Get in touch ...

Know of something happening in
Llangollen?
Tweet
us on
@llanblogger

E-mail your contributions to: llanblogger@gmail.com

We are on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/pages/llanbloggercouk/139122552895186



Thursday, April 16, 2020

Vulnerable residents to get phone call from county council

Denbighshire County Council is contacting vulnerable residents to check on their wellbeing and offer community support during the coronavirus outbreak.

Everybody receiving shielding letters from the Chief Medical Officer for Wales will also be called by a Council officer to arrange community support or food box deliveries if required. 

If you believe you fall into one of the categories of extremely vulnerable people and you have not received a letter from the Welsh Government, you should discuss your concerns with your GP or hospital clinician.

So far more than 2,000 residents have been contacted and support provided has included referrals to community groups or local charities for help with, for example, advice about finances, grocery shopping or dog walking.

Cllr Bobby Feeley, the Council’s Lead member for Well-being and Independence, said: “We are working to ensure all residents in the county who have had a shielding letter, will also be contacted by the Council by phone as soon as possible, and we will keep in touch with them throughout the lockdown period.

“We are supporting our residents by making them aware of the support available in their own community, as well has offering advice on how to stay safe from scammers. Any residents who are concerned about the legitimacy of these calls can hang up and call the Council back direct on 01824 706000.

“People have been telling us they are really appreciative of the calls and we want to reassure residents we are undertaking this work as quickly as possible.”

One resident who had received a call said: “I would like to applaud what Denbighshire County Council is doing and I’d like to thank the Council for the call. We really appreciate it and we really appreciate all those still going to work and everything that has been done for us. Well done.”

Cllr Feeley added: “As a Council we understand it is not only those in receipt of a shielding letter that need support. If anyone is worried about themselves or a friend, relative or neighbour they can call the Council on 01824 706000 and a call-back will be arranged as soon as possible.”



Maelor theatre assistant loses his life to Covid-19


* Andy Treble pictured with his daughter Emily.

Betsi Cadwaldr health board has issued the fuollowing statement about the death of one of its staff from Covid-19:

"It is with profound sadness that we can confirm that Andy Treble, a Theatre Assistant at Wrexham Maelor Hospital, has passed away.
Andy sadly died on the Critical Care Unit on Wednesday, 15 April after testing positive for COVID-19.
Andy, 57, had worked at Wrexham Maelor Hospital for almost 40 years and was well-loved by his colleagues.
His sister, Maria Molloy, described her brother as a ‘kind man’ who dedicated his life to his profession, and ‘always had a smile on his face’.
She said: “Andy absolutely loved working at the Maelor, his colleagues were his other family.
“He had a very kind nature and always put everyone else before himself. He was always laughing and smiling, he was such a good man.
“We are devastated by his loss but would like to thank the Critical Care team who did their very best for Andy and above all were there for him at the very end. We will be forever grateful to them.”
Andy’s 17-year-old daughter, Emily Treble, has also expressed her sadness and said her father would be deeply missed.
She said: “He was such a lovely man, I’m proud to call him my father.
“He’s helped me through so much and he has always been there for me.
“He always cheered me up by watching Laurel and Hardy together. He was so kind, so loving and he will be missed forever.”
Andy also leaves behind his three other sisters, Caroline, Pauline and Linda.
David Bevan, Theatre Manager at Wrexham Maelor Hospital, said: “The theatre team wish to send sincere condolences to Andy’s family. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.
“Andy was a well-loved colleague and friend to us all. His loss has left a hole in his theatre family and he will be sadly missed by everyone. Andy was a hardworking, caring and compassionate member of our team with a wonderful sense of humour that touched us all.
“Rest in peace Andy – our colleague and friend”.
Imran Devji, Wrexham Maelor Hospital’s Managing Director, added: “On behalf of the staff at the hospital, and across the wider Health Board, I would like to extend our sincere condolences to Andy’s family. Our thoughts are with them at this difficult time.
“Andy was a valued member of the team and was very well-liked amongst his colleagues.
“We are deeply saddened at the passing of a much loved member of staff. He will be truly missed by us all.”
In a joint statement, Betsi Cadwaladr Health Board’s Chief Executive Simon Dean and Chairman Mark Polin, said: “We offer our deepest condolences to Andy’s family, friends and colleagues at this terribly sad time. Every death from COVID-19 is devastating for loved ones, but when it is a colleague, it is all the more poignant.
“Andy was proud to work for the Health Service and dedicated his career to caring for others. He had worked at the Maelor for almost 40 years and was well-loved by his colleagues, who describe him as hardworking, caring and compassionate.”

