Get in touch ...

Know of something happening in
Llangollen?
Tweet
us on
@llanblogger

E-mail your contributions to: llanblogger@gmail.com

We are on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/pages/llanbloggercouk/139122552895186



Saturday, September 26, 2026

Injured Dyfan announces plans for his long flight home from China

The Llangollen teenager recovering from a serious road accident in China has spoken excitedly this morning (Saturday) about his long journey home to Wales, which is expected to begin next Monday.

And he speaks of a possible return to a cycling journey to Thailand with his two Westheads mates when he is fit again.

Nineteen-year-old Dyfan Hughes was hit by a truck as he along with his two friends of the same age, Louis Dennis from Garth and James Thomas from Wrexham - together known as the Westheads - were on one of the final stages of their 10,000-mile cycling trip to Thailand in memory of Tony Edge, the father of their friend Harrison, who died following a heart attack in 2024, and along the way raising over £50,000 for the British Heart Foundation.  

Dyfan was rushed to hospital in the city of Chengdu with injuries to both legs, spine, neck and scalp and just over two weeks ago had major corrective surgery lasting for many hours.

Louis and James have already flown home to Wales after staying by is bedside along with his worried parents for an anxious couple of weeks. 

And today Dyfan has taken to social media to tell his supporters that he has at last been given the all-clear to fly home to the UK and then be brought by ambulance back to Wrexham Maelor Hospital to complete his rehabilitation.

He says: "Last night, I got the call from the insurers saying the flight has been booked. This is just the best news I have heard in ages. After seven long weeks lying in this bed in China I am finally coming home on Monday.

"It's going to be such a long day of travelling as it's going to take more than 30 hours to get home. We've got to take a connecting flight into Hong Kong, and then Hong Kong to London Heathrow and then an ambulance up. But I am just going to arrive in Wrexham at some point on Tuesday.

"I'm going to be accompanied by one doctor and one nurse and they're just going to be checking on me all the time making sure everything's all right.

"And they're actually flying out to Chengdu today and they're going to come check on me in the hospital and make sure I'm all good and give me the last go-ahead to get on the plane for Monday.

"Personally, it can't come soon enough. I'm counting down the hours now.

"I can't wait to see my friends and family and get back on home soil and smash the rehab out of the park."

In the caption he adds: "It’s a long old way home but at the end we will arrive in Wrexham hospital which I am so excited for, after nearly seven and a half weeks in the Chengdu Hospital and over 420 days since I left Wales to start the cycling journey I will be going home!

"It’s definitely going to be a shock for the first couple days, but I’m sure after all the rehab is done we will be ready to go again!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.