Get in touch ...

Know of something happening in
Llangollen?
Tweet
us on
@llanblogger

E-mail your contributions to: llanblogger@gmail.com

We are on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/pages/llanbloggercouk/139122552895186



Saturday, November 20, 2021

Emergency services team up to protect the vulnerable

The Welsh Ambulance Service has partnered with fire and rescue services to launch a new initiative to better protect vulnerable people at risk of an accident in their home.

The new system allows ambulance crews to e-refer at-risk patients to their fire and rescue service counterparts in North, Mid and West and South Wales for a Safe and Well check.

Fire crews can then visit the property to mitigate any risks.

Nikki Harvey, the Welsh Ambulance Service’s Head of Safeguarding, said: “Ambulance crews go to a patient’s property to deliver medical interventions, but often while they’re there, they’ll spot things in the home which raise a red flag.

“It could be that there isn’t a smoke alarm, that electrical sockets are overloaded or that there’s a build-up of fat on cooking appliances, all of which present a fire hazard.

“It could be that the patient has cigarette burns on their clothes or furniture, or that the patient’s hoarding has blocked an escape route.

“The new referral form – which our crews complete on an iPad – streamlines the process completely and makes it easier than ever before to enlist the support of fire service colleagues and safeguard that patient.

“Anything that we can do collectively to improve patient safety, mitigate the risk of accidents and prevent harm could reduce 999 calls in the future.”

Tim Owen, Community Safety Manager at North Wales Fire and Rescue Service, on behalf of the three Welsh fire and rescue services, said: “The Welsh Ambulance Service and the regional fire services in Wales work together operationally every day.

“This agreement will enable us to extend this work, identifying those most at risk and vulnerable in our communities to make them safer.

“The sharing of information will enable us to develop the principles of the Wellbeing of Future Generations Act, targeting our services to those in most need of support.

“It will also provide a template for promoting future joint working.”

If you are aware of a vulnerable person in your community who would benefit from a Safe and Well check, please contact your local fire and rescue service.

Friday, November 19, 2021

Book of condolence for legend Wyn now open at tourist information centre


* Dennis Williams and Barbara Matthews with the condolence book at the Tourist Information Centre.

llanblogger in association with Llangollen's town clerk has arranged for a book of condolence to be opened for him in the Tourist Information Centre.

Wyn – affectionately known as Wyn Paraffin – recently passed away in Chirk  where he had been re-couperating from a stroke.

As soon as news of his passing became known there was a flood of moving tributes from a host of people who knew and admired him.

There was a suggestion from the manager of Llangollen FC, Damien Tobin,  that such comments could be added to an official book of remembrance to be held in a central venue.

So llanblogger contacted the Tourist Information Office in Castle where the team immediately said they would be honoured to host the book in memory of Wyn.

And the book in which people can write their tributes is to be provided courtesy of town clerk Gareth Thomas.     

It is available for written contributions from Mondays-Wednesdays 9.30am-5pm - not on Thursdays when the centre is closed - and on Fridays and Saturdays from 9.30am-5pm.

llanblogger's Phil Robinson said: "I am extremely grateful to the Tourist Information Centre and the town clerk for their help in making this gesture possible.

"Judging by the number of warm tributes received following Wyn's death many, many people would wish to sign the book of condolence.

"He was most certainly one of the town's best-loved figures and, as was said plenty of times in the social media tributes to him, a true legend of Llangollen."   

A separate book of condolence for Wyn has also been placed in St Collen's Church by Father Lee Taylor.  

At their monthly meeting earlier this week members of the town council agreed to dedicate one of the wooden benches along the back wall of Centenary Square to Wyn's memory. 

His funeral is due to take place at St Collen's next Thursday, December 2 at 12noon and then at Wrexham Crematorium at 1.30pm.

Crimebusters urged to apply for haul of cash

* PCC Andy Dunbobbin with Superintendent Helen Corcoran and PACT North Wales chair Ashley Rogers. 

Local crime busters in North Wales are being urged to bid for a share of a £60,000 pot of money seized from crooks.

According to North Wales Police and Crime Commissioner Andy Dunbobbin, the Your Community Your Choice fund will be used to recycle the ill-gotten gains of criminals for the benefit of communities across the region.

The initiative is a partnership between Mr Dunbobbin, the North Wales Police and Community Trust (PACT) and North Wales Police.

Half the money is being contributed by the commissioner with the rest coming cash confiscated from criminals via the Proceeds of Crime Act.

As a result, three community groups in each county in North Wales will receive up to £2,500 each whilst there will be three £5,000 grants available for organisations working across three or more counties.

After opening on November 15, the window for groups to submit applications runs until December 10, with the winners being chosen by a public poll.