County firm makes scrubs for NHS frontline staff


Deputy Minister for Economy and Transport Lee Waters has revealed that crucial work to produce much-needed medical scrubs for the NHS is under way in Denbighshire.
Workplace Worksafe in Ruthin has 13 machinists back from furlough working on assembling scrubs and is one of three sites in Wales involved in the project.
When the Welsh Government was notified that the Far East and sub-continent would be partially closing down production at the end of March as a result of coronavirus, it took immediate action to secure a large amount of fabric from within the UK market so that it could be used to produce up to 2,500 scrubs per week in Wales.

The Welsh Government passed the fabric it has purchased straight to Alexandra, a UK based company that supplies the NHS with scrubs but is heavily reliant on overseas markets for both material and production.

As Alexandra were low on supplies, they were more than happy to take this material on.

The Welsh Government then linked Alexandra with Welsh business and social enterprises that could assist with the sewing of garments and production is now underway at three sites across Wales.

Apart from the one in Ruthin, these are Elite Clothing Solutions in Ebbw Vale and Bridwaith on Anglesey.

All their employees are now back to receiving full pay.

Deputy Minister for Economy and Transport Lee Waters, who has responsibility for the Valleys Taskforce, said: “Ensuring our healthcare heroes have the equipment they need to do their jobs at this unprecedented time is of paramount importance.

“We are working hard to supply the NHS as it provides high-quality care for people with coronavirus, and we will continue to do so.

“We have also been able to foster an opportunity to secure supply of much needed material and join together three Welsh enterprises to join us in fighting this national health crisis.

“Together, we will continue to protect frontline staff and in turn help them save lives.”



Llan music teacher plays in virtual orchestra performance



* The virtual orchestra in action.

A music teacher from Llangollen joined around of her counterparts from the UK and around the world for a unique online performance of a song aimed at lifting people’s spirits during lockdown.

Elan Mair Roberts, who runs two Flintshire youth choirs and has been musical director of countless smash-hit amateur productions around north Wales, joined in the virtual orchestral session playing her violin on Elbow’s One Day Like This.

It went out on Facebook at Easter and was repeated on ITV news a few days later.


* Elan Mair Roberts played her part.


* Music teacher Joe Austin whose idea the virtual orchestra was.  

She explained: “The man who organised it, Joe Austin, is a music teacher at The Priory School in Shrewsbury and is originally from Ellesmere in Shropshire.

“We first met when we worked together on a show three or four years ago.

“The way it worked is that he pre-recorded himself playing the drums and then we all in turn sent in our video and audio recordings from which he put it all together.

“People from as far away as Hong Kong joined in on it.”

Elen has been a peripatetic music teacher for just over 28 years, specialising in strings, piano and vocal training.

She runs both the Flintshire County Junior Choir and County Youth Choir and recently toured Tuscany with them.

Elen also formed a partnership to run a memory choir as part of the NHS mental health campaign and was recently nominated for a Betsi Cadwalader award for services to patient wellbeing through song.

On the local amateur stage scene she has been at various times musical director for Llangollen Operatic Society’s junior section the Young ‘Uns and also for the main society with their award-winning productions of Sister Act, The Producers and 9 to 5, which was nominated for an amateur stage “Oscar”. 

Apart from this Elen has been musical director for the Moreton Hall School productions of Grease, Little Shop of Horrors, School of Rock, The Addams Family and Chicago.

On top of this she formed Llangollen Youth Choir, and was also in charge of music for Llangollen's show choir Stage2Stage.

Local coronavirus update - Thursday


* Old Vicarage care home staff with their masks.

The Old Vicarage care home posted a thank you to the person who made them some protective masks.
 
It said: “ANOTHER thank you to Charlie for making us washable bags for our uniforms! What a star.
 
“It means so much at this time to know that people are thinking of us and helping us to keep people as safe as we possibly can - both the team and the people who live at our home!”
 
Carie Mason‎, who works at Wrexham Maelor Hospital, posted yesterday evening: “Tomorrow I am taking 60 scrub bags and 20+ headbands to Wrexham Maelor Hospital. 12 bags made by Anne Taylor, 8 made by Sue Harris and 40 by me. Also Mary Roberts made the headbands. Thank you ladies. My colleagues will really appreciate the ti.e that has been made to make all these things. Keep safe everyone.”
 

Sean Anderson took to Facebook yesterday to thank a local store for how its staff were handling the lockdown.
 
He posted: “I don’t usually do these things but I was astounded by the fantastic customer service I received the other day in Llangollen Spar. All the staff were being extremely professional following all the guide lines whilst also being very friendly and polite still. I’ve gone into other stores where it feels slightly intimidating at the moment but which is completely understandable but in the Spar they were fantastic. 

