The ITV news website is reporting that four supermarkets are to cut the price of petrol from tomorrow.
See the full story at http://www.itv.com/news/update/2013-04-15/four-supermarkets-reduce-petrol-prices-from-tomorrow/
Latest events and comments from the town of Llangollen in Denbighshire, North Wales, UK. EMAIL: llanblogger@gmail.com
Get in touch ...
Know of something happening in
Llangollen? Tweet
us on @llanblogger
E-mail your contributions to: llanblogger@gmail.com
We are on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/pages/llanbloggercouk/139122552895186
Llangollen? Tweet
us on @llanblogger
E-mail your contributions to: llanblogger@gmail.com
We are on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/pages/llanbloggercouk/139122552895186
Monday, April 15, 2013
Sunday, April 14, 2013
New Llan community book previews at museum
* Guests at the book preview in Llangollen Museum where the exhibition
continues until May 3.
Around 30 local people - many of them featuring in it - were at the town's museum on Friday evening for the preview of a new book recording images of everyday life in Llangollen.
The book, entitled Llangollen Community, includes stunningly atmospheric pictures of about 100 groups and organisations based in the area.
The glossy 144-page work is the brainchild of local man Simon Collinge who has directed the project while Llangollen-based cameraman Andrew Gale has taken the pictures.
They have been working steadily away since late last year and the pictures have all been taken in the muted style of Old Masters painters such as Rembrandt and Frans Hals.
Simon said: “We have produced the book as we felt it was about time that a documented pictorial history of these groups was recorded for posterity – it also seemed rather a fun idea.”
He and Andrew thought originally that there would be about 50 groups from the area needing to be photographed but the final tally was over 100 groups, societies and organisations.
These included outfits as diverse as Llangollen Silver Band and the Christmas Festival Committee.
Simon added: “The book is now back from the printers - all on schedule for revised launch date of Thursday, April 25 at Llangollen Town Hall, starting at 7.30pm.
“We’ve invited Courtyard Books, Llangollen Library and the museum to bring along copies of their local Llangollen history books to make this a literary evening to remember.”
Selected images from the book are on exhibition at Llangollen Museum until May 3.
For more information on the book, see http://llangollencommunity.co.uk
Saturday, April 13, 2013
Town's Cittaslow bid on track
* Tessa Holland talks to Gill Thomas at the Country Market in Llangollen Town Hall.
PhD student Tessa Holland from Newcastle University came to town on Friday to meet some of the Cittaslow bid team and look around the town.
Tessa's research is focusing on how the various Cittaslow towns in the UK network with each other, learn from each other and from the global Cittaslow movement.
She's only just started her research and is visiting existing Cittaslow towns, to get a sense of what they are doing.
She is interested in Llangollen as a town that is just starting out on the Cittaslow process.
Bid group leader Phil Thane showed Tessa around town and introduced her to several team members.
Llangollen's Cittaslow group is on track to complete the application process by June.
Friday, April 12, 2013
Labour team hit out over welfare changes
Local Labour duo Ken Skates and Susan Elan Jones have hit out at the UK Government after new figures revealed that welfare changes will cost working age people in Denbighshire £589 a year.
The research produced for the Financial Times also highlights that welfare cuts will cost the Denbighshire economy £34m a year.
The pair said the figures were shocking and highlighted the devastating impact benefit reform would have on communities in North East Wales over the next few years.
Clwyd South MP Ms Jones said: “These punitive welfare cuts will only serve to increase the inequality gap in our communities and will have a devastating effect on businesses and local jobs.
“The Government is hurting the communities I represent in Clwyd South where one in 20 economically active people is now unemployed. My constituents are paying the price for the Tories incompetent handling of the economy over the last few years.
“These changes will take £34m out of the Denbighshire economy each year, sucking out much needed demand for local businesses at a time when they need it most.
“It’s economic illiteracy from the government because the cuts mean less money in the local economy, only pushing the recovery further away. Just as with the VAT rise, it will be another blow for small and medium sized businesses in our area.”
Clwyd South AM Ken Skates said: “The changes will cost the average working age adult in Denbighshire £589 and will have a catastrophic impact on families already struggling to make ends meet.”
“These figures are a sobering reminder of the how uncaring and unaware the UK Government are about the devastation welfare reform will have on our already vulnerable communities.
“The figures show that the changes are hitting everyone in Denbighshire, working families, those on unemployment benefits, the disabled, and children. The only people not getting battered by this Tory Lib Dem coalition government are the millionaires who are just seeing their top rate tax cut kick in.
“This isn’t my idea of fairness.”