A shortlist of applicants will be chosen by a special panel and voting opens on January 10  and runs until February 4.

All bids need to support the commissioner’s Police and Crime Plan in which delivering safer neighbourhoods and supporting communities are key priorities.

Mr Dunbobbin said: “This is social justice in action because the Your Community Your Choice scheme is about turning bad money into good money to support our communities from the Flintshire Bridge to Menai Bridge and right across the rest of the region.

“The successful projects will be ones that support the strategic priorities in my Police and Crime Plan

“I want to flip that on its head so that we have a series of community-led initiatives, providing positive outcomes for the people living in those areas.

“As well as having applications from our larger towns, I would like to encourage groups from rural areas coming forward because I am proud to represent all the communities in North Wales and be as inclusive as possible.”

PACT chair Ashley Rogers said: “What I particularly like is the democratic nature of the Your Community Your Choice scheme.

“It’s about community groups applying for grants and then it’s the communities themselves who decide who gets the funding. That’s magical.

“One thing that all applicants will need to do is to discuss their proposal with their local neighbourhood policing team and to be endorsed by their district inspector before submitting their application.

“There’s a certain Robin Hood element to it that I think people love and has made it such a successful scheme, underlined by the fact that it attracted more than 30,000 votes last year.

“I’m very proud that PACT is able to deliver this on behalf of the PCC and North Wales Police and I’d encourage voluntary groups and charities to submit their applications.”

Superintendent Helen Corcoran added: “The Your Community Your Choice fund hits at the very heart of what we’re trying to achieve.

“There are so many worthy community groups out there, and this initiative is about the police and the community working together to actually make things safer for the public of North Wales, with the added benefit of course is that a lot of the money comes from criminals.

“We want to support communities so they are able to take responsibility for their own areas.

“Community groups can do a great deal to make their local areas safer, reduce crime and reduce re-offending, It also sends a good message to the communities because it shows we are listening to them.”

* Completed applications must be returned by e-mail to yourcommunityyourchoice@nthwales.pnn.police.uk by 5pm on the closing date of December 10. For more information go to the commissioner’s website www.northwales-pcc.gov.uk  or the PACT website www.pactnorthwales.co.uk

Suzuki on song with this catchy little number



Suzuki Ignis drive by Steve Rogers

It's funky, it's fun, and it won't break the bank.

Sounds like something worth having and you get it all with the Suzuki Ignis, it even comes with four wheel drive.

Suzuki describe it as a compact crossover which means it is a small city car with SUV looks because of its raised ride height and surprisingly roomy cabin. If first appeared in our showrooms in 2017 making a big impact with eye catching styling and clever packaging for a car only 3.7 metres.

It was shortlisted for global car of the year which says a lot for its potential and it hasn't done too badly for the Japanese company known more for its motorbikes and power boat engines.

Ignis has just had a bit of a facelift with a striking grille design, bumpers and a new dual injection hybrid engine. Has it lived up to its expectations, let's find out?

I liked the look of Ignis from day one, it was a breath of fresh air in a host of city car rivals that lacked character and nearly all looked the same. The big selling point was, and still is, its roomy cabin, easily capable of carrying four adults with ample leg and headroom so an important box ticked.

The tall SUV styling helps boost boot space, not that you get much in a city car, but 267 litres is not to be sniffed at although be aware that drops to 204 litres with the Allgrip model.

There is a cheery look to the cabin with delicately coloured inlay options to break up the black trim which is low rent hard plastic all round. That is not unusual in cars of this class and when considering costs this is the obvious place to do it but if not bothering with a rear cabin light was part of the plan it is a bad idea.

A seven inch touchscreen sits proud in the centre of the dash and controls radio, Bluetooth and navigation (standard only on top SZ5) and ties in with Apple CarPlay, Android Auto or Mirrorlink. Some rivals have systems that are easier to fathom but it does the job and thankfully has nothing to do with the heating controls which are physical buttons.

Economy is all important at this end of the market and while not a class leader Ignis, with its new engine, fairs well and matched the 51mpg average for the Allgrip. Stick with two wheel drive and you could be edging towards 60mpg.

Performance is hardly sparkling but pick up at low revs is so Ignis can pull away when rivals might need to drop a gear. It is a tad noisy once the revs mount and might benefit from extra sound proofing but it all adds to the cost.

Kit level is good across the three model range which starts at £14k and bursting with goodies at top SZ5 grade. A good bet is the middle ground manual SZ-T at £15,499, an automatic CVT gearbox puts another £1000 on the price tag.

If Ignis was a song we would call it a 'catchy little number'. Its strength is its appeal across the age range. The shape is still fresh and groovy enough to attract young drivers while the increased ride height suits older folk who need a car that's easy to get in and out.

