Get in touch ...

Know of something happening in
Llangollen?
Tweet
us on
@llanblogger

E-mail your contributions to: llanblogger@gmail.com

We are on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/pages/llanbloggercouk/139122552895186



Friday, April 24, 2020

Latest Covid-19 update from Welsh Government


  • Latest coronavirus update, dated yesterday, from the Welsh Government is:

  • The National Cyber Security Centre (NCSC) has tackled more than 2,000 online scams, from sites posing as legitimate companies requesting personal information such as passwords or credit card details, to false online shops selling fraudulent coronavirus related items.

Where to find the latest information


Hard-hit launderette fights to stay open for the community




* Blue Bay owner Jayne Davies.

A Llangollen business owner has revealed her struggle to stay open to serve the community despite suffering “massively” because of the coronavirus lockdown.

Jayne Davies, who runs the Blue Bay Launderette in Regent Street, says she has so far received no money from the government’s Business Grant Fund and is not entitled to claim anything from the loss of earnings scheme because she has stayed open as a service to the area’s vulnerable people.

Jayne said: “I own the business and have done for 30 years. Sarah Edwards has worked for me for the last nine years and is very popular with the customers.

“I decided at the start of this pandemic that I would try and keep the launderette open as it is an essential service. The community have supported me for 30 years so this is my way of supporting the community during their hour of need.

“Unfortunately, we have lost a huge part of our business as most of our business caters towards commercial work.

“However, we also cater to the domestic community which includes high risk and vulnerable people who are self- isolating.

“Since the pandemic started we have started to offer a pick up and delivery service to help such people plus whoever would like to take advantage of it.”

Jayne added: “We have been massively impacted by the virus as have most businesses but by remaining open we are not entitled to the government’s 80% loss of earnings, plus we have not received any money from the business grant fund as of yet.

“I have had to reduce the days we are open from six to three to try and make opening as viable as possible.

“It was recently arranged for us to have funding from the Llangollen Coronavirus Help Group for key workers to bring their laundry in to be done free of charge.

“This is to try and generate more business for us as we are not very busy plus help the key workers, However, no one has taken advantage of this or shown interest as of yet.”

Since contacting llanblogger Jayne says she has been made aware that the Llangollen help group received a £1,000 sponsor donation for key workers to have free laundry.

Mike Connolly, a volunteer with the coronavirus help group, said: "I call them unsung heroes.

"They do all their work with a smile. We are lucky to have them, and, during coronavirus they are collecting, washing, drying and returning to over-70s and those self-isolating on medical advice."




* Sarah Edwards who also works at the Blue Bay Launderette.

Thursday, April 23, 2020

Banner shows support for NHS and carers during tonight's big clap


* People from Llangollen joined the weekly Thursday Clap for Carers once again tonight, and this picture was sent in by James Manning.

It shows a large blue and white banner being displayed on the riverside supporting the NHS and key workers. 

Message from Llangollen Health Centre


Llangollen Health Centre has sent out this urgent message:
"There is general concern amongst the healthcare profession that people may not be seeking medical help for illnesses and symptoms that are not related to Covid-19.
"Some patients are telling us that they don’t want to bother the doctor at this time but we would like to assure you all that we are here and still able to help you. 
"Only a small number of clinical procedures, such as cervical screening, have been suspended for the time being.
"Other patients may be nervous of coming to the Health Centre but please be assured that we have many measures in place to ensure that our patients and staff are safe.
"You can contact us via email or telephone, and our GPs and nurses are able to provide advice on the telephone, or via text or video link. Patients are brought down to the health centre only when absolutely necessary and are screened for Covid-19 symptoms before they enter the building.
"Please do not wait too long to seek urgent assessment and treatment.
§ For parents if your child is unwell and you are concerned you should seek help
§ Those with urgent dental pain should still call your dentist
§ If you have a health complaint that is worrying you and will not go away you should call your GP
Llangollen Health Centre - 01978 860625 / Llangollen.Admin@wales.nhs.uk

Eisteddfod to get £338,000 to help with coronavirus impact



Llangollen International Musical Eisteddfod has been awarded almost £350,000 by the Welsh Government to help with the impact of Covid-19.

It is one of two of Wales's flagship cultural events to receive financial support from the government.

Both the local eisteddfod and the Eisteddfod Genedlaethol have announced that their 2020 summer events will not take place as planned, with the national eisteddfod postponed to take place in Ceredigion in 2021.  


Funding of more than £800,000 will be shared by the two events to help with business continuity through 2020, including planning and preparation for the 2021 events.

