Get in touch ...

Know of something happening in
Llangollen?
Tweet
us on
@llanblogger

E-mail your contributions to: llanblogger@gmail.com

We are on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/pages/llanbloggercouk/139122552895186



Saturday, December 21, 2019

New MP votes for EU Withdrawal Bill


* Simon Baynes MP, left, with Brexit Minister James Duddridge MP.

Simon Baynes MP fulfilled his promise to voters in Clwyd South by voting, for the first time as a new MP, for the Second Reading in Parliament of the EU Withdrawal Agreement Bill which passed by a majority of 124 yesterday. 

The Withdrawal Agreement Bill will ensure that the UK ceases to be an EU Member State at 23:00 on 31 January 2019. 

At this point the EU Communities Act 1972 will be repealed and the UK will enter the implementation period. 

Earlier in the day, Mr Baynes met with the Brexit Minister James Duddridge MP to discuss the Brexit bill before the parliamentary debate.

The Withdrawal Agreement will take Britain out of all EU laws and aims to allow the UK to strike its own free trade deals. 

It will also end the direct jurisdiction of the European Court in Britain and mean that the UK government rather than the EU will be in control of taxes. 

It will ensure that Northern Ireland will be in the UK customs territory and it will abolish the backstop. 

Any further delay will be avoided by ruling out any extension to the implementation period beyond 2020.

It will end free movement of people and a new Immigration and Social Security Co-Ordination Bill will create an Australian-style points-based immigration system which the Government says will "welcome skilled workers from across the world to contribute to the United Kingdom’s economy, communities and public services".

The Withdrawal Agreement will be complemented by a new Employment Bill which will protect and enhance workers rights, making Britain the best place in the world to work. 

There will also be a new Environment Bill which the government claims will transform the UK’s environmental governance after leaving the EU by putting environmental principles into law, introducing legally binding targets, and establishing a new Office for Environmental Protection.

Simon Baynes said: “It was a great honour to vote as the new MP for Clwyd South in today’s historic vote in parliament which will ensure that we finally release the country from the stranglehold of indecision, restoring confidence to people and businesses and get Brexit done. 

"The Queen’s Speech set out not only how we will leave the EU but how we will maximise the opportunities of Brexit – taking back control of our money, our laws, our trade and our borders, introducing an Australian style points-based immigration system and investing in the NHS.

"We will work around the clock to repay the trust millions of voters placed in this People’s Government and
ensure that work starts with getting Brexit done.

"At the beginning of the new decade, at the beginning of a new dawn for our country, our Parliamentarians will return to Westminster to immediately finish the job, take us out of the EU on 31 January and move this country forward.”

Town council to investigate recording its meetings



Llangollen Town Council is looking into the possibility of its meetings being recorded.

At the moment its rules do not allow proceedings of the full council or its committees being either photographed, recorded, broadcast or transmitted without written consent. 

But at this week’s full council there was a move to change this.

A report submitted by Cllr Robyn Lovelock said: “It is becoming increasingly common for town councils to produce an audio or video recording of meetings as a means of increasing transparency and community engagement.

“A quick search reveals plenty of examples of town councils sharing videos or live webcasts of their meetings on their websites.

“The meetings are already open to the public. The primary benefit of recording meetings would be to assist those residents who are keen to follow proceedings but who are unable to attend meetings in person due to disability or caring responsibilities, or to clashes with other commitments.

“Technologically meetings could be recorded with video equipment available within the town or livestreamed via Facebook Live.”

Cllr Lovelock explained that the three recordings of the Llangollen 2020 videos recently shared online received between 300 and 2,000 viewings,”showing a high level of interest in the idea within Llangollen.”

The report recommended that the council conducts some research into options for recording meetings with a view to revising its standing orders to allow video recording of meetings and for the publishing of video recordings of meetings online via its own website.”

In a short debate a number of councillors expressed their support for the move.

Cllr Sheena Grindley said: “Any way to get local people interested in what is going on is well worth looking into.”

Cllr Andy Beech said he had “serious misgivings” about the idea as recordings could be changed into different formats and “changed beyond all recognition”.

Deputy mayor, Cllr Issy Richards, said: “I agree. I have concerns about recordings would be used once they are out there.”

But Cllr Austin Cheminais argued: “I’m in favour of looking into. Live coverage of councils is increasingly being discussed.”

The council eventually voted in favour of further investigations into the idea being carried out.

Friday, December 20, 2019

Eisteddfod hosts sell-out Christmas concert



Elan Catrin Parry (front left) with members of Movema and students from Band Pres Ysgol Dinas BrĂ¢n.


Llangollen International Eisteddfod hosted its Christmas Concert last Sunday, starring renowned Welsh tenor Rhys Meirion. Nic Parry hosted the sell-out evening which also saw performances from international folk dancers, singer Elan Catrin Parry and Julian Gonzales.

All pictures by Barrie Potter.


