Get in touch ...

Know of something happening in
Llangollen?
Tweet
us on
@llanblogger

E-mail your contributions to: llanblogger@gmail.com

We are on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/pages/llanbloggercouk/139122552895186



Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Get Llan "on the march" to save hospital, says AM

llanblogger exclusive

An Assembly Member wants to get Llanbgollen people on the march to save the town’s closure-threatened Cottage Hospital.

Plaid Cymru member for North Wales Llyr Gruffydd says he would like to see a similar protest effort to the one organised to preserve Flint’s community hospital, which saw 1,500 people march through the town last week. 

The Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board recently unveiled its controversial plan to shut Llangollen hospital and replace it with a new health centre on the site of the derelict Woodlands hotel off the A539. 

But the news caused a wave of protest locally, with a call for a referendum of residents being made at a heated public meeting in the Hand Hotel.   

Tomorrow (Wednesday) will see a series of public briefing sessions on the plan being staged by officials of the health board at the Hand.  

But Mr Gruffydd, who is supporting the campaign to save the hospital, has arranged his own public meeting at the same venue the following evening. 

He said: “A campaign meeting to fight the current proposals to close the Llangollen Community Hospital will be held at the Hand Hotel, on Thursday evening (September 27) at 7pm. 

The plan is to form a group to push the campaign forward. 

“You might have heard that 1,500 people marched through Flint to save their community hospital last week. This will have made a significant impact.
“Flint is a town of 12,000. If we could get an equivalent from in Llan to march that would mean getting over 400 people marching!
“We’ve got over 800 signatures on the petition already.
“To do this we need a committee to organise things.
“If you want Llangollen to have a similar impact then please join the meeting. It would be good to have your input.”

Government may support major cycling event

The Welsh Government is considering lending its support to next year's Etape Cymru cycling road race which passes over the Horseshoe Pass.
 
This year's event took place earlier this month and was a huge success. 
 
Now, Clwyd South Assembly member Ken Skates has called on the Welsh Government and council officials in North Wales to secure the future of race.

* Ken Skates AM - questions.
The event attracted 1,200 riders, including local Olympic medallist Chris Bartley, as well as drawing in many hundreds of spectators along the route.
However, there is uncertainty as to where the race will be held in 2013 with a start and finish point yet to be agreed.
The AM raised the issue with the First Minister in the Senedd t6oday (Tuesday).
Mr Skates said: “The Etape Cymru road race was a huge success this year, drawing in over a thousand riders and scores of people coming out onto the roads in Denbighshire to watch and enjoy the racing.
“It’s clear that the event has huge potential. Cycling is one of the most popular sports in the UK and the roads of North Wales are absolutely perfect for top-level racing of this kind.
“The 92 mile race takes in some of the most stunning landscapes in Europe along The Horseshoe Pass, The Garth and Worlds End and can help promote Denbighshire and North East Wales as a top-level holiday destination, boosting cycling tourism in the region.
“If we worked hard to grow the event it could be a real money-spinner for the local economy, but crucially it needs support, vision and energy to make it a success.
“The local Council in Denbighshire need to get fully behind the project and officials in the Major Events Unit at the Welsh Government need to better understand its growth potential.
“There is still some work to do to secure the future of the event and ensure it has a venue and sponsorship for 2013. This needs to be sorted out quickly in order to capitalise on the potential of the event and establish it as a major feature on international road cycling calendar.”
 
The First Minister said the Etape Race would be one of the events the Major Events Unit would consider for support.

TV show featuring hospital battle is delayed

The screening of a TV show featuring the battle to save Llangollen Cottage Hospital has been delayed until next month.

In August an ITV Wales film crew turned up in Abbey Road headed by political editor Adrian Masters.

* The film sequence is shot outside the hospital last month. 
They were there to interview Llan campaigner Martin Crumpton for a report on a forthcoming episode of Sharp End, the station's flagship political programme, about the controversery surrounding the health board plans to shut down the town's Cottage Hospital.

Mr Crumpton has been campaigning against the closure proposal, which is currently out to public consultation until October 28.


ITV said at the time that the segment, which was shot on the pavement opposite the hospital, would be screened in late September.

