Get in touch ...

Know of something happening in
Llangollen?
Tweet
us on
@llanblogger

E-mail your contributions to: llanblogger@gmail.com

We are on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/pages/llanbloggercouk/139122552895186



Monday, June 10, 2019

Isherwood calls on health minister to quit



North Wales Assembly Member Mark Isherwood (pictured) has called on the Welsh Health Minister, Vaughan Gething, to resign for “failing to deliver" the required improvement at the Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board (BCUHB) which covers Llangollen.
Speaking in the Welsh Conservatives debate on the troubled North Wales Health Board, Mr Isherwood expressed concern that BCUHB has been in Special Measures for coming up to four years, said that the Health Minister’s “repeated statements that he ‘expects to see action’ have become hollow”, and called for him to stand down.
Mr Isherwood said: “The self-proclaimed party of the NHS, Labour, is responsible for just seven Health Boards in Wales. It is shocking that five of these are in special measures of some kind.  
“The largest of these, serving 1 million people, Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board in North Wales, will not be celebrating the fact that next Saturday will be four years since it was placed into special measures. Ministerial oversight of these special measures arrangements has been with the current Health Minister.

“No Conservative Prime Minister has ever cut an NHS budget. Under Labour, however, Wales was the only UK Nation to see a real terms decrease in identifiable expenditure on health between 2010 and 2016.
“Betsi Cadwaladr entered special measures after horrific reports emanated from the Tawel Fan Mental Health ward. 
“The Welsh Labour Government has failed to heed the warnings of the Ockenden Review of this - and consistently ignored the concerns of families involved.
“They have instead relied on the 2018 HASCAS review which was described as a cover-up by the families."
He added: “In January Donna Ockenden said she had seen ‘insufficient progress’ in improving mental health services and revealed that staff had told her services ‘were going backwards’.  
“Her 2018 Review was repeatedly informed that from the Health Board’s birth in October 2009, there was very significant cause for concern in the systems, structures and processes of governance underpinning a range of services provided by Betsi Cadwaladr.

“Speaking here in May last year, I asked the Health Minister why the conclusions of the HASCAS report Commissioned by Betsi Cadwaladr did not stack up with the findings of Donna Ockenden’s 2015 report, which the Welsh Government had accepted - or with a Healthcare Inspectorate Wales Report, or  Dementia Care mapping work, both in 2013, the year that the Health Board states that it was alerted to serious concerns regarding patient care on the Tawel Fan ward. In fact, I had highlighted concerns  in 2009. 

“While frontline staff are working incredibly hard, last month the Public Accounts Committee found that the Welsh Government’s intervention with the Board has had ‘little practical impact’.  

“The North Wales Community Health Council stated that it totally agreed with this report’s recommendations - and referred to a letter sent to the Health Minister in which they stated there is a belief among its members that Special Measures  is now ‘the new normal’ and ‘appears to have lost its impact’.
Mr Isherwood also highlighted that the latest A&E figures show that Betsi Cadwaladr remains the worst performing in Wales, and that Wrexham Maelor hospital’s A&E department only saw half of its patients within four hours, and referred to the fact that in January, the North Wales Coroner, John Gittins, stated that ‘ambulance hold ups, staff shortages and the difficulty of getting speedy A&E care have contributed to numerous deaths and may claim more lives’. 
He added: “This Health Minister’s repeated statement that he ‘expects to see action’ have become hollow. 
“He needs to accept his responsibility for failing to deliver the required improvement at the Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board, and honourably resign.”

Sunday, June 9, 2019

Temporary bus route changes from tomorrow

Bus users are being warned of some temporary route changes in place from next week.

Due to the closure of the roundabout at the junction of the A539 (Llangollen Road) and B5605 the following bus route diversions will be in place.

As a result the below changes will be in place for five nights from Monday 10th June between 7pm to 6am.

Service 2, Oswestry, Arriva Midlands – From Wrexham to Oswestry
Normal route to Johnstown B5605, then via Stryt Las, B5097 Pant Hill/Afoneitha Road, Plas Bennion Road to re-join normal route on A539 Llangollen Road towards Cefn Mawr & Oswestry.

From Oswestry to Wrexham
Normal route to A539, then via Plas Bennion Road, B5097 Afoneitha Road, Pant Hill, Church Street, B5426 Hill Street, Gutter Hill & Maelor Road to re-join normal route on B5605 in Johnstown.
Service 5, Llangollen, Arriva Bus Wales – From Wrexham to Llangollen

Normal route to Johnstown B5605, then via Stryt Las, B5097 Pant Hill/Afoneitha Road, Plas Bennion Road to re-join normal route on A539 Llangollen Road towards Llangollen.

From Llangollen to Wrexham
Normal route to A539, then via Plas Bennion Road, B5097 Afoneitha Road, Pant Hill, Church Street, B5426 Hill Street, Gutter Hill & Maelor Road to re-join normal route on B5605 in Johnstown.

