Get in touch ...

Know of something happening in
Llangollen?
Tweet
us on
@llanblogger

E-mail your contributions to: llanblogger@gmail.com

We are on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/pages/llanbloggercouk/139122552895186



Thursday, October 7, 2021

Custodians of Dee Valley are celebrated at Wenffrwd

* The Custodians exhibition at Wenffrwd pocket park.

A group of people dedicated to preserving the Dee Valley's cultural and natural heritage are being celebrated in pictures and words at the new pocket park just outside Llangollen.

As part of the Clwydian Range and Dee Valley Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty's Picturesque Landscape project it is working with a number of artists in residence.

Amongst them are husband and wife Jessica and Philip Hatcher-Moore who currently have an exhibition of their work at the Wenffrwd site off the A539.

Entitled Custodians, it profiles a number of people who are involved in preserving the valley’s heritage. So far, they have done five characters, and we will be adding to the exhibition in the coming months.     

The Hatcher-Moores are based in the Dee Valley. 

Jessica is an award-winning journalist, author and travel writer who worked for the Guardian in East Africa for five years before making a home in North Wales.

Her storytelling is characterised by unheard voices and improbable things.

Jessica’s first book, After Birth, about postnatal recovery, was published by Profile in May 2021. 

Husband Philip is a photographer living on a hillside in North Wales. 

His work, which has been recognised by several international awards and exhibitions, explores society’s relationship with the landscape and environment, and spans more than a decade of reportage from across the globe.

Wednesday, October 6, 2021

County launches website for weekly updates on 2020 scheme

Denbighshire County Council, in partnership with Welsh Government and Transport for Wales, is currently making improvements to Castle Street, Llangollen.

This 2020 scheme includes the creation of:

  • wider footways
  • improved and safer junctions
  • new traffic signals and a pedestrian crossing
  • new one-way systems
  • resurfacing works

There will be some road closures and temporary traffic lights but the council says it  will work closely with local residents and businesses to listen to any concerns and minimise disruption.

The works should be completed by Spring 2022. 

In a bid to keep in touch with developments on a weekly basis the council has set up a website for updates.

You can log onto it at: https://www.denbighshire.gov.uk/en/parking-roads-and-travel/roadworks/llangollen-2020.aspx

This week's work schedule:

Monday 4 October 2021

Set up traffic management (temporary traffic signals) from the bridge up to just before the junction with Market Street.

Start saw cutting for the new kerb line outside the Royal Hotel into Bridge Street.

Tuesday 5 October 2021

Continue with the work on Bridge Street.

Prepare for the new kerb line along Castle Street.

Wednesday 6 October 2021

Start to lay new kerbs on Bridge street.

Dig out along Castle Street ready for the new kerbs to be laid.

Thursday 7 October 2021

Continue with Castle Street kerb preparations.

Dig up the path along Bridge Street.

Friday 8 October 2021

Lay new kerbs along Castle Street.

First Minister praises "hugely impressive" health centre

* Sir Keir Starmer, left, Ken Skates and Mark Drakeford, far right, speak to practice manager Tessa Orton-Jones outside the health centre during their visit last April.

The “hugely impressive” team at Llangollen Health Centre had their praises sung in the Senedd yesterday by the First Minister.  

Mark Drakeford and local MS Ken Skates also hailed the efforts of all GP surgery and health centre staff in Wales during First Minister’s Questions on Tuesday.  

When primary health services in North Wales were brought up, Clwyd South MS Mr Skates said: “First Minister, during and before the pandemic you were a regular visitor to GP surgeries in Clwyd South, including in Chirk and Llangollen.   

“Would you join me in congratulating all staff at GP surgeries for the incredible work they've done during the pandemic, including, of course, reception staff? Would you also join me in condemning all abusive behaviour towards primary care health staff?”  

The First Minister responded: “I absolutely do that. I thank Ken Skates. It was at his invitation that I went both to Chirk, a little while ago now, but far more recently to the fantastic surgery in Llangollen, a 21st-century surgery with all the facilities that you need to run a modern primary care service.   

“It was hugely impressive hearing directly from the staff there of the way in which they had organised their services during the coronavirus pandemic, the enormous number of vaccinations they were able to do in a single day because of the way that they'd organised the services for that local population, and to hear not just from GPs but, as Ken Skates has said, from the practice manager and others who provide that service.   

“It is a brilliant example, and hugely appreciated by that local population, and I completely agree, as I'm sure Members right across the Chamber do, with what Ken Skates said. None of those people should be subject to abuse for doing the fantastic job that they have done.”  

The First Minister visited Llangollen Health Centre with Mr Skates and UK Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer in April – one of a number of times he’s visited the town this year.  

In 2014 Mr Drakeford, then Health Minister, announced £5m of Welsh Government funding to create a new health centre for the town following a campaign launched by previous Assembly Member Karen Sinclair and taken up by Mr Skates following his election in 2011.  

The former River Lodge building on the banks of the Dee had been bought by the Welsh Labour Government in 2007.  

Police appeal for witnesses to A5 collision

Wrexham.com is reporting that An appeal for witnesses has been launched after three people were taken to hospital following a road traffic collision on the A5 in Glyndyfrdwy last Friday afternoon (October 1st).

At 3:43pm, North Wales Police received a report of a three-vehicle collision involving a grey Jaguar F-Pace (which was towing a caravan), a green Skoda Yeti and a grey Mercedes sprinter on the A5.

Emergency services attended the incident and the driver of one vehicle, and the driver and passenger from another vehicle were all taken to the Wrexham Maelor Hospital.

One man has sustained serious injuries.

Police are now appealing for any witnesses and are keen to speak to anybody who may have been travelling along the A5 between Corwen and Llangollen around the time of the collision, and who may have dash cam footage, to contact officers at the Roads Policing Unit via the website or by calling 101, quoting reference number 21000682951.

Tuesday, October 5, 2021

Minister responds to "perfect storm" of local roadworks claim

* Gridlock on Regent Street caused by roadworks on September 17.

A town councillor has received a response from a Welsh Government minister to his complaints that Llangollen has been trapped in the "perfect storm" of roadworks.

Last month Stuart Davies called for national roads bosses to "get their act together" to manage major congestion in the town.

On September 17 roadworks around the retaining wall of the A5 on Queen Street, which are due to last 33 weeks, caused gridlock along Regent Street as heavy Friday afternoon traffic queued in both directions to negotiate the temporary lights set up just after the Birch Hill junction.

Cllr Davies also warned of problems caused by the night-time diversion of traffic through Llangollen from the A483/A5 for maintenance on the viaducts and the disruption by work on the town's own 2020 re-shaping project. 

He said in a statement to llanblogger at the time: "The perfect storm is happening here and now, something I warned about weeks ago."

His recent letter to Welsh Government bosses about this has now prompted a response from Deputy Minister for Climate Change, Lee Waters MS.    

Mr Waters says: "Whilst I appreciate your concerns, I can assure you that the recent Temporary Traffic Regulation Order that has been put in place does not mean that the A483 will be permanently closed for the duration of 18 months.

"The Order enables temporary closures to take place as required during the 18 month period, to undertake planned routine cyclic maintenance on the A483 and can also be used reactively in the event of an incident such as following a safety barrier collision or potholes, to allow a repair to take place.

"The most recent temporary closure on the A483 between Ruabon and Halton occurred overnight between 6 and 10 September to allow an investigation of the structural security of the viaducts in the Dee and Ceiriog Valleys. 

"Our agent will not be undertaking any further planned closures of the A483 Junction 1 to Halton Roundabout following the overnight essential structural repairs until the retaining wall repairs to the East of Llangollen and Llangollen 2020 schemes are completed. 

"Details of all planned closures are made available on the Traffic Wales website and I can assure you that our Trunk Road Agent liaises with the local authority when full closures are being planned, to agree the appropriate diversion route for all vehicle types and to plan around any other works that may also be scheduled along the diversion route. 

"With regards to ongoing and planned works in Llangollen it is unfortunate that two schemes will be running concurrently during the remainder of 2021 and early 2022. 

"Due to funding constraints and safety issues, it is necessary that these schemes are completed within the current financial year and North and Mid Wales Road Traffic Agent (NMWTRA) are working in collaboration with Denbighshire County Council to minimise disruption in the area as much as possible. 

"Regular coordination meetings are scheduled between the contractors and traffic management subcontractors for the Llangollen 2020 High Street Improvement and A5 Llangollen Retaining Wall Strengthening schemes. 

"Every effort is being made to phase traffic management on both schemes to minimise disruption to the travelling public."

Mr Waters adds: "NWMTRA is currently considering mitigation measures to ease traffic flows on the A5 in the event of an emergency closure of the A483 necessitating the use of the A5 as an emergency diversion route in addition to currently being operated as a diversionary route following a landslip at Newbridge.

"NMWTRA has instructed the contractor for the retaining wall strengthening scheme to apply temporary removal of the traffic management during such events. The contractor has also been instructed to shorten the length of traffic management whenever possible. 

"With regards to repairs to the B5605 at Newbridge, my officials recently met with Wrexham Council officers to discuss support. We have now received and are currently assessing an application for funding this financial year for ground investigation and detailed design works. These works will inform a future application by the council for funding for construction of the remedial works required. 

"We consider the road space issue is being managed as effectively as possible given the close proximity of the two schemes and the timescale for their completion. 