Llangollen's share is £338,000 and the national will get £500,000.

Minister for International Relations and Welsh Language, Eluned Morgan, said:
“The Llangollen International Musical Eisteddfod and the Eisteddfod Genedlaethol are two signature events in Wales’ summer events calendar – which provide a fantastic platform to showcase our arts and culture.   

"We are working closely with the organisers to support them through this difficult period and to assist them in building a sustainable future.

“The National Eisteddfod in its current format has been delivering the festival for well over a hundred years.  In difficult times like these, it’s important to recognise and provide a strong cultural heritage for future generations, as well as nurture and provide a platform for Welsh language artists of the future and to support new works of arts and literature.”

Rhys Davies, Chairman, Llangollen International Musical Eisteddfod said: “We are very grateful for the support of Welsh Government so that we can continue to promote Welsh Culture on the International stage and spread the Peace Message around the world. There are going to be challenges for all festivals in future so collaboration is the key.”

Clwyd South AM Ken Skates said: "I welcome this funding for Llangollen's showpiece event and I'm proud that the Welsh Government continues to provide crucial support to promote Welsh culture and the Eisteddfod's message of hope and peace to a global audience."





Applications invited for government's £500 coronavirus fund



Applications can now be made for support from the second phase of the Welsh Government’s £500m Economic Resilience Fund.
Economy, Transport and North Wales Minister Ken Skates released detailed information last week about this tranche of the fund, worth £200m, including eligibility criteria for businesses and charities to enable them to prepare to apply.

The fund offers further financial support in dealing with coronavirus crisis and will be vital in helping organisations manage cash flow pressures. It has been designed to address gaps not currently met by schemes already announced by the UK Government, Welsh Government and Development Bank of Wales. This is a unique additional funding stream for Wales.

The first stage saw the £100m Development Bank of Wales’ loan scheme fully subscribed in little more than a week with applications currently being processed.
This phase is targeted at micro businesses, SMEs and large businesses of critical social or economic importance to Wales.

Applications can be made through the Business Wales website.

More than 120 Welsh Government and Business Wales contract staff have been diverted onto processing the many applications that are expected to ensure that money reaches businesses as quickly as possible.

Minister for Economy, Transport and North Wales, Ken Skates said:
“Funding from the second phase of our Economic Resilience Fund is going to be absolutely essential for businesses, charities and social enterprises in seeing them through this incredibly tough period.

“Last week, I announced the eligibility criteria for the fund, and businesses have used this time to study whether they qualify for financial support. Those who feel they do can apply through the Business Wales website from today.

“We will be processing applications as fast as possible and we have moved staff into roles for exactly this purpose - to get money out quickly to businesses who need it.

“We are going to support as many firms as possible through this £200m tranche of funding, but I have been clear that it will not reach everyone.

“We are doing all that we can as a Welsh Government and although we fully understand how difficult times are, we need the UK Government to go further and provide the money needed for Welsh firms, of all sizes, to survive and recover.”

To be eligible for this second stage of support from the Economic Resilience Fund, businesses, charities and social enterprises, must meet criteria including:
  • Micro businesses, including start-ups, employing up to nine employees could be eligible for up to £10k support. This includes sole traders employing staff. Businesses in this bracket could qualify for support from the fund if they:
    > Have experienced in excess of a 40% reduction in turnover since 1 March 2020
    > Can demonstrate that efforts have been made to sustain business activity
    > Are not pursuing other forms of Welsh Government non-repayable grant funding support
    > Are not be entitled to business rate relief grant

  • Small and medium sized firms with between 10 and 249 employees could be eligible for grants of up to £100,000 if they:
    > Have experienced in excess of a 60% reduction in turnover since the first day of March
    > Are not be eligible for business rate relief grants, or if they are, that amount would be deducted from their allocation from this fund
    > Have a sustainable business plan to trade beyond the Covid-19 pandemic
    > Confirm no future compulsory redundancies will be made as long as the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme is in place
    > Are not be pursuing any other form of Welsh Government non-repayable grant funding support

Funding will also be available to support large businesses with more than 249 employees. Applications will be considered on a case-by-case basis to consider where funding can be deployed most effectively to compliment other sources of support.

The application process for businesses qualifying for financial support from the Economic Resilience Fund can be found at: https://fundchecker.businesswales.gov.wales  

Councillor notifies of changes to T3 bus timings

Llangollen county councillor Graham Timms has sent over the following information about timetable changes next week to the T3 bus service, run by Lloyds Coaches, which runs through town: