in Wales to be ruined by a supermarket"

Warning from anti-Sainsbury's campaigner

to government official

Unless the Welsh Government has a re-think about calling-in plans for a new Sainsbury’s, Llangollen will become known as the “last town in Wales to be ruined by a supermarket”.
That is the warning from anti-supermarket campaigner Martin Crumpton in a letter to John Saunders, the government official who last week outlined the reasons why the controversial application for the site of Dobson & Crowther printworks in Berwyn Street – approved by Denbighshire planning committee last Wednesday - would not be held up while it was reviewed by Cardiff.
In a nine-page letter, Mr Saunders, of the decisions branch of the government’s planning division, told Mr Crumpton that none of the agencies asked for their views on the application had raised any objections to it.
These included the government’s own transport experts, historic buildings body Cadw and the Countryside Commission.
Consequently, Mr Saunders said in his letter he saw no reason to call-in the application, which the developers claim will create 109 full-time equivalent jobs.
But now Mr Crumpton has sent a letter back to Mr Saunders, which we bring you here, unedited:
“Dear Mr Saunders, there are seven criteria for considering a call-in request.
- in conflict with national planning policies;
- raises issues which would have wide effects beyond their immediate locality;
- gives rise to controversy beyond the immediate locality;
- affects sites of scientific, nature conservation or historic interest;
- raises issues of national security; or
- raises novel planning issues.
In your letter, which I received on Saturday, you gave your explanation for refusing a call-in in clinical detail. You have dismissed the claim that the issue goes beyond local interest, and though I certainly dispute this and have provided evidence to the contrary, most especially regarding controversy, it was a matter for your judgment.
Similarly, you dismissed my claims of negative impact on the scientific, nature conservation and historic interest of the area, but I can see the statutory consultees have not supported my views.
You have not commented upon my assertion that the effect on tourism will be widespread and damaging. Perhaps there are no statutory consultees for this.
You may also recall that, in the last category of novel planning issues, I even raised the issue of secondary or indirect discrimination on those elderly, disabled and with no means of private transport who would be disenfranchised if the proposed Sainsbury’s has the predictable effect of driving their nearest store, the Co-op, out of business. Are there no statutory consultees for these vulnerable groups? Again, you made no comments regarding this criteria.
However, most importantly, nowhere in your letter – which I’ve re-read several times – have you addressed the issue of conflict with national policies, for which I have provided incontrovertible evidence (and I do so again as an attachment).
Perhaps you would be kind enough to explain why breaches of national policy were not considered, and perhaps you might agree that they should have been, and so reconsider your decision as a matter of urgency. If you agree to give this your consideration, I would ask you to contact Denbighshire County Council and prevent them issuing Decision Notices until your deliberations are complete.
I would wish to add that, had the LDP in Denbighshire not been delayed from 2011 until 2013, it would have – and will – incorporate the national policy restriction of limiting edge-of-town new stores to 500m2, instead of the 1858m2 planned.
It is no fault of the residents that the new LDP has been so disastrously delayed. It is a loophole exploited by the developer that Denbighshire continues to follow an out-dated and expired UDP.
Consequently, unless you reconsider, Llangollen will earn the epithet of being The Last Town In Wales To Be Ruined By A Supermarket. I’m sure you would not wish that.”

12th century brought to vivid life near castle

 
 
* From left, re-enactors Rhodri Bach, Nahir ap Neb and Switht in a vicious skirmish.
 
 
 
* Group members known as Llewellyn,
front, and
Killi, seated, prepare a meal on an open
fire at the encampment.
 

* Llwyd ap Tegid outside her
authentic linen tent.




* Helen of Antioch busy outside her tent.

 
 
 
* The 12th century encampment in the
shadow of of Castell Dinas Bran.
MORE than 500 people stepped back in time to sample Welsh life 800 years ago in Llangollen over the weekend.
Medieval re-enactment group Cwmwd Iâl were camped just below Castell Dinas Brân, on the area known locally as the Pancake, on Saturday and Sunday.
The North East Wales-based group  were there to depict life as it was in the year 1165 on the day before the legendary Battle of Crogen, which was fought in the nearby Ceiriog Valley between an alliance of Welsh princes and the forces of King Henry II of England.
Although outnumbered, the ambush tactics and valour of the Welsh aided them in their defeat of King Henry's army.
Visitors were able to find out about the sort of things the Welsh fighters ate, their clothes, healing and warfare techniques as well as watch set-piece battles on the hillside.
About 30 re-enactors, all wearing authentic clothing of the period, set up camp in the shadow of the castle with linen tents and cooking fires.
About 10 of them were hardy enough to spend two nights in the tents.
All group members insist on using their 12th century names, and one of those who slept in the encampment, known as Llwyd ap Tegid, said: “It was very chilly but once you get settled in your animal furs and cloaks it’s quite cosy.” 
Another group member with a story to tell was a lady known as Helen of Antioch.
Keeping in character, she said: “My brother had been fighting in the Crusades and was wounded.
“I went out there to look after him but he died, so I had his body boiled in vinegar so I could bring the bones back home with me to Wales.”
A group spokeswoman  known as Heulwen said: “It has been a very successful weekend.
“We set up our encampment and demonstrated  a range of activities for people who came to see us.
“On our open fires we cooked rabbit stew and pheasant.
“We have also had a number of skirmishes to show fighting techniques of the period.
“We have also been teaching young visitors to our camp to fight with wooden swords and sticks, which they enjoyed very much.”
She added: “Over the weekend we must have had a total of about 500 people coming to see us.”
The event was organised by Denbighshire’s Countryside team.
A modern marquee housed fun children’s activities and information about the local area, part of the Clwydian Range and Dee Valley Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty and close to a World Heritage Site.
There were walks up to the castle from The Pancake throughout the day.
A special bus service ran between the town and the encampment.

Youngsters ready to tuck into Llan's big food event

 
* Salad days at Ysgol Y Gwernant, with from left, pupils Lily Anderson,
Tomas Griffiths, Courtney Phillips and Ben Hacking with Denbighshire Healthy Schools Co-ordinator Paula Roberts and School cook Joy Pingram.

Schoolchildren are learning all about healthy eating as they get ready to take part in an annual food fiesta, Hamper Llangollen 2012.
The Llangollen Food Festival takes place on Saturday and Sunday, October 20 and 21, but earlier that week, on Tuesday, October 16, there is a special all-day children’s event at the festival site at the International Eisteddfod Pavilion.
It will see 150 Year Five and Six children from seven local primary schools enjoying workshops ranging from the best drinks and foods for sportsmen and women to nutrition to preparing, cooking and eating a meal as well as instruction on sausage-making and bee-keeping.
The festival is supported by rural regeneration agency Cadwyn Clwyd through the Rural Development Fund for Wales 2007-2013, funded by the European Agricultural Fund for Rural Development (EAFRD) and the Welsh Government.
Robert Price, Cadwyn Clwyd Agri-Food Project Officer, said: “It’s really important to involve young people in the festival so they can learn about how food is produced and about the importance of a good diet.
“The work being done in schools by Paula and her colleagues is vital and they make the business of food, health and nutrition fun while still getting their message across to the children.”
This year’s Hamper Llangollen will also feature three of Wales’s top chefs, Graham Tinsley, the star of ITV’s Taste the Nation and a former captain of the Welsh Culinary Team, S4C favourite Dudley Newberry and the ever popular Dai Chef, who is returning to the event after an absence of several years.
Schools involvement in the event has been a regular feature, according to Denbighshire Healthy Schools Co-ordinator Paula Roberts who has been at one nof the participating schools, Ysgol Y Gwernant, in Llangollen, this week.
Paula, who works with all Denbighshire’s primary and secondary schools, said:“The school has just passed the third stage of the Welsh network of Healthy Schools Scheme and is very committed to the project and the food festival fits in very well with the scheme.
“Health and well-being are very important and all the schools involved are fully signed up to the scheme and it’s a lot of fun as well and the pupils learn about how to prepare a nutritious meal.
“Children who have school meals every day will get 30 per cent of their nutrition from those meals and school cooks also work very hard to make sure they provide tasty and nutritious menus.”
Ysgol Y Gwernant Cook Joy Pingram said: “We provide a full range of meals for the children including vegetarian and salad options and they really enjoy them and all the menus are very carefully worked out.
“We have a School Nutrition Action group or Snac, with a pupils from each year and staff members and they talk about the food and give us ideas about what they would like to try.
“It’s not chips with everything and they are very good for trying different foods and we even had a competition to design a healthy meal and we cooked it and served it to the whole school.”
Ten-year-old Tomas Griffiths said: “I like cooking at home, especially chocolate brownies but I don’t think they’re very healthy.”
Courtney Phillips, nine, said: “I like pizzas and salads and the lasagne we had in school this week. I’d like to learn how to cook it.”
Robert Price added: “In addition to many favourites, we have lots of new food producers wanting to come this year.
“Thanks to a whole host of indigenous companies, North East Wales is rapidly establishing a reputation as a centre of excellence for high quality cuisine.
“The food festival is a perfect shop window for the companies who form the backbone of our rural economy.
“The location of the Pavilion is absolutely spectacular – I can’t imagine that any other food festival in the UK has a more beautiful setting.”