The Daily Post is reporting today that a major project is to be launched to improve the River Dee.
See the full story at: http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/2013/02/15/major-initiative-to-improve-the-river-dee-55578-32813150/
Latest events and comments from the town of Llangollen in Denbighshire, North Wales, UK. EMAIL: llanblogger@gmail.com
Get in touch ...
Know of something happening in
Llangollen? Tweet
us on @llanblogger
E-mail your contributions to: llanblogger@gmail.com
We are on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/pages/llanbloggercouk/139122552895186
Llangollen? Tweet
us on @llanblogger
E-mail your contributions to: llanblogger@gmail.com
We are on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/pages/llanbloggercouk/139122552895186
Friday, February 15, 2013
Thursday, February 14, 2013
Concerns over replacement services when hospital shuts
* The county council is concerned whether cash will be available for community services after Llangollen Hospital is closed.
Health chiefs can give no guarantees there will be enough money to foot the bill for replacement community services once Llangollen Cottage Hospital is closed.
That was one of the messages to come from a summit meeting between representatives of Denbighshire County Council and the Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board (BCUHB).
A statement from the county council issued today (Thursday) says: "Representatives from Denbighshire County Council have held a full and frank discussion the Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board (BCUHB) to discuss concerns about the major shake-up in the health service in North Wales.
"The meeting was held following a request made by the full council and whilst councillors continue to remain very unhappy with some aspects of the proposals presented by BCUHB, they were given detailed information and assurances on other aspects of the plan.
"Concerns were raised during the meeting about capital funding required for health developments across North Wales, with £27 million of the £40 million for North Wales needed for replacement community health facilities in Denbighshire.
"Whilst BCUHB is optimistic of success, it was unable to give cast-iron guarantees that the money required would come from Welsh Government so local communities in Rhyl, Prestatyn and Llangollen still do not have certainty.
"The Council agreed to write to the Welsh Government to seek further reassurances from them.The Council was critical of the impact interim services would have on local people during the transition from existing services to new alternative services and were also critical of the way BCUHB had communicated the changes.
"BCUHB said some existing services did need to close to keep services safe today and allow for preparation for new services.
"The Council raised concerns that moving health services from hospitals into the community would inevitably impact on social care costs. BCUHB accepted that the enhanced care model could lead to additional costs for social services though they believed there was evidence these costs could be offset through patients being less disrupted and requiring less care than if they had been in hospital.
"Agreement was reached to do further work on costs and gather a common set of data to enable the effects and impact of Enhanced Care Service on health, social care and residents to be monitored and evaluated.
"Councillors were pleased with the reassurances regarding the future of Ysbyty Glan Clwyd (YGC) as a district general hospital. BCUHB gave an unequivocal commitment to the future of YGC.This includes confirming its future as the centre for complex vascular surgery and a range of general DGH and specialist functions.
"On transport, BCUHB re-stated its position which was that they have a statutory responsibility to provide transport via the ambulance service for those that meet eligibility criteria. But they do not have a responsibility to provide transport for everyone. They agreed to work in partnership with public sector organisations.
"The Council feels this is progress which needs to be followed through rapidly."
Councillor Bobby Feeley, Cabinet Lead Member for Health and Social Care, said: "The Council had lengthy discussions on the BCUHB’s proposals when councillors met last week, with many expressing serious concerns about the plans.
“The meeting gave plenty of opportunities for councillors to clearly express their concerns and those of the local community, as well as giving the Health Board an opportunity to respond in detail.
“We remain unhappy with a number of issues, we were given detail and the rationale behind some of these proposals and fully realise that the Health Board has difficult decisions to make. We were also reassured on some aspects such as the future of Ysbyty Glan Clwyd.
“Despite my continuing frustration I still think that, in the best interests of the people of Denbighshire, it is vital to continue dialogue between the Council and the Health Board on these very important issues, on behalf of the residents of Denbighshire.”
Llan's bid to become a "slow" town
Llangollen
is taking a fast route to officially becoming a slow town.
It developed from the Slow Food Movement, another international scheme which links the pleasure of food with a commitment to community and the environment by promoting local, seasonal produce and reconnecting people with where their food comes from.
The
town is currently bidding to become part of the Cittaslow
movement, a worldwide organisation which aims to show a community is serious
about sustainability – economic, social and environmental.
It developed from the Slow Food Movement, another international scheme which links the pleasure of food with a commitment to community and the environment by promoting local, seasonal produce and reconnecting people with where their food comes from.
The name Cittaslow is derived from the Italian word for city or town and is
pronounced almost like 'cheetah'. Slow is English.
Under
the umbrella of the town council, Llangollen has set up a group dedicated to
winning Cittaslow status for the town.
Spokesman
and town councillor Phil Thane said: “There are two major reasons for becoming
a Cittaslow town.
“Firstly,
it provides a set of well recognised goals that serve to keep the town council
and Denbighshire County Council up to scratch.
“Also,
when the council or a voluntary body in Llangollen applies for a grant from
Cardiff, London or Brussels being a Cittaslow town shows that we are well
organised and run and should help us
bring more investment into the town.
“We
want to involve as many people as possible in Cittaslow Llangollen so we've set
up a website to show you what we're doing at www.cittaslow.llangollentowncouncil.co.uk”
Cllr
Thane added: “One of our first targets is to create a database of local food
suppliers
“We're
including anyone growing, rearing or making food within 20 miles of Llangollen.
