Get in touch ...

Know of something happening in
Llangollen?
Tweet
us on
@llanblogger

E-mail your contributions to: llanblogger@gmail.com

We are on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/pages/llanbloggercouk/139122552895186



Saturday, February 16, 2013

Council checking gas appliance safety

Staff from Denbighshire's Environmental Health Team are visiting catering premises across the county to assess whether business owners are maintaining their gas appliances and having them checked by competent gas engineers.

They are also providing a supportive and advisory role for businesses.

During inspections, Environmental Health Officers ask for evidence of how appliances being maintained. If there are any safety concerns, the officers may serve a formal notice stating what actions must be taken to comply with the law.


So far, In this latest round of safety checks:
  • Three prohibition notice have been issued to three separate businesses, due to them having a gas cooking range in a dangerous condition.
  • An improvement notice has been served on a cafe owner in Rhyl where the Council found the gas cooking range had not been maintained in a safe condition
Effective maintenance means any servicing or repairs are carried out by a suitably registered and qualified engineer.

Servicing should be carried out in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions. Generally the maximum period between services specified by equipment manufacturers is 12 months.

Emlyn Jones, Denbighshire's Public Protection Manager, said: "We are focusing on commercial catering gas safety, as it can be very serious if something goes wrong. A gas explosion or carbon monoxide from a faulty appliance may affect the public, not just employees. 

"That is why it is vitally important that businesses comply with the law and these latest checks are a good way of raising the profile of this issue and making sure people in Denbighshire remain safe."

Councillor David Smith, Cabinet Lead Member for Environment, said: "There is a legal duty on business owners to maintain gas appliances, for their own safety and that of people who use their premises. 

"We work closely with businesses to educate and advise them about issues of this nature, but the Council will not hesitate in taking enforcement action if business owners willingly ignore advice or if appliances pose a health and safety danger to the public. We would far rather see everyone complying with the law than having to take action against business owners".

All businesses are asked to find a registered engineer to carry out safety checks. People can call Gas Safe register on 0800 408 5500 or check the www.GasSafeRegister.co.ukwebsite for details of registered engineers.

Friday, February 15, 2013

Minister tweets big no to shake-up intervention

Wales’ Health Minister Lesley Griffiths has categorically ruled out intervening in controversial plans for a major shake-up of services in the region, which include the axing of Llangollen Cottage Hospital.

Watchdog body the Community Health Council is currently considering whether to lodge a formal objection to the proposals by the Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board (BCUHB).

But a number of groups and individuals have urged Ms Griffiths (pictured below) to intervene now and halt some parts of the package which they oppose.

However, on Twitter earlier today (Friday) the Minister posted three consecutive messages in which she stresses that this will not happen.

The tweets say:

SERVICE CHANGE PLANS: It’s vital people understand the current process to determine what changes take place in the NHS in the future 1/3

SERVICE CHANGE PLANS: After local health boards share their service change plans, CHCs have 6 weeks to review those proposals 2/3

SERVICE CHANGE PLANS: As Health Minister, I cannot and will not intervene during this time 3/3

Her stark refusal to make an early intervention follows news reported on llanblogger this morning that the minor injuries unit at Llangollen Hospital is to close and be transferred to the town’s health centre in the week commencing March 3.

It is believed there has been no formal announcement of the move other than as a footnote to a press release posted on the board’s website earlier this week.

This has brought strong criticism from the campaign group Keep Llangollen Health Services, whose spokesman said the board was treating local service users with “complete contempt.”

Mike Edwards, chair of Keep Llangollen Special, who earlier this week wrote to Lesley Griffiths asking her to call in the change proposals, said the situation had now reached the stage where it would be impossible for the change proposals to be undone.

Closure date given for Llan injuries unit

* Now with Keep Lllangollen Health Services comment at foot of story


The minor injuries service is due to transfer from Llangollen Community Hospital to the Health Centre during the week commencing the 3rd of March.

That piece of important information for local people is buried in the last paragraph of a press release issued yesterday (Thursday)  by the Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board.
The release, which llanblogger has picked up from the board’s website, is mostly about new opening hours for the minor injuries service across the region.
It says: “For some hospitals opening hours will be extended further once staffing arrangements have been completed.
“The Minor Injuries Service is one of the care options available to people who become ill or suffer an injury: as its name implies it is intended for people who suffer a physical injury such as a cut, insect bite or sprain. 

