Get in touch ...

Know of something happening in
Llangollen?
Tweet
us on
@llanblogger

E-mail your contributions to: llanblogger@gmail.com

We are on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/pages/llanbloggercouk/139122552895186



Monday, February 21, 2022

MP raises over £2,000 on cancer charity challenge

* Simon Baynes MP outside Chirk Castle during one of his runs.

Clwyd South MP Simon Baynes recently completed the 50-mile running challenge in aid of Maggie’s Centres and managed to raise over £2,000 for the cause in memory of family members. 

Maggie’s Centres are based in various locations and offer support free to anyone with cancer and their families who walk through the doors. 

The centres were founded by Maggie Keswick Jencks who used her own experience of having cancer to create a new type of cancer care. 

The first centre opened in Edinburgh in 1996 and, since then, a network of centres across the UK and some abroad have now been established to offer care to those facing cancer. 

Mr Baynes had to run 50 miles for the challenge, with the money raised assisting those who use the centres. 

In total, he raised over £2,000, which was inclusive of match-funding. 

His efforts and those of others who took up the challenge resulted in a total of £115,037 being raised. 

Mr Baynes said: “I was pleased to complete this challenge for a cause that is close to my heart as both my parents and my father-in-law died of cancer. 

"It is quite a long time since I did any running and therefore I had to build up my fitness gradually over the 5 weeks of the challenge. 

"I did the running in Wales and also in London in the evenings after working in Parliament and I discovered many sights which I had not seen before. 

"I am very grateful to the large number of family and friends who sponsored me for this truly inspirational cause which brings so much comfort and hope to people suffering with cancer across the UK.”

No comments:

Post a Comment