Get in touch ...

Know of something happening in
Llangollen?
Tweet
us on
@llanblogger

E-mail your contributions to: llanblogger@gmail.com

We are on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/pages/llanbloggercouk/139122552895186



Tuesday, February 20, 2024

Dispute rages between MP and council over county's new recycling scheme

* Dr James Davies MP at Shotton Mills Ltd. 

An MP  who has been campaigning against Denbighshire's plan to scrap the blue wheelie bin, has branded it as one of the worst decisions the county council has ever made. 

But a council chief strongly has strongly defended its decision to go ahead with the scheme.

Last week, Denbighshire made public its plans to introduce a new recycling system on Monday June 3 when residents will be required to separate their ‘dry’ recycling using a new three-tier Trolleybox. This will be delivered to households before the end of May.


Vale of Clwyd MP Dr James Davies, who has met and exchanged correspondence over this topic with senior council officers and county councillors on many occasions, says he is disappointed that his views, and those of others who oppose the changes, have been ignored. 


He said: “The council has followed this path under heavy pressure from the Labour/Plaid Welsh Government to adopt its preferred model, but did not have to do so.  


“The reason given for the change has been the need to increase recycling rates, yet the 2022-23 statistics demonstrate that Denbighshire is currently achieving an impressive 65.9% recycling rate.  


"It is already performing above average for Wales, and second best out of the six councils in north Wales. Importantly, it does better than some councils which already have the model it intends to implement.


“The actual reason for the change has always been about saving money, and receiving millions in the process for setup costs from the Welsh Government. Yet the projected annual savings were always small and based on variable factors.  

"As predicted, the upfront cost of the change will have more than wiped out any savings for many years to come. Plus the £12m "sweetener" from the Welsh Government is still taxpayers' money. 


* The blue bin which is currently used in Denbighshire for recycling. 

“I consider the council's decision to ignore opposition and plough ahead regardless to be one of the worst decisions it has ever made, and to be unforgivable in the context of this year's 9.34% council tax increase.

“Following many delays and cost increases, the council now plans to introduce the new system in June 2024.  It is doing so on the basis of support from its Cabinet only - Full Council has never been given a vote on the matter.”

He added: “There are other ways in which recycling rates could be boosted while retaining the blue wheelie bin. However, Denbighshire have shown an unwillingness to reconsider or explore a range of other options or compromises.

“Limited consultation carried out by the council has been dishonest - failing to spell out the fact that the blue bin has been under threat.  There has in general been a reluctance to communicate the proposed changes to the public, in the knowledge that they would be very unpopular."

Last November 2023, Dr Davies visited Shotton Mills Ltd (SML) with Gareth Davies MS and Denbighshire Conservative councillors. This facility is the current destination of Denbighshire's kerbside waste, which it processes via a Materials Recovery Facility (MRF).

He said: “SML will need to actively encourage councils to send it paper and cardboard waste so as to allow it to fulfil its future plans for the site.  It sells sorted glass and plastic 'downstream' and can continue to do this.  As a result of the Welsh Government's policy strategy, it is now having to bring most of the waste it processes from elsewhere in the UK.

“My assessment is that SML need DCC’s paper and card waste in particular and that the proposed collection of cardboard in a bag attached to a trolleybox will be a backward step, with the material being more liable to be wet, hampering the recycling process.”

Further views on this matter can be seen on Dr Davies's campaign page at www.savethebluebin.info.

What the council says

Councillor Barry Mellor, the county council's Lead Member for the Environment and Transport, said: "We are disappointed that despite corresponding and meeting with Dr Davies on a number of occasions regarding the new waste model that he has failed to understand how important this change is for Denbighshire and the long-term benefits it will bring. 

"To be absolutely clear, our new waste service has three main benefits:

"It is better for the environment because it will increase recycling rates and the quality of recyclable materials to enable them to be made into new products;

"It will be cheaper to run that the current service, and therefore provides better value for money to Denbighshire residents; 

"It is better for the local economy because it will lead to the creation of 27 new jobs for local people. That is even without mentioning the economic benefits from the expansion of four important local businesses on the Colomendy Industrial Estate in Denbigh that this project has enabled via the project to build our new waste depot. 

“It is also disappointing that Dr Davies continues to suggest to Denbighshire residents that we can choose not to implement the new model, despite being told on many occasions that it is several years too late to change a decision that was made in December 2018 by the then Conservative/Independent coalition Cabinet. We have now almost completed a new, purpose -build depot for the new service, and we have also purchased all the new containers and vehicles."