“Other care options include: 

·         For minor illnesses and injuries that don’t need to be seen by a nurse or doctor you can use over-the counter medicines and dressings. If you need healthcare advice you can visit a local pharmacy or contact NHS Direct on 08 45 46 47.

·         For more serious illness or persistent pain you should contact your GP for advice and treatment. Outside office hours the GP out of hours service can be called via your normal GP surgery number or by ringing NHS Direct 08 45 46 47.

·         If someone is badly injured or very ill then they should be taken to an Accident & Emergency Department or, for genuine emergency cases, call 999 for the ambulance service to arrange an appropriate response.” 

The release goes on to list the places where Minor Injuries Services are available. 

These include Denbigh Infirmary (8:00am to 6:00pm, Monday to Friday), Mold Community Hospital (8:30am to 6:00pm) and Wrexham Maelor Hospital (24 hour minor injuries and A&E service). 

The last paragraph says: “In Llangollen the minor injuries service will transfer from the Community Hospital to the Health Centre during the week commencing the 3rd of March.” 

+ Meanwhile, a llanblogger reader has sent in a picture he took of a notice which says that the minor injuries unit at Chirk Hospital will close next Monday (February 18).
 
Mike Edwards, chair of Keep Llangollen Special, which recently raised the issue of Llangollen Hospital and local services with wales' Health Minister Lesley Griffiths, said of the latest development: "My main concern would be that as far as I am aware there have been no official notifications to advise patients what is actually happening and when.

"The Community Health Council seems to have not acted decisively to object to BCUHB's confirmed proposals and asked the Health Minister to call them in and examine them in the public interest.

"In the absence of this the Health Board are clearly pushing ahead with their reorganisation and it will be shortly be impossible for anyone to undo them, be it the Minister or anyone else."

A spokesman for the group Keep Llangollen Health Services said: “The Health Board seem to be treating Llangollen and the service users in the community with complete contempt.

"I sincerely hope that the Health Board have put in place the necessary arrangements in order for the Health Centre to be able accommodate the new patients that they’ll be receiving.

"The Health Board need to ensure that the people of Llangollen and the surrounding area are fully aware of the change – the last thing we want is to see a patient suffering and not knowing where to turn to because the hospital is closed and the information hasn’t been properly circulated.

"It’s great that Llanblogger is trying to ensure that people are aware of these changes in advance.

"The Health Board cannot ignore public opinion, and that’s why the Community Health Council must intervene and insist that the final decision is taken by the Health Minister, it’s on her door step after all.

"The fight to keep our Health Services in this valley continues because this Valley, it’s people and it’s visitors deserve a proper community based health service.” 

Major scheme to improve the Dee

The Daily Post is reporting today that a major project is to be launched to improve the River Dee.

See the full story at: http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/2013/02/15/major-initiative-to-improve-the-river-dee-55578-32813150/

Thursday, February 14, 2013

Concerns over replacement services when hospital shuts


* The county council is concerned whether cash will be available for community services after Llangollen Hospital is closed.

Health chiefs can give no guarantees there will be enough money to foot the bill for replacement community services once Llangollen Cottage Hospital is closed.

That was one of the messages to come from a summit meeting between representatives of Denbighshire County Council and the Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board (BCUHB).

A statement from the county council issued today (Thursday) says: "Representatives from Denbighshire County Council have held a full and frank discussion the Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board (BCUHB) to discuss concerns about the major shake-up in the health service in North Wales.

"The meeting was held following a request made by the full council and whilst councillors continue to remain very unhappy with some aspects of the proposals presented by BCUHB, they were given detailed information and assurances on other aspects of the plan.

"Concerns were raised during the meeting about capital funding required for health developments across North Wales, with £27 million of the £40 million for North Wales needed for replacement community health facilities in Denbighshire.

"Whilst BCUHB is optimistic of success, it was unable to give cast-iron guarantees that the money required would come from Welsh Government so local communities in Rhyl, Prestatyn and Llangollen still do not have certainty.

"The Council agreed to write to the Welsh Government to seek further reassurances from them.The Council was critical of the impact interim services would have on local people during the transition from existing services to new alternative services and were also critical of the way BCUHB had communicated the changes.

"BCUHB said some existing services did need to close to keep services safe today and allow for preparation for new services.

"The Council raised concerns that moving health services from hospitals into the community would inevitably impact on social care costs. BCUHB accepted that the enhanced care model could lead to additional costs for social services though they believed there was evidence these costs could be offset through patients being less disrupted and requiring less care than if they had been in hospital.