According to the research, the financial loss per working age adult, by local authority:
- Bleanau Gwent £698
- Bridgend £599
- Caerphilly £644
- Cardiff £477
- Carmarthenshire £579
- Ceredigion £432
- Conwy £558
- Denbighshire £589
- Flintshire £458
- Gwynedd £438
- Isle of Anglesey £511
- Merthyr Tydfil £722
- Monmouthshire £393
- Neath Port Talbot £696
- Newport £560
- Pembrokeshire £539
- Powys £433
- Rhondda Cynon Taf £668
- Swansea £559
- Torfaen £589
- Vale of Glamorgan £473
- Wrexham £511
Health board's £1.5M mental health investment
The Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board is investing nearly £1.5million over five years in Counselling services for people with common mental health problems.
The service, known as ‘Parabl’, which means ‘to talk or discuss’ in Welsh, became operational on 2nd April, 2013.
The service is being managed by CAIS on behalf of a consortium of North Wales charities. Partners include Advance Brighter Futures, Flintshire Mind, Aberconwy Mind, CAIS, Tan y Maen, Ynys Mon and Gwynedd Mind, Vale of Clwyd Mind and Relate.
Referral to the service can be through a health professional, such as a GP, or individuals may refer themselves by telephone. Once a referral is received a telephone assessment is carried out to establish the most appropriate support for that individual. Support ranges from self-help resources, one-to-one counselling, through to group sessions, available in Community settings such as GP practices, leisure centres and community centres throughout North Wales.
Wyn Thomas, Assistant Director, Community Partnership Development for Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board, said “We are pleased to be working with partners to offer such a comprehensive service for people throughout North Wales. The Parabl Talking Therapies is a service to meet the needs of adults over the age of 18, who are resident in North Wales. The service is aimed at people with common mental health problems, including bereavement and relationship difficulties.”
“As well as providing self-help resources, including an interactive self-help programme called the Serenity Computerised Cognitive Behavioural Therapy programme, group sessions are available over 7-8 weeks to cover such subjects as Coping with Life, Stress Management and Mindfulness. Up to 6 weekly sessions of individual counselling sessions are also available for individuals who want to discuss any challenging life events which are impacting on their mental well being.”
Self-referrals can be made by telephoning 0300 777 2257.
Support Buy Local day today
Don't forget that today (Friday, April 12) is Llangollen's latest Buy Local Day ...
Support your local shops.
Loco restoration is a family affair
* The Hymas family group with No.72 at Llangollen.
* The engine on arrival at Carrog later.
James Hymas, 42, was joined by his partner Bobby and their eight-week-old baby son, Tristram, and father Dick to see their other pride and joy, No.72, a six wheel saddle tank steam engine, back in operation after a nine-year personal project to restore it from scrapyard condition.
After No.72 successfully took the 1pm train from Llangollen down the Dee Valley line to Carrog and back an ecstatic James said: "That was terrific! For the engine to be able work its first ever passenger train in its entire career was worth all the time and effort involved in its restoration."
Father, Dick, who now lives in Penrhyndeudraeth, and who originally bought the engine from the scrapman at South Hetton Colliery in Northumberland in 1973, said: " It is fantastic to see the engine back in working condition. When I bought the engine it had been literally run into the ground by the National Coal Board.
"Everything possible on it was worn out and its restoration was going to be a big challenge when I took it to the Colne Valley Railway in Essex."
That challenge was taken on by his son James in 2004 when he set about rebuilding the mechanical parts, renewing the smokebox and bunker and arranging for a boiler repair.
Seeking expert help and advice he brought the kit of parts to Llangollen in 2006.
This move allowed a difficult task to be brought to a successful conclusion earlier this week when the locomotive in a smart black NCB livery as No.72 had a steam test and then ran with a service train.
James said: "The engine is the last known example of the wartime Austerity type built at the Vulcan Foundry, Newton-le-Willows in 1945, as part of an order for the British Army and was delivered to the Longmoor Military Railway in Hampshire.
"However, it was sold on to the National Coal Board for work hauling heavy coal trains in the Northumbrian coal field, a task for which it was well suited."
Dave Owen, chief engineer at Llangollen Railway, said: "No.72 is a powerful locomotive and performed well on its two trips down the line.
"It is always satisfying to see a steam locomotive come back into service after a long restoration job and we are pleased to have played a part in ensuring that the ambitions of Dick and James have been finally fulfilled here at Llangollen."
George Jones, press officer for Llangollen Railway, said: "During the trip down the line the steam train attracted the attention of two Army Air Corps helicopters on low level flying exercises.
"They came past for a close look and it seems incredible that they unwittingly acknowledged the special occasion for a former British Army locomotive!
"Their interest in the occasion was enjoyed by all."
Subscribe to:
Comments (Atom)
