Latest events and comments from the town of Llangollen in Denbighshire, North Wales, UK. EMAIL: llanblogger@gmail.com
Get in touch ...
Know of something happening in
Llangollen? Tweet
us on @llanblogger
E-mail your contributions to: llanblogger@gmail.com
We are on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/pages/llanbloggercouk/139122552895186
Llangollen? Tweet
us on @llanblogger
E-mail your contributions to: llanblogger@gmail.com
We are on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/pages/llanbloggercouk/139122552895186
Tuesday, February 19, 2013
Take care with your chips, say fire chiefs
North Wales Fire and Rescue Service is urging chip lovers to take care when they indulge in one of the nation's favourite foods the current National Chip Week.
Last year, 153 of all accidental dwelling fires in North Wales started in the kitchen and 31 of these were as a result of overheated chip pans.
Dave Evans, Head of Community Safety, said: "We are finding that thankfully the number of chip pan fires is going down and people are listening to our warnings - but residents must remain vigilant as this incident goes to show.
"It is all too easy to turn your back and see a full blown fire develop in a matter of minutes if you do not cook safely. Our message is still to get rid of your chip pan and get a deep fat fryer instead, which is far safer - and always ensure you have working smoke alarm at home as it could mean the difference between life and death.
"Leaving a chip pan unattended for any length of time can have disastrous results as the oil can easily overheat and ignite. A simple switch from the pan to the oven or a temperature controlled deep-fat fryer can help prevent the worst.
"The smallest distraction when using a hot chip pan could lead to a fire in a matter of moments. Oven chips are a safer and healthier way to enjoy your favourite, but if you do choose to deep fat fry please don't leave the pan unattended. If your pan does catch light, don't throw water over it- get out, stay out and call 999."
If you do choose to deep fat fry your chips, these all-year-round fire safety tips could help reduce the risk:
• Don't overfill a chip pan with oil - never fill it more than one-third full.
• Be careful that it doesn't overheat - hot oil can catch fire easily.
• Use a thermostat-controlled deep-fat fryer, which will make sure the fat doesn't get too hot
• Never throw water on a chip pan fire.
• Don't cook after drinking alcohol.
• In the event of a fire, have an escape route in place.
• Don't take risks by tackling a fire. Get out, stay out and call 999.
• Get a smoke alarm and test it weekly.
North Wales Fire and Rescue Service offer free home fire safety checks, where a member of the Service will visit your home, give fire safety hints and tips, help you to formulate a fire escape plan and fit new alarms - all free of charge. This service is available to all residents in North Wales.
To register for a free home fire safety check, please call the 24 hour free hotline on 0800 169 1234, e-mail cfs@nwales-fireservice.org.ukor visit www.nwales-fireservice.org.uk.
For more information on National Chip Week: http://www.lovechips.co.uk/
Food champion urges people to "buy local"
* True Taste Champion Robin Jones, Managing Director of Village Bakery, with some of his staff and the locally sourced meat that goes into their products. From left, Kerry Wilson, pie room production manager, Neal Hughes, cook room supervisor and Wioleta Mojzuk with Robin.
A food ambassador is urging Welsh companies to buy local in the wake of the horsemeat scandal.
The plea has come from Robin Jones, the current True Taste Champion of Wales, who is also Managing Director of the award winning Village Bakery.
He revealed the Village Bakery is putting up posters in all its shops - in Llangollen, Wrexham, Rhos, Hollywell and Ruthin - to highlight that they use only locally sourced meat in their pies.
The boss of the family firm says it's vitally important to reassure their customers in the wake of the negative headlines spreading across Europe.
Mr Jones said: "We are extremely proud of our local sourcing policy that's been in place for many years.
"We know exactly where our meat comes from every week and we can name the individual farms in the Vale of Clwyd and the Conwy Valley who supplied us this week.
"We don't buy mince or re-conformed beef. We buy proper cuts and do all the butchering ourselves so that we can be sure exactly what we're getting and that the quality is 100 per cent right.
"We guard our reputation jealously and this is the only way that we can maintain our high standards.