"Agreement was reached to do further work on costs and gather a common set of data to enable the effects and impact of Enhanced Care Service on health, social care and residents to be monitored and evaluated.

"Councillors were pleased with the reassurances regarding the future of Ysbyty Glan Clwyd (YGC) as a district general hospital. BCUHB gave an unequivocal commitment to the future of YGC.This includes confirming its future as the centre for complex vascular surgery and a range of general DGH and specialist functions.

"On transport, BCUHB re-stated its position which was that they have a statutory responsibility to provide transport via the ambulance service for those that meet eligibility criteria. But they do not have a responsibility to provide transport for everyone. They agreed to work in partnership with public sector organisations.

"The Council feels this is progress which needs to be followed through rapidly."

Councillor Bobby Feeley, Cabinet Lead Member for Health and Social Care, said: "The Council had lengthy discussions on the BCUHB’s proposals when councillors met last week, with many expressing serious concerns about the plans.

“The meeting gave plenty of opportunities for councillors to clearly express their concerns and those of the local community, as well as giving the Health Board an opportunity to respond in detail.

“We remain unhappy with a number of issues, we were given detail and the rationale behind some of these proposals and fully realise that the Health Board has difficult decisions to make. We were also reassured on some aspects such as the future of Ysbyty Glan Clwyd.

“Despite my continuing frustration I still think that, in the best interests of the people of Denbighshire, it is vital to continue dialogue between the Council and the Health Board on these very important issues, on behalf of the residents of Denbighshire.”

Llan's bid to become a "slow" town

Llangollen is taking a fast route to officially becoming a slow town.

The town is currently bidding to become part of the Cittaslow movement, a worldwide organisation which aims to show a community is serious about sustainability – economic, social and environmental.

It developed from the Slow Food Movement, another international scheme which links the pleasure of food with a commitment to community and the environment by promoting local, seasonal produce and reconnecting people with where their food comes from.

The name Cittaslow is derived from the Italian word for city or town and is pronounced almost like 'cheetah'. Slow is English. 

Under the umbrella of the town council, Llangollen has set up a group dedicated to winning Cittaslow status for the town. 

Spokesman and town councillor Phil Thane said: “There are two major reasons for becoming a Cittaslow town. 

“Firstly, it provides a set of well recognised goals that serve to keep the town council and Denbighshire County Council up to scratch. 

“Also, when the council or a voluntary body in Llangollen applies for a grant from Cardiff, London or Brussels being a Cittaslow town shows that we are well organised and  run and should help us bring more investment into the town. 

“We want to involve as many people as possible in Cittaslow Llangollen so we've set up a website to show you what we're doing at www.cittaslow.llangollentowncouncil.co.uk 

Cllr Thane added: “One of our first targets is to create a database of local food suppliers 

“We're including anyone growing, rearing or making food within 20 miles of Llangollen. 

“We are also compiling data on voluntary groups and businesses based in Llangollen. 

“Those lists are not complete either but we're getting there.  

“If your business or group is missing, or if some details are wrong please sign up online. Once you have been approved you will be given access to update your own details. 

“Another goal is to have a Slow Food group based here in town. That's being organised by one of our group, Sal Jefford.  

“Slow Food groups – which are run by volunteers - organise a variety of events alongside local food and drink producers and chefs. 

“We will soon distribute posters and leaflets around Llangollen, or anyone interested can email: slowfoodllangollen@gmail.com, or text Sal on  07786 623802 for more information.”
 
* The Cittaslow bid is being backed by llanblogger.
 

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

"No horse" found in county council meat

Denbighshire County Council says its food suppliers are so far completely free of horse meat.

In a statement issued earlier today, the authority says: "The Council is committed to providing the best services possible to all of its consumers.

"As a result, it has carried out extensive checks with its food providers in light of the food labelling issues and no issues have emerged to date.

"We have rigorous processes in place and we already work closely with TUCO, the food consortium used by the council and they have contacted all its meat product suppliers, asking them to submit evidence that authenticity checks have been carried out to ensure that no horse meat is used in any of its products.


"The council is also contacting any suppliers outside the TUCO arrangement.

"Additional checks with our suppliers to schools, residential homes and leisure centres have been carried and no issues have emerged so far. H

"However, residents in Denbighshire can be reassurred that the council will continue liaising with its suppliers in order to carry out further checks.

"We are also working closely with the Food Standards Agency Wales through visiting food businesses such as meat cold stores and meat products premises to check on traceability of meat and reporting back to the FSA Wales with our findings."