* An individual dancer from Movema, a dance 
company specialising in world dance.


A group of dancers from Movema go through their stylish paces.


 * Ryhs Meirion on stage.

Ysgol Y Gwernant stages magical Christmas show


* The cast lines up for the school's Christmas show at the Pavilion.

Excited youngsters from Ysgol Gymraeg y Gwernant performed their Christmas show, Disney’s Aladdin, at Llangollen Pavilion on Tuesday following weeks of preparation and rehearsal.

Every pupil from Reception to year 6 played a character from the magical city of Agrabah. 

Every pupil looked amazing in colourful and glittery costumes provided by the parents. It was a spectacular of colour and shimmer.

Both matinee and evening performances were well attended by proud parents, friends and family. 

The popular songs were performed enthusiastically by eager and excited children who loved dancing and singing the well-loved musical through the medium of Welsh.

The school was very fortunate to receive the strong support of a band organised by one of the parents, Elen Roberts. The keyboards, drums and bass guitar’s professional accompaniment created an amazing atmosphere.

The school says it is very grateful for all the positive feedback received from parents and members of the community.

A school spokesperson said: “Well done to all the children and the staff who have worked very hard. We are so grateful for such a wonderful school. The Aladdin show was amazing.

“Slem of the typical remarks we have had are: 'Fantastic Show. Arddechog!' and 'What another amazing show! The hard work and effort is exceptional! The children all looked like they were having the time of their lives.'"

The town's deputy mayor, Cllr Issy Richards, who is a member of the school governors and saw the show said: "Ysgol Y Gwernant today performed a stunning Welsh version of this rags to riches tale beginning with a joyous opening number Noson Agrabah.

"We were transported to the old Arabian town, to the buzzing market place. We were introduced to the main characters including Aladin, Princess Jasmine, Jaffar, Parot, and of course the Gini.

"Pupils played soldiwrs, Jaffars bach, pobl Agrabah, Ginis bach, ser and tywysogesau (soldiers, small Jaffars, residents of Agrabag, small Genies, princesses, stars).

"We were treated to further scenes of the exotic palace, the cave of wonders, and a spine-tingling procession through the audience of Prince Ali and his supporters.

"The scenery, props, and costumes were impressive, and the live music from the band added to the excitement. The children created a magical world for their audience to enjoy and their fun and enthusiasm was clear to see. The children looked so happy and sang with gusto! I felt privileged to be present for this first class production. Da iawn pawb! (Well done everyone).

"A perfect end to a very successful year for the school!"

Time running out to get your new bus pass


Denbighshire County Council is reminding residents that applications for concessionary bus passes need to be submitted to Transport for Wales.

Transport for Wales are working with local councils and Welsh Government to roll out new-style Concessionary Travel Cards and these cards will replace the current green 'bus passes' across Wales. The official deadline is 31 December 2019.
However, Transport for Wales have announced a two month grace after the deadline for those needing to make an application or who have already submitted their applications. Old and new cards will be accepted by operators during the first two months of 2020.
The new-style cards offer the same free travel rights and benefits as the current bus passes. The new cards are designed so that they can work as part of an integrated travel network in the future.    
Advice and support with the application process is also available from your local council, Age Cymru and other community organisations. Find out where you can find help in your local area by contacting the Transport for Wales help desk at travelcards@tfw.wales  or call 0300 303 4240.
Residents are encouraged to apply: www.tfw.wales or ask a friend, family member or someone they trust to apply online on their behalf. 
Paper application forms are available online  or by e-mailing contact details to travelcards@tfw.wales.
In the meantime, existing green bus passes are valid for travel until 31 December 2019.

Llangollen is launchpad for national recycling drive



* Deputy Minister for Housing and Local Government Hannah Blythyn launches Beyond Recycling at Llangollen Town Hall.

An ambitious plan for Wales to phase out the use of single-use plastics and become the world-leading nation for recycling has been unveiled in Llangollen.

Since devolution 20 years Wales has become a global leader in recycling.

It is the top recycling nation in the UK, the third best in Europe and the fourth best in the world. 

The Welsh Government today publishes Beyond Recycling which aims to move Wales towards a circular economy – keeping resources in use for as long as possible and avoiding waste. 

The aim is not only to reach zero waste by 2050, but also to take action on the Climate Emergency and seize the economic opportunities to create a greener, more equal and more prosperous Wales.

Llangollen was yesterday (Thursday) morning chosen to launch the first phase of a nationwide, 15-month consultation on the scheme because of the town's exemplary record on reducing plastic. 




* Ken Skates AM speaks at the launch event.

Speaking at the Town Hall launch event Deputy Minister for Housing and Local Government, Hannah Blythyn, hailed Llangollen as a "beacon" of the cause and said that with Beyond Recycling Wales was aiming to take the battle against climate change to a new level.

And she signalled the Welsh Government’s determination to drive the transformational change needed to make the circular economy in Wales a reality.  