"I suspect many other companies will be looking to source their meat locally in future as a result of the news about horsemeat being found in beef products.
"We have always fully understood the importance of provenance and traceability to our customers and to our business.
"We pay a premium for our meat because we want our customers to have the best quality possible. For us quality is king.
"Given the current headlines, we felt it was important to remind and reassure our customers that our pies contain 100 per cent quality meat.
"Traceability has never been more important than it is today and I would urge Welsh food companies to buy local produce as ingredients whenever they can."
Mr Jones is one of the most respected figures in the UK food industry and in 2010 was named as British Baker of the Year at the Baking Industry Awards.
The Village Bakery makes premium breads, morning goods, savouries and bespoke products for major supermarket chains and their own shops and cafes.
The main bakery is in Minera and in 2008 they opened the most modern gluten-free bakery in Europe as part of a deal with the Swiss giant, the Hero Group.
The£3 million state-of-the art Village Bakery (Nutrition) Ltd on Wrexham Industrial Estate was officially opened by the then First Minister of Wales, Rhodri Morgan AM.
Then just over a year ago the company invested £7 million in the third bakery when they took over a 30,000 sq ft unit next door to the gluten-free bakery.
Originally, the aim was to employ 30 people but in the event we've recruited more than 40, taking the total workforce over the 250 mark.
Mr Jones added: "When I bring major retailers into the business, they know that the traditional craft skills are at the core of our business. It shines through and it sells the product to them. We're not just selling them a pie or a sausage roll, we're selling them the story of the Village Bakery and our craft tradition and culture.
“We produce a product that’s local, it’s manufactured in Wales –and our local sourcing policy means we’re also benefitting our suppliers.
"That means we can cut back on the food miles while helping to boost the local economy at the same time.
"Buying local makes so much more sense - whichever way you look at it."
Monday, February 18, 2013
'Devastating" impact of welfare changes, according to reports
A series of reports published today are said to reveal the "devastating" impact the UK Government’s changes to the welfare system will have on the people and economy of Wales.
The two reports commissioned by the Welsh Government to better understand the impact of the welfare reforms show that the changes to the UK welfare system announced prior to December’s Autumn Statement will reduce total benefit and tax credit entitlements in Wales by around £590 million in 2014-15.
Additional cuts announced in December’s Autumn Statement mean losses will be even higher than this, it is claimed.
Overall, families with children and those from low-middle income families will suffer the most from the changes.
Reforms to Disability Living Allowance account for some of the greatest cuts in Wales.
Around 42,500 people in Wales are estimated to lose their entitlement as a result of this reform - an average loss of up to £83 per claimant per week and an annual loss of up to £183m in Wales as a whole.
Those hit by the cuts in welfare payments are likely to reduce their spending on goods and services, taking even more money out of the Welsh economy.
Although one of the UK Government’s main aims is for the welfare reforms to get more people into work, this research suggests that any effects on employment in Wales are likely to be small, and will depend on wider economic conditions.
Education and Skills Minister Leighton Andrews said: “The UK Government’s welfare reforms will have a huge and damaging effect on Wales as a whole.
“The reports published today by the Institute for Fiscal Studies and Welsh Government confirm our worst fears about the changes.
“From the most vulnerable in our society, through to low-middle income families, these cuts from the UK Government are devastating.”
Reforms to Disability Living Allowance account for some of the greatest cuts in Wales.
Around 42,500 people in Wales are estimated to lose their entitlement as a result of this reform - an average loss of up to £83 per claimant per week and an annual loss of up to £183m in Wales as a whole.
Those hit by the cuts in welfare payments are likely to reduce their spending on goods and services, taking even more money out of the Welsh economy.
Although one of the UK Government’s main aims is for the welfare reforms to get more people into work, this research suggests that any effects on employment in Wales are likely to be small, and will depend on wider economic conditions.
Education and Skills Minister Leighton Andrews said: “The UK Government’s welfare reforms will have a huge and damaging effect on Wales as a whole.
