Get in touch ...

Know of something happening in
Llangollen?
Tweet
us on
@llanblogger

E-mail your contributions to: llanblogger@gmail.com

We are on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/pages/llanbloggercouk/139122552895186



Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Meeting pledges to fight for Llan health services


* Mabon Ap Gwynfor addresses the audience at the public meeting.

PEOPLE in Llangollen are not going to let their community hospital go without a fight.
That was the message which came from a packed public meeting at The Hand Hotel in the town last night (Monday).
Attended by around 60 people, it was called by the newly-formed action group opposing controversial plans by the Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board (BCUHB) to close the Cottage Hospital and replace it with a new health centre, possibly on the site of the derelict River Lodge hotel just down the road.
People at the meeting took up the invitation from members of Keep Llangollen Health Services to write letters opposing the plans to the BCUHB and to patients’ watchdog body the Community Health Council.
A number put pen to paper at the meeting.
They also signed a protest petition which has been going around Llangollen for the past few weeks and currently contains over 1,000 local names.
KLHS member Maria Haines said there were a number of concerns about the board’s proposals and that it was essential local people expressed their opinions before the official public consultation ends on October 28.
She explained that while local people might want to see a new health centre provided, many were unhappy the board had already said it would not offer the same range of facilities as the Cottage Hospital, including care beds and a minor injuries unit.
There was also fears the board might not be able to attract the necessary finance to pay for the new centre and, even if it did, there could be a gap of two-three years between the hospital closing and the new centre being opened, she claimed.
She added there were further worries about who would pay for the enhanced community care for the elderly which the board says will replace care beds at the hospital.
Ms Haines said: “We need to ask the health board to look again at this and come up with more options.”
Another group member Mabon Ap Gwynfor branded the health board’s proposals as “a sham and faulty” and said they would end up costing more to implement than any savings they would achieve.
He added: “I would urge everyone to send in letters setting out their views about these proposals to the health board and the Community Health Council.
“They should know the strength of feeling there is in Llangollen.
“We are not going to let the hospital go without a fight.”
* The address to write to at the health board is: Mary Burrows, Chief Executive, Freepost RSZZ-SGXY-TSEZ, Bertsi Cadwaladr University Health Board, Matthew House Unit 35, Llys Edmund Prys, St Asaph Business Park, St Asaph, LL17 0JA.

* Address of the Betsi Cadwaladr Community Health Council is: Cartrefle, Cefn Road, Wrexham, LL13 9NH.

Monday, October 15, 2012

Health chief happy about shake-up plans debate

A health chief says he is pleased with the “lively and robust” debate which has taken place so far on plans for a major shake-up of services in the region.

Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board is currently consulting on proposals for changes to healthcare services in North Wales.
These include a controversial proposal to shut down Llangollen Cottage Hospital and replace it with a new health centre in the town, which will be the subject of a public meeting at The Hand Hotel at 7pm tonight (Monday).
The consultation closes on October 28 and the health board says it is keen for as many people as possible to share their views before the deadline.
The board’s executive director of planning Neil Bradshaw said: “We have already had many people coming forward to offer their views, take part in debates and suggest alternative approaches.  

“We have been pleased with the lively and robust debate we have had so far.  

“As the consultation period draws to a close, we want to take this opportunity to encourage as many people as possible to share their views and opinions with us before the Health Board makes any decisions.”

Key areas for consultation are:
· Healthcare services where you live (Localities and Community services)
· Older People Mental Health services
· Neonatal Intensive Care
· Vascular and Major Arterial surgery 

The board’s chief executive Mary Burrows said:  “The health board is clear that we cannot afford to stand still. The status quo is not an option.  

“The proposals we are now making are intended to change the way in which services are provided and where they are provided to meet quality standards.  

“Our aim is to improve health, not just extend life. We believe that services should be close to where people live whenever it is safe and appropriate. When more specialist care is needed, hospitals must be centres of excellence so the best possible care is available when needed and from the right people.” 

If the board decides to go ahead with proposals, changes will start in early 2013 with the aim of finishing the process by 2015. 

Consultation responses can be made and more information is available:-
· online at www.bcuhbjointhedebate.wales.nhs.uk and completing the online questionnaire
· by calling Freephone 0800 678 5297
· by writing to BCUHB Join the Debate, FREEPOST RSZZ-SGXY-TSEZ, LL17 0JA
A large print version or other formats or languages are available on request from Freephone 0800 678 5297 or email at jointhedebate@wales.nhs.uk.
You can also give your comments to the Community Health Council, your independent NHS Watchdog. You can give your views in confidence at yourvoice@bcchc.org.uk or by telephone on 01248 679284.