"I left the shop and one of my bags ripped because I stupidly filled it to much. My milk and eggs fell out and smashed on the floor. One of the staff members came immediately out the shop asked if I was okay and replaced my items and the bag with no charge. Even though during this time they could have easily avoided any form of close contact (even though none of us came in contact) but they didn’t turn away. Thank you very much!”
 
 
Plas Newydd posted about things to do in lockdown, and it said: “While Plas Newydd is closed, here are a few activities to keep you busy in your home, inspired by the ladies favourites. We would love to see what you create so share them or tag #plasnewydd to be included on our page. Stay home and stay safe!”
 

Chirk town councillor Gareth Baines has launched an initiative to help frontline NHS staff which will be of interest to Llangollen people.
 
He posted on Facebook yesterday: “Weʼre raising money to pay for the staff at Wrexham Maelor Hospital and Chirk Hospital to have a celebration once the COVID19 pandemic is over. Please give if you can, or share. https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/gareth-baines…
 

The Denbighshire Free Press carried a story yesterday about a clinic run by a mother-of-two from Llangollen which is offering free support to people suffering with skin damage during the Coronavirus lockdown.

Sara Cheeney (pictured above), owner of Pure Perfection Clinic in Rossett, near Wrexham, is helping to combat the problem by posting regular video tutorials and information on social media.

Wednesday, April 15, 2020

No plans to open schools before end of summer term

The Denbighshire Free Press is reporting this afternoon that there are no plans to reopen schools in Wales before the end of the summer term, the country's education minister has said.
Kirsty Williams said, though no timetable to resume statutory education had been drawn up, continuing social distancing measures meant it would "not be business as usual" for pupils and staff when they eventually do return.

Public Health Wales update - Wednesday

Public Health Wales statement on Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak

This statement will be updated daily at 2pm
Updated: 2:00pm Wednesday 15 April
Dr Giri Shankar, Incident Director for the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak response at Public Health Wales, said:
“272 new cases have tested positive for Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) in Wales, bringing the total number of confirmed cases to 6,118, although the true number of cases is likely to be higher. 
“60 further deaths have been reported to us of people who had tested positive for Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19), taking the number of deaths in Wales to 463.
“We offer our condolences to families and friends affected, and we ask those reporting on the situation to respect patient confidentiality.
“We are aware that the number of deaths reported today is regrettably much higher than yesterday, however it is worth noting that day-to-day fluctuations are to be expected.”
“All available data relating to Coronavirus in Wales is now available on a new user-friendly data dashboard, which is available on the Public Health Wales website.
“From tomorrow, confirmed case numbers and deaths will be available to view in the dashboard only, with the daily statement focusing on key public health information and updates.
“We are encouraging everyone to download the Covid-19 Symptom Tracker app, which has been supported by Welsh Government. The app allows users to log daily symptoms to help build a clearer picture of how the virus is affecting people. For more information, including how to download the app, visit covid.joinzoe.com.
“Public Health Wales is working to address the negative impact of COVID-19 on the social, mental and physical wellbeing of people in Wales. The new ‘How are you doing?’ campaign is now live and offering practical advice from phw.nhs.wales/howareyoudoing.
“The Deloitte testing facility at Cardiff City Stadium continues to operate to full capacity and provides a means for testing key workers.
“Public Health Wales is working in partnership with the Welsh Government and the Welsh Blood Service to explore the use of convalescent plasma from people who have recovered from Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19).
“Plasma from patients who have recovered from Coronavirus will contain antibodies that their immune systems have produced to fight the virus which can be transfused to patients whose immune systems are struggling to develop their own antibodies.
“The initiative is at an early stage and we will be inviting eligible individuals by direct approach only at this stage.
“Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) is now circulating in every part of Wales. The single most important action we can all take in fighting Coronavirus is to stay at home in order to protect the NHS, and save lives.
“We want to thank each and every person across Wales for doing their bit to help slow the spread of the virus. 
“We know that staying at home can be hard especially when the weather is nice, but members of the public must adhere to social distancing rules about staying at home, and away from others, introduced by the UK and Welsh Government.  These rules are available on the Public Health Wales website.
“People no longer need to contact NHS 111 if they think they may have contracted Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19).  Information about the symptoms to look out for is available on the Public Health Wales website, or members of the public can use the NHS Wales symptom checker.
“Anyone with a suspected coronavirus illness should not go to a GP surgery, pharmacy or hospital.  They should only contact NHS 111 if they feel they cannot cope with their symptoms at home, their condition gets worse, or their symptoms do not get better after seven days.
“Only call 999 if you are experiencing a life-threatening emergency, do not call 999 just because you are on hold to 111.  We appreciate that 111 lines are busy, but you will get through after a wait.
“The public play a very important role in slowing the spread of infection. By strictly following the latest measures, you will protect yourself, protect the most vulnerable and help to reduce the pressure on NHS Wales and minimise the impact of the virus.”