But producer Greg Lewis has been in touch with llanblogger to say: "Just to let you know for reasons beyond our control the programme Wales This Week: Who Runs Wales? is now being broadcast on Tuesday, October 9, at 7.30pm."

Emergency guide for youngsters

With the weather taking a turn for the worse, advice about what to do in an emergency has been re-issued on a website for young people in Denbighshire.

Developed by Denbighshire and Flintshire County Council’s Emergency Planning Department with the Flintshire Youth Inspectors and the Young Flintshire Editorial Group, the site tells young people how to be prepared in case of fire, flood and extreme weather as well as who to contact in a crisis. 


There are also links to the various emergency services

The information can be found by going to www.youthden.com and following the links from the front page.

History made on Llangollen Railway


* The diesel train formation leaving Carrog on the new track as
seen from the riverside walk footpath crossing.

 
 
* Colin Wheeler in the cab of diesel locomotive No D5310 at Carrog.

 
A LITTLE bit of history is believed to have been made at Llangollen Railway over the weekend.

Rail fans from across the country flocked there for a special diesel day on Saturday.

Among the attractions was the last Llangollen appearance of Class 31 diesel locomotive No 5580 before its departure to the Great Central North railway at Ruddington.

The loco has been at Llangollen for the past two seasons and has made an impression with its early-body styling and unusual six-wheel bogie arrangement.

Before leaving for its new home, the Class 31 made history as it hauled the last train of the day on to the new track extension to the present railhead near Plas Bown Farm.

This is believed to have been the first occasion a diesel locomotive has pulled a passenger train west of Corwen as, prior to closure of the line in January 1965, all services were steam hauled, although there had been special excursion trains operated by diesel rail cars.

To provide this special shuttle train a Class 26 diesel was attached at the rear to provide a "top and tail" working arrangement.

Railway press officer George Jones said: "The operation of this train on the extension created a lot of interest with visiting rail fans keen to sample a new stretch of track alongside the River Dee.

“They were pleased to see what has been achieved so far in extending the line towards Corwen."

Saturday also saw a prime piece of nostalgia when Colin Wheeler from Smethwick was reunited with one of the diesel locomotives he helped to build back in the late 1950s when he worked at the Birmingham Railway Carriage & Wagon Company.
Colin was able to sample the cab of Class 26 locomotive No D5310 and he recalled the days when this was a new class of diesel locomotive built for British Railways and most of which were sent to work in Scotland.

Noise reduction plan for Ruabon bypass

Clwyd South Assembly Member Ken Skates has welcomed news that work to reduce noise on the Ruabon bypass - used regularly by Llan motorists - is to be undertaken by the Welsh Government.
Local Government Minister Carl Sargeant has written to Mr Skates to say that Ramboll Consultants have been appointed by the government to undertake detailed noise modelling on the A483 at Ruabon and oversee construction of a noise barrier on sections of the road.
The two metre high fence will be made of timber and is planned to be erected within the existing highway boundary.
Mr Skates said: “I’m pleased the Welsh Government is taking steps to reduce noise levels on the Ruabon bypass. It is a very important road economically, however sections of the trunk road can be quite noisy and it’s important we do all we can to reduce the sound coming from traffic.
“The road already utilises a low noise surface material, but the addition of timber noise barriers could help reduce noise and disruption from traffic still further.
“What is important is that we get public and business support from those most directly impacted by this and that the contractors work with the local community to get the best result.
“I am conscious of the harmful effect high noise levels can have on people’s quality of life and so I am glad this work is now being prioritised by the Welsh Government.”

Monday, September 24, 2012

Council monitors flooding as heavy rain continues

Breaking news ...

Denbighshire County Council is continuing to monitor the weather situation as the heavy rain that has been affecting the region continues.
The Environment Agency has issued flood alerts for the Upper and Lower Dee rivers, as well as the River Clwyd from Clocaenog to Ruthin.

The council says it has received a significant number of calls and requests for sandbags over recent hours, with the Corwen and Prestatyn seeming to be the worst affected areas.

The main problems appear to be with streams and other watercourses overflowing and creating problems but the council assures it is doing all it can to deal with any problems.

If you are concerned about flooding in your area, you should call the Floodline number on 0845 988 1188 using quickdial 192002 for up-to-date flooding information. People can also follow television, radio and online weather forecasts for the latest information.