"However, I recognise the frustrations of the residents of Llangollen and thank them for their patience and understanding to enable NMWTRA to undertake these essential works that will safeguard the travelling public."

Cllr Davies said: "We need our elected Denbighshire County Council representatives to be more pro-active in highlighting concerns such as this and ensuring that our lives are disrupted as little as possible during the works."

Listen carefully, 'Allo 'Allo is back on again

Members of Llangollen Twenty Club have picked up rehearsals for their forthcoming production of the comedy 'All 'Allo which were cut short by the pandemic.

Their presentation of the iconic 1980s farce by Jeremy Lloyd and David Croft was originally planned to have  been staged in March 2020 but had to be reluctantly put on hold due to Covid restrictions.

Now the show's director Chrissie Ashworth says: "I really think the wait will be worth it as the cast and crew are as keen as ever to get on with it.

"We've have had time to rethink some scenes, and I'm sure people will be keen to enjoy an evening of pure comedy." 

Set in 1940s occupied France during the Second World War, it has characters larger than life, featuring the hapless cafe owner Rene, who has a roving eye, his long-suffering wife Edith, waitresses Mimi and Yvette, who like nothing better than an illicit clinch with Rene, and the formidable resistance worker Michelle (Listen very carefully, I will tell you only once).

There's also  the  unfortunate policeman Crabtree with his mispronunciation of words plus a host of unforgettable characters who are either German, French or Italian. 

This play has a longer run than usual, as seating capacity will be reduced to make it a safer place. 

All seats are unreserved and there are some cafe-style tables and chairs for those who arrive early. 

Bookings can be made through Ticket Source, from Courtyard Bookshop, Jennis of Market Street Llangollen, and the Oggie Shop next to the town hall. For telephone enquiries call 01978 869394.    

'Allo 'Allo runs at Llangollen Town Hall from Tuesday-Saturday November 9-13, at 7.30pm, with a Saturday matinee at 2.30 pm.

* The show comes in a milestone year for the Twenty Club as October 21 sees its 75th anniversary.


Manic performance from this red hot baby Toyota





Toyota GR Yaris drive by Steve Rogers

It looks like a baby Toyota Yaris and has a Yaris badge on the tailgate but this pint sized scorcher has little in common with its big brother.

This is the GR Yaris, Toyota's WRC rally car minus a roll cage and tiptronic gearbox, but decked out in everything needed for comfortable everyday motoring.... and the performance is manic.

If I didn't have to write about this car I would be lost for words, it is the hooligan of all hooligans and without doubt the most exciting car I have driven in 40 years as a motoring writer.

So how can I get so excited about a Yaris? There are a few things to clear up. The GR shares only six components with the normal Yaris, the rest is pure rally car. And the great Finnish rally ace Tommi Makinen helped develop the car which has a bespoke platform, bodyshell and engine.

The build team's target was for the best possible downforce, aerodynamic performance and stability and they have smashed it. The bodyshell is a mix of aluminium and carbon fibre so the car is super light at 1260kg. The carbon polymer roof is so strong an adult can jump on it and has a severe slope to accommodate the wing for the rally car.

The engine is a turbo charged 1.6 litre with 257bhp and is the world's smallest, lightest and most powerful three-cylinder. To complete the performance story GR is four wheel drive.

There we have it then but what is it like to drive and be driven in. Ask my wife and she will say it is far too uncomfortable. Well it is a rally car dear so the suspension is bound to be stiff but she did concede it was 'very very fast'.

That said my view is that GR's staggering performance is pushed into second place by the sensational grip. There are plenty of cars that can beat the GR to 60mph but I doubt there are many that can hold the road as well.

The best analogy driving GR is that it's like being behind the wheel of a race car in a computer game. Mere mortals would have to be incredibly reckless to lose control of the GR because it will go round bends faster than we have the nerve to take them. Whatever your limit, and I am talking about good fast drivers, add 30 per cent for a GR in professional hands.

Coming back to reality the cabin of GR is standard Yaris apart from special rally seats, a raised gearstick for faster changes, and drilled aluminium pedals. It has a full suite of safety features and all the usual bells and whistles found on a top of the range model.

Because the FIA, the governing body for world motorsport, decreed that a homologation of the GR rally car had to be road worthy and fit for competition Toyota built 25,000 of which 2,200 came to the UK. The bad news is that they have all been sold and the lords and masters in Japan have not decided whether any more will be built.

One thing is for sure, the GR is going to be an expensive commodity on the second hand market.

I have driven some super fast cars in the last four decades but nothing compares with the GR Yaris.

Remember this car because it will go down as the hottest hot hatch of all time.

Fast facts

GR Yaris GR-Four

£30,020

1.6 turbo, 257bhp, 6sp manual

0-62mph 5.5secs; 143mph

34.3mpg combined

186g/km; 1st VED £870

Insurance group 35