"Save our services" campaign gains momentum

Llangollen’s community campaign to save its local health services is gaining momentum with a call by Assembly Member Llyr Gruffydd for a guarantee about continuing care in the town
Llyr Gruffydd, Plaid Cymru’s North Wales AM, said: “Evidence is emerging that the plan by Betsi Cadwaladr to close Llangollen’s hospital and place patients in private nursing homes doesn’t really hold water. Even as an interim move this won’t work because the capacity isn’t there locally.
“The other part of the plan involves building a new health centre in the town without beds. But it is again becoming apparent that this will take years to achieve and, in the meantime, people needing localised care would be left high and dry.
“The capital needed to build a new health centre would come from the Welsh Government, which is facing drastic cuts in the block grant from central government.
 
"Does Betsi Cadwaladr have an assurance that the money it needs to build a new health centre is available? We need a guarantee that Llangollen will not be left in limbo with no hospital and no health centre.”
He added that the consultation by Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board was revealing many unanswered questions on this and other proposed cuts and downgrading of local hospitals such as Ruthin and Chirk.
 
Mr Gruffydd said: “I fully support the Keep Llangollen Health Services campaign to improve local healthcare in the Vale of Llangollen. The loss of services in rural areas is already very keenly felt and this is yet another example of an area of south Denbighshire potentially losing a key service.”

Health chiefs accused of "selling assets"


* The house up for sale on Abbey Road.
 
Health chiefs have been accused of selling off their assets in Llangollen even before they have finished consulting about a major shake-up of services which will radically affect the town. 

The charge comes from a member of campaign group Keep Lllangollen Health Services, which has organised a public meeting tonight  (Monday) on the proposal by the Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board to close the Cottage Hospital and replace it with a new health centre, possibly on the site of the derelict River Lodge just down the road. 

Group member Martin Crumpton has released a statement in which he says: “Even before the end of the consultation period, Betsi Cadwaladr have made a tactical move to begin selling off its assets in Llangollen.” 

And he gives an internet link to the property-for-sale website Rightmove which gives details of a three-storey Victorian house, known as Dol Afon Villas, on Abbey Road. 

This, says the description, has been put on the market “on the instructions of Betsi Cadwaladr University”. 

It has an asking price of £125,000.      

Mr Crumpton says in his statement: “ The property is on the Cottage Hospital site and within a car’s width of the hospital itself.

“The asking price is well below the asking price for such a property, so they’re hoping for a quick sale – a fait accompli.” 

He adds: “This proves what we already know – Betsi Cadwaladr cannot be trusted. 

“This will be raised at the public meeting by Keep Llangollen Health Services on Monday, October 15, 7pm, Hand Hotel, Llangollen. Please be there.”

Millions "better off" with new benefit, says AM

North Wales Assembly Member Mark Isherwood claims 2.8 million people will be better off under the UK Government’s Universal Credit.
Questioning the Minister for Finance in the Senedd over Welsh Government engagement with the UK Government in relation to Universal Credit, Mr Isherwood (pictured left) emphasised that Universal Credit will lift around 900,000 children and adults of poverty.
He also asked the Minister: “What engagement has the Welsh Government had with the UK Government on the design of the Universal Credit, with regard to which the UK Government has pledged that claimants who are not yet ready to budget for themselves on a monthly basis will be protected and assisted onto the new system?”
Speaking outside the Chamber, Mr Isherwood, who earlier this year welcomed news that Universal Credit, as well as being simpler for people to use, will leave the average household £25 better off a week, added: “These reforms are not about saving money. The UK Government are actually spending £2 billion more on Universal Credit than under the current system.
"They are also investing an additional £300 million into childcare support under Universal Credit, on top of £2 billion already spent under the current system. This will mean that around 80,000 more families with children will benefit from childcare support for the first time by removing the hours rule.
"Universal Credit is the most radical redesign of the benefits system this country has ever seen. It will replace the current costly, outdated process with a digital system that will be simpler to use and make work pay.”

Sunday, October 14, 2012

Railway exhibition attracted 500 visitors


* Llangollen Railway Trust chairman Jim Ritchie and Martin Christie from

Carrog station lift the Welsh flag to open the exhibition.

Llangollen Railway Trust says it is pleased with the public response to an exhibition showcasing its Corwen extension project. 

Plans for the scheme, which aims to be complete by 2014, were displayed  at the Oriel Gallery in Corwen for seven days until October 7. 

The exhibition was staged by the Edeyrnion Heritage and Cultural attracted over 500 visitors and featured a collection of archive photographs brought together from various sources, including personal contributions by local residents. 