“The reports published today by the Institute for Fiscal Studies and Welsh Government confirm our worst fears about the changes.
“From the most vulnerable in our society, through to low-middle income families, these cuts from the UK Government are devastating.”
Warning over recreational drugs
North Wales Police and the Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board are warning people not to take recreational drugs known as Pink Love Tablets.
The safety alert comes after two young people from the Anglesey area became ill and required hospital treatement after taking the heart-shaped pink pills.
A similar warning was given last week about the dangers of taking tablets known as “Green Apples” following the death of a local young man.
Dr Linda Dykes FCEM, Consultant in Emergency Medicine, Ysbyty Gwynedd said: "Over recent weeks we have seen a number of people brought into hospital as emergency cases after taking recreational drugs, some of whom have suffered very severe reactions requiring admission to intensive care and one patient has sadly died.
"There are significant risks with any drug misuse, especially when it involves drugs bought off the streets or from unregulated sources. Users will never actually know what they are taking, its strength or whether or not it is contaminated: every time you take a street drug, you are trusting your health, or indeed your life, to chance."
Acting Chief Inspector Simon Barrasford said: "We continue to work with our partners to highlight the dangers of drug abuse and a pro-active team actively targets people involved in the illegal supply of drugs. Both the pink heart shaped Pink Love and Green Apple tablets are being used by party goers and I want to make it very clear that the consequences of taking these tablets can be fatal”
“If you have been given or have bought these drugs please do not take them, I ask that you hand them into the Police so that they can be destroyed properly and safely. I am also asking parents with teenage children to be extra vigilant and to sit down with their sons and daughters and talk through the dangers of taking these drugs You can also call in confidence with any information regarding drug dealing and I assure you this information provided will be dealt with confidentially.”
If you have any information about those who use or supply Pink Love or Green Apple tablets or any other controlled drug contact North Wales Police.
River Lodge's future questioned by llanblogger
* The fate of the former River Lodge has been questioned by llanblogger.
Llangollen’s derelict River Lodge is not for sale on the open market, with
the Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board (BCUHB) having an option to buy the property from the
Welsh Government.
These two facts are confirmed in the response to a Freedom of
Information request submitted last month by llanblogger.
The lodge – also known as the former Woodlands Hotel – on the A539, has
been at the centre of a long-running row over its future.
And it has most recently been mentioned as the possible site for a new
health centre where some of the services lost by the imminent closure of the
town’s Cottage Hospital could be relocated.
Through the now
defunct Welsh Development Agency, the Welsh Government bought the building on
the banks of the River Dee at the gateway to the town in 2007.
Sole purpose of the
deal was to facilitate a community project by Powys Fadog.
But the development
never went ahead and following a series of vandal attacks the property now lies
empty and derelict after costing the taxpayer a considerable amount of money.
The saga has
sparked major criticisms of the part played by the government and led last year
to the publication of a critical report by the independent Welsh Audit Office.
That report described
the government’s decision to purchase River Lodge as“flawed” and said it had
“represented poor value for money”.
Two sessions of the Welsh Assembly’s powerful
public accounts committee – one held in Llangollen Pavilion last October – have
since taken evidence on the circumstances of the acquisition and attempts to
dispose of the property.
In our FoI request, llanblogger asked the following
questions:
1.
Is the property still in the ownership of the
Welsh Government?
2.
Is the
property currently up for sale or disposal by any other means?
3.
Is the
Welsh Government currently in negotiation with any party, private or
corporate, regarding the acquisition of the property?
4.
If up
for sale, what is its current asking price for the property and how does this compare
to the sum originally paid for it by the former Welsh Development Agency?
5.
Is the
Welsh Government currently in negotiations with the Betsi Cadwaladr
University Health Board about the property's potential sale to the
board?
6.
If
negotiations are taking place between the Welsh Government and the Betsi
Cadwaladr University Health Board, at what stage are these
negotiations?
In the reply, received today (Monday), a Welsh Government official
says: “For
question 1, I can confirm that the property is still in the ownership
of the Welsh
Government.
