Get in touch ...

Know of something happening in
Llangollen?
Tweet
us on
@llanblogger

E-mail your contributions to: llanblogger@gmail.com

We are on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/pages/llanbloggercouk/139122552895186



Thursday, August 16, 2012

BBC broadcasts live from Ysgol Dinas Bran


BBC
BBC Breakfast News was broadcasting live from Ysgol Dinas Bran in Llan this morning as the A Level results were announced.
The reporter stopped one young man as he came into shot and asked him if he was prepared to open his results envelope live on air.
The student, named Chris, seemed a little stunned but agreed to it.
When he tore open the envelope he seemed pleased with what he had achieved and declared they were “good”.
Headteacher Alison Duffy was then interviewed and described the school’s’ results as “absolutely wonderful”.
She said exam boards had this year made this year’s A Level papers harder but that Dinas Bran students had risen to the challenge and done a “fantastic” job.
She added that she and fellow staff members had been talking to parents about the results and looking at different options for what students could do with them.
Student Chris said that with his good set of results he might head for a place at Aberystwyth University.

Railway hails successful Thomas the Tank events


                                * Thomas the Tank events at Llan Railway were a success
                                                     despite other diversions.

Llangollen Railway says last week’s Thomas the Tank events it hosted were a success, despite people staying at home to watch the Olympics on TV and a weather forecast that didn’t predict much sun. 

Railway spokesman George Jones told llanblogger: “Our considered opinion is that it was a successful six days for the Day Out With Thomas event but not a record breaker in terms of attendance at Llangollen.

“It was notable that the attendance was generally from within our normal 50-mile radius catchment area with relatively few from further afield in England as we might expect in August.

“Overseas visitors were noted from Holland, Spain, France, China (Shanghai) and a Japanese family living in Germany - again less than usual at this time of year, although visitors from other European countries and North America, Australia and New Zealand were noted on other days.”

He added: “It is thought a combination of the Olympics, (was everyone supposedly watching TV?) the weather forecast (not necessarily accurate for North East Wales) and perceived lack of spending money may have impacted on the number of visitors.

“One hopes the post-Olympic period will reverse some of this trend but a journey around North West Wales last week seemed to confirm a generally depressed summer trade.”

Building on the success of last Friday when 150 Americans stopped off at the station when their cruise ship, the Carribean Princess, docked in Liverpool, the Railway welcomes a similar group of tourists tomorrow (Friday).

At around 1pm, 135 people from the Intercruises ship “Prinsendam” will arrive at the station to enjoy a trip along the line to Carrog.

This Saturday (August 18) the Railway is hosting  a special event called “Murder at the Speakeasy”.

When the joint’s popular singing star is found murdered in her dressing room things take a nasty turn for everyone present – and that includes the audience.It starts at 7pm and food is served on platform 1 at 7.15pm.

Themed dress optional and there’s a chance to win a bottle of wine for the best outfit.Tickets are £26 per person and includes food and a return journey.

Book on line at https://sales.webticketmanager.com/llangollenrailway - no booking fee for online bookings – or telephone 01978 860979. There is a £2.50 booking fee for telephone sales.


Firm's Olympic contribution praised


* Ifor Williams trailers were used at London 2012.


Clwyd South Assembly Member Ken Skates has congratulated local firm Ifor Williams Trailers - where a number of Llan people work - for their pivotal role in making the London Olympics a roaring success.
The company’s trailers, which were used throughout the Olympic venues, proved to be invaluable and without them, the events simply could not have taken place.
Mr Skates said: “I want to congratulate Ifor Williams Trailers on their first rate performance at the London Olympics.

“Their products played an essential role in making the Olympics a success and the company and its staff should be justifiably proud of their hard work.
“As is so often the case, the magnificent spectacle that we see simply would not have been possible without the hard work of so many people behind the scenes.
“Ifor Williams Trailers’ dedicated team deserve a big pat on the back for their role in making the London Olympics a success.
“I’m sure everyone involved is extremely proud to be part of such a momentous occasion, and to fly the flag for Wales.”
In all, more than 150 of the company's trailers were used directly during London 2012, and 40 flatbed trailers were used to transport materials and props during Danny Boyle's spectacular opening ceremony. The firm's trailers were also used during the closing ceremony.
Ten of their employees attended the technical rehearsal at the invitation of the organising committee of the London Olympic Games the night before the opening ceremony. As well as being impressed to see so many of our trailers, they were "blown away" by the show.

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Witnesses sought to burglary

Detectives are looking for the public to help them following a burglary in Hand Terrace, Chirk earlier this morning (Wednesday 15th August).
Shortly after 3am a man disturbed an intruder in his home resulting in him sustaining a minor injury to his leg. The victim, a local man in his 50’s, received hospital treatment, but was later released.
The intruder described as a male approximately 5ft 10 tall, of slim build and wearing dark clothing made off with a toshiba laptop and a small amount of cash.
Investigating Officer Detective Constable Clare Foreman of Wrexham CID said:  “We would like to hear from anyone who was out and about in Chirk during the early hours of this morning and saw any suspicious person or activity to contact with us on North Wales Police 101 or anonymously via Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111."

Protest group responds to AM's health service statement


Llangollen Protest, the campaign group which opposes the closure of Llan Cottage Hospital, has issued its official response to a statement on the issue from Clwyd South Assembly Member Ken Skates, published earlier today by llanblogger. 

Unedited, it reads: 

“I'm at a loss to understand Mr Skate's claim to be representing the community's views to Betsi Cadwaladr.

“At the public meeting, although he was not invited to speak, it was by very definition, public, and he had the same right of entry as everyone else.

“Had he attended, he would have been left in no doubt whatsoever what the residents' views are.

“Perhaps he would be good enough to cease negotiating with Betsi Cadwaladr until the results of the referendum are in, and then there can be no doubts.

“I am also concerned at his insistence on diminishing the importance of the Powys Fadog project as merely a Martial Arts centre.

“Perhaps he should read about the project or speak with Pol Wong before writing Constituency Updates which display so little understanding of the facts.

“I am greatly alarmed, in fact, that he should write such blatantly misleading and undeniably incorrect statements as "a damning report recently condemning the previous idea of converting it into a Shaolin martial arts centre".

“There is no such report. In fact, the idea itself, which Mr Skates disparages, has never met with anything but high praise.

“Indeed, who would, or could, condemn the idea of a community hub with childcare facilities, social facilities, Welsh language tutelage as well as proven benefits in youth training, among other good intentions?

“In the recent past, Mr Skates has also claimed to have negotiated with Sainsbury's on behalf of the community - once again without consulting a single person first.

“I would ask Mr Skates to kindly cease and desist trying to obtain benefits for the community, at least until we've found out what his idea of benefits are and whether we, the residents, would actually consider them to be of benefit to us.

“Mr Skates must be sharply reminded that he is a representative, not a delegate.”



Llangollen Protest


What a difference a few days make


This gloomy picture lookingis towards Castell Dinas Bran, taken on Wednesday morning as the rain began to fall on the town, comes in stark contrast to the ones brought to you by llanblogger last Friday showing tourists basking on the sun-soaked rocks of the Dee at Riverside Park.
The BBC forecast heavy rain to the southwest will spread across the region through the morning. This should clear northeastwards before the evening, with brighter conditions following behindheavy rain to the southwest will spread across the region through the morning. This should clear northeastwards before the evening, with brighter conditions following behindsays the rain will clear later, with further showers heading our way tomorrow (Thursday).


* Gloomy Wednesday.



                                                                   * Fantastic Friday.
                                   

Tesco "pull out of superstore plan", says report


People opposed to Sainsbury’s opening a new superstore in Llan may be interested in a story in today’s Daily Post, which says Tesco will not now be setting up shop in Llanwrst.
You can see it at: http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/2012/08/15/tesco-back-out-of-llanrwst-superstore-plans-55578-31624571/