Fast facts

Ignis SZ5 Allgrip 5sp manual

£17499

1.2 litre; 83bhp

0-62 12.8secs; 103mph

51.9mpg combined

123g/km. 1st VED £175

Boot: 204litres

Insurance group 21

Thursday, November 18, 2021

ARRIVA bus strike action suspended

The Leader is reporting this evening that ARRIVA bus driver strike action has been suspended, Unite The Union has confirmed.

The story says: "The union is suspending its Industrial action at Arriva Cymru with immediate effect.

Regional Officer, Jo Goodchild said: “Unite is suspending its industrial action at Arriva following an improved pay offer from the employer.

"We will now be balloting our members on the new offer”.

Free after three for Christmas car parking in county


* Market Street in one of the car parks is included in the free after three initiative. 

The festive ‘Free After Three’ parking scheme is returning to Council-run car parks

Between November 21 and December 31, Council-run town centre car parks will be free to use every day from 3pm.

Denbighshire County Council has brought back this festive initiative to encourage more people to use their local high street for shopping in the run up to Christmas and New Year.

The Free After Three initiative will be available in the following car parks:

• Llangollen - Market Street, East Street, Hall Street and Mill Street.

• Corwen - Green Lane

• Denbigh - Barkers Well Lane, Factory Ward, Crown Lane, Post Office Lane and Vale Street.

• Prestatyn - Lower High Street, Kings Avenue and Railway Station.

• Rhuddlan - Parliament Street

• Rhyl - Central, Morley Road, West Kinmel Street, Library (disabled bays only), Town Hall, Sky Tower and Railway Station.

• Ruthin - Market Street, Park Road, Crispin Yard, Troed Y Rhiw, Rhos Street and St Peters Square

• St Asaph - Bowling Green

Morfa Hall private car park, Rhyl, is not included in the initiativem

Cllr Brian Jones, Lead Member for Waste, Transport and the Environment said: “We are very pleased to be able to offer the ‘Free After Three’ parking initiative for another year.

“Communities need our support this year more than ever, so we hope that people and businesses take full advantage of the benefits of this scheme by using the county’s town centre car parks free of charge.

“The free after three scheme supports the Council’s on-going #LoveLiveLocal campaign which highlights the importance of shopping local.

“We hope that this scheme encourages more people visit our town centres and see what they have to offer. Denbighshire businesses offer a wide variety of products and services which appeal to all. Together lets #LoveLiveLocal and support our communities."


 

Senedd Member questions Minister over Newbridge landslide road


* Landslide damage on the B5605 between Newbridge and Cefn Mawr.  

North Wales MS Mark Isherwood has questioned the Minister for Rural Affairs and North Wales over funding to repair and reopen the B5605 between Newbridge and Cefn Mawr, which has been closed since January due to a landslide. 

Speaking in yesterday’s meeting of the Welsh Parliament, Mr Isherwood, who has been liaising with residents affected by the road closure and Wrexham County Council, emphasised the need to carry out the repairs as soon as possible and questioned the Minister, Lesley Griffiths MS, over funding to do this. 

He said: “Earlier this year, I visited the site of the landslide between Newbridge and Cefn Mawr caused by Storm Christoph, with the B5605 there closed. 

“When I wrote to the Welsh Government about this damage to key infrastructure, the Deputy Minister for Climate Change’s response in July stated that Wrexham Council’s funding application to the Welsh Government  ‘was unsuccessful because repair works would not reduce the risk of flooding to properties and would only benefit the highway’. 

“Wrexham Council’s Environment and Transport lead then wrote ‘we anticipate repair costs of circa £1 million and are concerned that without some support the Council will be unable to fund these storm related damages’. 

“As an affected constituent wrote this month ‘many in these villages do not have cars … needing transport which involves walking miles to the nearest bus stops, or having to hire costly taxis’. 

“Earlier this month, the council confirmed that they had secured Welsh Government funding for advice from Geo-technical consultants and will be submitting a business case for Welsh Government funding.

“How do you respond to their statement that ‘the biggest obstacle will be securing funding this financial year to enable us to plan and carry out the works as soon as possible’?” 

In her response the Minister said: “My understanding, when I last had a discussion around this issue with the deputy leader of Wrexham County Borough Council was that they believed the ball was firmly in their court, and they were processing their application, so I don't recognise that.” 

Speaking after the meeting, Mr Isherwood said: “This was a very strange response, given that it was Wrexham Council’s Deputy Leader and Lead Member for Environment & Transport who stated in an e-mail sent to myself and others earlier this month that ‘As soon as we are ready we will be submitting a business case for funding for the road to be rebuilt, I am sorry that this has taken so long but we should by the end of this year be in a position to bid for funding. The biggest obstacle will be securing funding this financial year to enable us to plan and carry our the works as soon as possible’.”