Service T3, Barmouth, Lloyds Coaches – From Wrexham to Barmouth
Normal route to Johnstown B5605, then via Stryt Las, B5097 Pant Hill/Afoneitha Road, Plas Bennion Road to re-join normal route on A539 Llangollen Road towards Barmouth

From Barmouth to Wrexham
Normal route to A539, then via Plas Bennion Road, B5097 Afoneitha Road, Pant Hill, Church Street, B5426 Hill Street, Gutter Hill & Maelor Road to re-join normal route on B5605 in Johnstown.

Saturday, June 8, 2019

Rain fails to dampen successful summer fete


* Historical re-enactors battle it out.

Rain failed to dampen the enthusiasm for this afternoon's annual summer fete at Plas Newydd organised once again by the Rotary Club of Llangollen and the Inner Wheel Club of Llangollen.

To music provided by Llangollen Silver Band, people who went along enjoyed a host of attractions including historical re-enactments, Punch & Judy and magician plus a range of stalls and sideshows.

llanblogger was on hand to record the afternoon's events.


* The flower and plant stall was a blooming success.


* Llangollen Silver Band set the tone for the afternoon.


 * Town Mayor, Cllr Jon Haddy checks out a craft stall.


* A re-enactment warrior shows no mercy to his vanquished opponent. 


* The field is mine!


* The Scout stall is fully prepared for fun.


* Youngsters try their hand at hook-a-duck.


* A little close-up magic under cover.

Friday, June 7, 2019

Police appeal following A483 incident

Police are appealing for witnesses following a hit and run road traffic collision on the A483 Southbound in Wrexham which resulted in a police officer being injured.
The collision involving a police vehicle and a silver /grey Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 which was towing an Ivor Williams agricultural trailer at the time, happened at 4.09pm yesterday, Thursday 6th June.
The driver of the vehicle reversed into the police vehicle before driving off in the direction of Oswestry. The trailer was later found abandoned a short distance along the road.
PC Richard Priamo of the Roads Policing Unit said: “The collision resulted in the officer being taken to hospital, but thankfully his injuries were not deemed serious.”
“We are appealing to anyone who witnessed the collision or who may have been travelling along the route and who saw the incident, to come forward.”
“We would also like to speak to anybody who may have dash cam footage from their vehicles prior to the collision.”
Please contact the Roads Policing Unit in St Asaph on 101 quoting reference 19100293260.  Alternatively use the live webchat https://www.north-wales.police.uk/contact/live-chat-support

Inner Wheel holds international gathering at Pavilion

District 18 of the Inner Wheel held their International Rally and AGM at the Pavilion in Llangollen yesterday (Thursday) and have sent these pictures to llanblogger ...






'Delighted' MP becomes Eisteddfod Friends president




* Susan Elan Jones MP with Friends officers at the Pavilion. 

Clwyd South MP Susan Elan Jones has expressed her delight at becoming the new president of the Friends of Llangollen International Musical Eisteddfod.

The organisation has supported the world-renowned Llangollen International Musical Eisteddfod for over 40 years and raised close to £½ million.

Ms Jones said: “I felt very honoured when the Friends of Llangollen International Musical Eisteddfod asked me to become their president. I was delighted to accept and have already met with committee members to discuss how I can best support the excellent work they do.

“I volunteered as an Eisteddfod steward when I was a sixth former and since then, the Eisteddfod has always been very special to me. I think we are so lucky to have the Llangollen International Musical Eisteddfod in our area. 

"It's a festival that was dreamt up by visionaries who came together after the Second World War and committed themselves to a world of peace and cultural exchange. 

"I am very pleased to be able to promote the festival, not just in my capacity as the local MP but now also as president of the Friends of Llangollen International Musical Eisteddfod.”

Thursday, June 6, 2019

Llangollen marks D-Day 75th anniversary



* The poignant ceremony begins.


* Town councillors and other officials line up on Centenary Square. 


* Father Lee Taylor, vicar of St Collen's, leads the worship.


* James Reardon from Ysgol Dinas Bran sounds Last Post.


* Standard bearers lower their colours in salute.


* Ben Thomas, right, prepares to sound Reveille.


* Town Mayor, Cllr Jon Haddy, lays a poppy wreath at the Second World War memorial.


* A wreath is laid by Royal British Legion Llangollen branch chairman Phil Stroud.


* A representative of North Wales Police lays a wreath.


* The wreaths after the ceremony.


* People watch the ceremony from the edge of the square.

Llangollen branch of the Royal British Legion held a Remembrance ceremony to mark the 75th anniversary of the the D-Day landings in Centenary Square this morning (Thursday).

The standards of the branch and the RAFA Club were on parade and the ceremony included the sounding of Last Post and Reveille, the traditional two minutes' silence and the laying of wreaths on the 1939-45 memorial.

A short service was conducted by Father Lee Taylor of St Collen's Church.

Last Post was sounded by 14-year-old James Reardon, a Year 10 student at Ysgol Dinas Bran, while Reveille was sounded by Ben Thomas, 18, a member of Ifton Colliery Band who also plays occasionally with Llangollen Silver Band.

D-Day, on June 6 1944, was when the Allies launched an invasion across the beaches of Normandy to begin the liberation of Europe from the occupation of Nazi Germany.