“We
are also compiling data on voluntary groups and businesses based in Llangollen.
“Those
lists are not complete either but we're getting there.
“If
your business or group is missing, or if some details are wrong please sign up
online. Once you have been approved you will be given access to update your own
details.
“Another
goal is to have a Slow Food group based here in town. That's being organised by
one of our group, Sal Jefford.
“Slow
Food groups – which are run by volunteers - organise a variety of events
alongside local food and drink producers and chefs.
“We
will soon distribute posters and leaflets around Llangollen, or anyone
interested can email: slowfoodllangollen@gmail.com, or text Sal on 07786 623802 for more information.”
* The Cittaslow bid is being backed by llanblogger.
Wednesday, February 13, 2013
"No horse" found in county council meat
Denbighshire County Council says its food suppliers are so far completely free of horse meat.
In a statement issued earlier today, the authority says: "The Council is committed to providing the best services possible to all of its consumers.
"As a result, it has carried out extensive checks with its food providers in light of the food labelling issues and no issues have emerged to date.
"We have rigorous processes in place and we already work closely with TUCO, the food consortium used by the council and they have contacted all its meat product suppliers, asking them to submit evidence that authenticity checks have been carried out to ensure that no horse meat is used in any of its products.
"The council is also contacting any suppliers outside the TUCO arrangement.
"Additional checks with our suppliers to schools, residential homes and leisure centres have been carried and no issues have emerged so far. H
"However, residents in Denbighshire can be reassurred that the council will continue liaising with its suppliers in order to carry out further checks.
"We are also working closely with the Food Standards Agency Wales through visiting food businesses such as meat cold stores and meat products premises to check on traceability of meat and reporting back to the FSA Wales with our findings."
In a statement issued earlier today, the authority says: "The Council is committed to providing the best services possible to all of its consumers.
"As a result, it has carried out extensive checks with its food providers in light of the food labelling issues and no issues have emerged to date.
"We have rigorous processes in place and we already work closely with TUCO, the food consortium used by the council and they have contacted all its meat product suppliers, asking them to submit evidence that authenticity checks have been carried out to ensure that no horse meat is used in any of its products.
"The council is also contacting any suppliers outside the TUCO arrangement.
"Additional checks with our suppliers to schools, residential homes and leisure centres have been carried and no issues have emerged so far. H
"However, residents in Denbighshire can be reassurred that the council will continue liaising with its suppliers in order to carry out further checks.
"We are also working closely with the Food Standards Agency Wales through visiting food businesses such as meat cold stores and meat products premises to check on traceability of meat and reporting back to the FSA Wales with our findings."
Search and rescue team in Llan
North Wales Police tweeted just after 2.30pm today (Wednesday) that members of North East Wales Search and Rescue (NEWSAR) are currently conducting a rescue in the Llangollen area.
Latest tweet from North Wales Police says: "Many thanks NEWSAR - blizzard conditions - snow/high winds - male carried down on stretcher - suspect broken leg - now in hospital."
There are no details of where the rescue took place.
Latest tweet from North Wales Police says: "Many thanks NEWSAR - blizzard conditions - snow/high winds - male carried down on stretcher - suspect broken leg - now in hospital."
There are no details of where the rescue took place.
Llan under snow ...
It started snowing in Llangollen before 8am today (Wednesday) and by lunchtime was still coming down thick and fast.
llanblogger went out and about around town to capture these pictures of some of our famous landmarks under a covering of the white stuff.
llanblogger went out and about around town to capture these pictures of some of our famous landmarks under a covering of the white stuff.
* Plas Newydd. |
* The bridge. |
* The railway. |
* St Collen's churchyard. |
Regional leaders welcome prison plan
The North Wales Regional Leadership Board has welcomed the announcement of Justice Secretary, Chris Grayling to consider building a prison in North Wales.
The board represents the leaders from the six North Wales councils, the Police and Crime Commissioner, North Wales Police, North Wales Fire and Rescue Authority and the Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board
Councillor Hugh Evans, Leader of Denbighshire County Council, said: “The board has been lobbying for a prison in North Wales for over five years. It is great news that we are on the shortlist of regions to be considered for a new prison."
Representatives of the board met the Prisons Minister with the Wales Office in October last year and presented a case for locating a prison in North Wales.
Cllr Evans added: "I believe our efforts have put us in contention for a substantial investment in our region that could create over a thousand jobs and provide a major £50m per annum boost to the whole economy of North Wales.”
The board represents the leaders from the six North Wales councils, the Police and Crime Commissioner, North Wales Police, North Wales Fire and Rescue Authority and the Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board
Councillor Hugh Evans, Leader of Denbighshire County Council, said: “The board has been lobbying for a prison in North Wales for over five years. It is great news that we are on the shortlist of regions to be considered for a new prison."
Representatives of the board met the Prisons Minister with the Wales Office in October last year and presented a case for locating a prison in North Wales.
Cllr Evans added: "I believe our efforts have put us in contention for a substantial investment in our region that could create over a thousand jobs and provide a major £50m per annum boost to the whole economy of North Wales.”
Subscribe to:
Comments (Atom)