Announcing an additional £6.5m in circular economy funding for local authorities and other publicly funded bodies alongside the consultation she explained this would support action to accelerate Wales’s shift to a circular economy and builds on the funding for businesses announced earlier this year.

She said: “Wales is already leading the way in the UK when it comes to recycling, but I want us to go further and take the next step. We’re on a journey towards becoming a circular economy where waste is avoided and resources are kept in use as long as possible.

“Our communities are what make Wales and it was fantastic to launch the consultation in Llangollen. It’s a community that’s come together to reduce plastic, tackle climate change and take advantage of the business opportunities from using reusable and sustainable materials.”

The Deputy Minister said that Beyond Recycling, sets out eight ambitious actions, to:

  • Become the world leader in recycling;  
  • Phase out single use plastic;
  • Invest in clean technology for materials collection; 
  • Make more efficient use of our food;    
  • Prioritise the purchasing of wood, remanufactured and recycled content;  
  • Enable communities to take collective action;  
  • Create the conditions for business to seize the opportunities;
  • Take full responsibility for our waste.
Urging people to have their say, the Deputy Minister added: “It is your engagement and action we need now – you are the recyclers, you are the groups working to improve your communities, you are the businesses finding new uses for materials that were once sent to landfill.




* Plastic-free campaigner Sian Sykes speaks about her tour of the Wales coastline.

“We want a dialogue, it is your chance to let us know what you think about our proposals and to come up with new ideas and activities. We will be holding events online and in communities across Wales, and there are resources to help you come together and respond.

“I want to hear from as many people and organisations as possible. Our collective responses can make a big difference.”

Also speaking at the launch of event, which was opened by Llangollen plastic-free campaigner Mair Davies, was Clwyd South AM and Cabinet Secretary for Economy, Infrastructure and Skills.

He said: "The work you are doing in Llangollen is just incredible and there is so much engagement here, with schools businesses and people all working to reduce plastic, which is why you have been chosen for this launch event for Beyond Recycling."

Another guest speaker was paddleboarder and adventurer Sian Skyes, a former resident of Llangollen, who told how she has spent two months touring Wales removing plastic waste from beaches and canals. She also recently launched plastic-free Anglesey.

She also commended the people Llangollen for their efforts to beat single-use plastic.     

* For further information on the consultation and eight headline actions visit: https://gov.wales/consultations

Use 999 responsibly, says ambulance service


The Welsh Ambulance Service has issued a fresh plea for the public to use 999 responsibly as Christmas draws near.

While the Christmas and New Year period is generally one of the busiest, new figures have revealed that last Christmas Day was actually the quietest day in December, prompting the Trust to suggest that people behave differently on December 25th from other days of the year when it comes to calling an ambulance.

The service took 1,374 calls via 999 last Christmas Day; almost 500 calls fewer than on its busiest day, December 1st, when it had 1,847 calls.

Jason Killens, Chief Executive of the Welsh Ambulance Service, said: “This suggests to us that those people who would normally be tempted to call us inappropriately are busy opening presents and eating lunch which means suddenly their ‘emergency’ can wait.

“By Boxing Day, the calls have gone up. Sometimes this is because people are genuinely unwell, but often it’s a result of overindulgence the previous day.

“People who are genuinely ill don’t choose when they are unwell and, of course, we are there for those patients 24/7, 365 days of the year.

“However, those people who use ambulance services as a substitute for a GP appointment or because they have a long-standing minor illness or injury seem to make different choices on Christmas Day.

“It is these people we are asking to be sensible and to make those same choices every other day of the year.

“Every day should be Christmas Day when you think about how to use 999; it really is that special.”

Most GP surgeries will close on Bank Holidays – including Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year’s Day – so the Trust is urging people to take steps now to ensure they are prepared.

Lee Brooks, Director of Operations, added: “Calls to our ambulance service are triaged in order of priority, so if you’re not seriously ill or injured, you will wait longer for our help.

“You also won’t be seen any quicker in emergency departments if you arrive by ambulance as all patients are seen in order of clinical priority, not according to how or when they arrived in the department.

“Before you dial 999, think about where else you might be able to access the help you need, quicker.

“Nurses employed by the Welsh Ambulance Service are on hand 24/7, including on Christmas Day, to give you advice and information – call them on 0845 46 47, or on 111 if it’s available in your area.

“You can also visit www.nhsdirect.wales.nhs.uk to take one of 20+ symptom checkers, including for cold and flu, dental and stomach pain, to receive immediate online advice about what to do next.

“Don’t forget about your pharmacist, optician and your local minor injuries unit, where there is no need for an appointment.

“If you rely on medicines, make sure you have a big enough supply to see you through, and stocking up on simple remedies is a good idea too, including for indigestion, headache and toothache.”

The Welsh Ambulance Service is calling on the public to use its services
appropriately as part of its new Be Wise Save Lives campaign.
Follow the campaign on social media using the hashtag #BeWiseSaveLives