“For your remaining questions, I can advise that the property is not up
for
sale on the open market and as such there is no open market asking
price.
“The Welsh Government has recently entered into an option agreement
with Betsi
Cadwaladr University Health Board for them to
purchase the site.”
This is confirmed by a notice on the Welsh
Government website from August 2012, whixch says: “The Minister for
Business, Enterprise, Technology and Science has been asked to approve the
granting of an Option for Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board to purchase
River Lodge, Llangollen, the property having been offered to the public sector
in accordance with the National Asset Transfer Protocol.”
Llanblogger is
currently awaiting a response to a seperate FoI request submitted to the Betsi
Cadwaladr University Health Board last month about its intentions for River
Lodge.
'Alarming' fall in high street shoppers
A story of particular interest to those concerned about the impact on the new Sainsbury's supermarket on Llangollen will be the one today (Monday) on the Wales Online website which deals with an 'alarming' fall in number of shoppers using Welsh high streets.
Read more: Wales Online http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/2013/02/18/alarming-fall-in-number-of-shoppers-using-welsh-high-streets-91466-32826220/#.USHLl_Rye1I.twitter#ixzz2LEszo1uS
Read more: Wales Online http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/2013/02/18/alarming-fall-in-number-of-shoppers-using-welsh-high-streets-91466-32826220/#.USHLl_Rye1I.twitter#ixzz2LEszo1uS
Have archives changed your life?
Have you discovered that your house was once the village shop?
Or recently found a great aunt with an interesting life-story?
Maybe you have donated some old photographs of local importance that you happened to come across whilst decluttering your attic?
Or perhaps the research and guidance you received from staff has helped with your studies?
Whatever your story might be Denbighshire Archive Service want to hear from you!
If you have used Denbighshire Archive Service and discovered something that changed your life or have been inspired to find out more about your family or local history then this is your chance to win £100 simply by telling us your story.
Huw Lewis, Minister for Housing, Regeneration and Heritage said: “Archive services play a vital role within the communities they serve and are a treasured resource for cultural and educational purposes. By collecting your stories this campaign will recognise the essential value that archives can add to the national life of Wales ensuring the past is available for the future.”
Sarah Winning, archivist, said: "It is wonderful seeing people using archives everyday to discover something new and we hear fascinating stories all the time. This competition will give people a chance to share their discoveries and inspire others to use archives in the future.”
Some of the winning stories from across Wales will be brought to life in short films showcasing the variety of records, photographs and documents that can be accessed free of charge by your local archive service.
For your chance to win £100, contact Denbighshire Archive Service to enter via e-mail@ archives@denbighshire.gov.uk or phone:01824 708250 . Alternatively, visit archiveswales.org or find Archives Wales on Facebook and Twitter.
Or recently found a great aunt with an interesting life-story?
Maybe you have donated some old photographs of local importance that you happened to come across whilst decluttering your attic?
Or perhaps the research and guidance you received from staff has helped with your studies?
Whatever your story might be Denbighshire Archive Service want to hear from you!
If you have used Denbighshire Archive Service and discovered something that changed your life or have been inspired to find out more about your family or local history then this is your chance to win £100 simply by telling us your story.
Huw Lewis, Minister for Housing, Regeneration and Heritage said: “Archive services play a vital role within the communities they serve and are a treasured resource for cultural and educational purposes. By collecting your stories this campaign will recognise the essential value that archives can add to the national life of Wales ensuring the past is available for the future.”
Sarah Winning, archivist, said: "It is wonderful seeing people using archives everyday to discover something new and we hear fascinating stories all the time. This competition will give people a chance to share their discoveries and inspire others to use archives in the future.”
Some of the winning stories from across Wales will be brought to life in short films showcasing the variety of records, photographs and documents that can be accessed free of charge by your local archive service.
For your chance to win £100, contact Denbighshire Archive Service to enter via e-mail@ archives@denbighshire.gov.uk or phone:01824 708250 . Alternatively, visit archiveswales.org or find Archives Wales on Facebook and Twitter.
Subscribe to:
Comments (Atom)