The intention was to present a comprehensive review of the railway as it once existed in Corwen when it was a major junction for two lines serving North Wales.  

The screening of a sequence of digital images of the station, the town and the steam trains proved particularly attractive and caught the attention of visitors for considerable periods with its depth of detail. 

One particularly important historical item was photograph of a group of railway workers and visitors taken in August 1919. 

This was digitally repaired and enlarged from a crumpled copy retrieved from a scrap container.  

Several of the men in the photograph have since been identified. 

The photographic display was enhanced by items of traditional railway equipment and interest was such that visitors produced some of their own railway artefacts, as well as personal memories of the railway. 

The Corwen elements of the exhibition were supported by displays from Llangollen Railway’s Corwen extension project, the new build Patriot Locomotive Project and a review of the work undertaken to restore the station at Carrog as an example of what can be achieved to recreate a heritage facility.  

The exhibition raised money for the Edeyrnion Society, the Corwen extension project and the Patriot group. 

The attendance was far in excess of predictions with visitors from the town supported by those from a larger catchment area in North Wales and beyond.  

Paul Lawton, one of the organisers, said: “The visitors’ book is packed with favourable comments from many who came through the doors and enjoyed the exhibition. 

“We all hope that this is a step towards a permanent exhibition in Corwen and will eventually lead to a full-scale transport museum that shows Corwen’s importance as the crossroads of North Wales. 

Norman Jones, board member of Edeyrnion Heritage and Cultural Society, said: “We are delighted that over 500 visitors came to the exhibition.
 
“The society wishes to thank all concerned for their efforts and looks forward to the exhibition being repeated in the future at other venues in Edeyrnion. 

“The Oriel Gallery proved to be an ideal venue for the occasion and the society hopes to capitalise on this success with plans to celebrate Denbighshire’s importance as a farming centre.”

George Jones, for Llangollen Railway Trust, said: “The opportunity to engage with local residents, and other visitors, allowed for certain misapprehensions to be corrected and for the work in progress to be explained, along with the need for additional funds to complete the project. 

“The success of the exhibition demonstrated what can be achieved when like-minded organisations come together with a common purpose to promote a shared aim.” 

The exhibition was supported by Cadwyn Clwyd Rural Development Agency, Denbighshire Rural Development Plan Partnership, the European Agricultural Fund for Rural Development and the Welsh Government.

"Celtic Union" call to improve transport links

 
The Welsh Government should form a ‘Celtic Union’ to make the case for transport infrastructure improvements through North Wales.
 
That was the suggestion from Clwyd South Assembly Member Ken Skates as he spoke in a debate in the Assembly.
 
The Labour AM said upgrades to the road, rail and ferry network across North Wales, which forms part of the Trans-European Transport Network (TEN-T), needed strong backing from Cardiff, Stormont and Dublin.
He said the potential of North Wales to be a ‘bridge’ between mainland Europe and Ireland was enormous and that having a Celtic Union to lobby for infrastructure improvements such as electrification of the North Wales rail line and upgrade of the A55 was vital.
The AM has pledged to raise the issue with Irish parliamentary colleagues at a conference in Glasgow later this month.
Mr Skates said: “North Wales has huge potential to be a bridge between mainland Europe, UK and the island of Ireland. It forms a vital part of a strategic Trans-European transport route, the potential of which to lever in investment and new jobs has yet to be fully realised.
“The main North Wales rail line to Holyhead is a key part of a Trans-European rail route from Minsk to Galway. The A55 also forms part of the Trans European Road Network which links Ireland with the rest of the UK and Europe.
“The Welsh Government needs to engage with the Irish Governments to form a major lobbying force with which it can make a joint case for investment in renewing our transport infrastructure across North Wales.
“Infrastructure upgrades such as securing electrification of the North Wales mainline are amongst the most important strategic barriers to growth facing the region in the coming decades.
“Improvements to the road and rail network in North Wales are vital to ensuring the region is not left behind. The needs of North Wales when it comes to transport are slightly different to the rest of Wales and this needs to be recognised more effectively in government policy.
“A dynamic and joined-up lobbying operation with both the Welsh and Irish Governments making a focused business case for greater investment in the Trans European Transport Network would be a powerful tool. It could help bring jobs and hope back to North Wales and potentially lever in millions of pounds of private sector investment.”
“We’ve seen huge investment in South Wales through a commitment to electrify the Swansea to London and South wales valley lines as well as £500 million for a new western link into Heathrow. What we need to see now is a similarly ambitious and direct investment into the future of North Wales, too.”