He added: "We are 100% convinced that the new service is the right decision, and it therefore makes no sense whatsoever to change our minds now. It would also be a huge waste of taxpayers’ money if the council were to fail to proceed with the new system at this stage. This has all been explained to Dr Davies on many occasions, but he does not seem to hear that message.

"Along with other Welsh councils we are working to meet the Welsh Government’s ‘Beyond Recycling’ Strategy target of recycling 70% of all waste by 2025. Although we are currently at 66%, together with other local authority colleagues we know that we need to do more to improve this figure. Most councils in Wales already operate a system for recycling similar to the one we are introducing, including Conwy who have been using this system for several years.   

"Information about our new waste and recycling service model has been available in the public domain previously for people to view.  It is interesting that the Conservative MP is so against our new waste model when the decision to change it was made by the Conservative and Independent coalition Cabinet in 2018.  

"That decision was made following a consultation exercise where residents were asked to tell us what they liked and didn’t like about our current waste service.  The biggest message from residents was that they did not have enough room in their blue bin for all their recycling.  That is why our new weekly recycling collections will provide people with more capacity to recycle. 

"The new Trolibocs system and hessian bag for cardboard has a significantly increased capacity than the current blue bin, with space increasing from 240 litres every two weeks to 250 litres every week.  

"So not only are the new containers collectively bigger than the blue bin, but they will also be collected weekly instead of fortnightly. This expanded service will therefore enable people to recycle everything that needs to be recycled.

"Due to the way the council currently delivers the recycling collection service, i.e., all recycling in one container, it has to pay for this to be taken away and sorted. The cost of this is continuing to increase and shows no signs of stopping. As the recycling is all mixed together it isn’t possible for our staff to spot items that shouldn’t be recycled, this means that ‘contaminated’ recycling is more likely and results in the Council being fined.

"“The new ‘kerb side sort’ service will mean that the council can sort the recycling itself and remove any contamination. The benefit of the new service is that recycling levels will be higher and of a better quality, and the council can then choose to whom and where the materials are sold.

"Even with the additional collections and the increased number of staff, the new service will be cheaper to run than the existing model, and more importantly it will be better for the environment.

“The council has launched a campaign to inform residents of the go live date for the new service using available media channels, and information will continue to be provided to support communities over the coming months. 

"Delivery of the new containers will start from February 23 and a comprehensive information pack explaining how the new system works will be in the top box of the Trolibocs or in the hessian bag for cardboard for those residents on the bag service.”

Young 'Uns create a stylishly brilliant Oliver!


* Trouble in the workhouse: Oliver is taken in hand by Aled Morris as Mr Bumble and Leri Roberts as Widow Corney. 

llanblogger preview 

Llangollen Operatic Society’s Young ‘Uns have created a stylishly brilliant version of the musical Oliver! with its rich with gripping Dickensian drama and timeless Lionel Bart tunes bringing the Town Hall stage to rich, vivid life.

Production values are sky-high and include atmospheric sets and dazzling costumes.

And one of the best-ever casts from the Operatic’s formidable junior section transport the audience faultlessly along the road from a grim country workhouse to the dank crime dens of old London town, singing, dancing and acting their way with a competence and confidence that defies their tender years.

Bringing just the right level of vulnerability and mum appeal to the title role of the orphan who temporarily loses his way is Dylan Harrison, backed strongly by stand-out performances from Freya Mortimer as worldwise and swaggering crime pupil the Artful Dodger and Kelsey Thornton as wily old thief-master Fagin, who is at once scary and playfully deceitful.


* Oliver meets up with Freya Mortimer as the Artful Dodger.

Bringing a touch of real menace to his role as murderous robber Bill Sikes is Freddie Thornton and Sam Gonzalez Jones makes a marvellously caring Mr Brownlow, the old gentleman who rescues poor little Oliver from his misery.

The awful Mrs Sowerberry is played with a healthy level of obnoxiousness by Sophie Siddall and the undertaker himself, to whom Oliver is palmed off by wonderfully horrible Aled Morris as workhouse beadle Mr Bumble, is portrayed with a marvellously funereal touch by Sam Gonzales Jones.

A very spiteful Noah Claypole is turned in well by Edie Langford while Charlotte, the undertaker’s daughter, is brought nastily to life by Grug Bryan. Back at the workhouse Leri Roberts is a deliciously vile Widow Corney.

True plaudits must go to Heledd Edwards in her final Youg ‘Uns appearance before moving beyond its age-range. She plays the poor, put-upon robber’s moll Nancy with just the right balance of brassiness and big heart and, of course, that fine and poignant singing voice.

* Fagin (Kelsey Thornton) compares swag with Bill Sikes (Freddie Thornton).

Helping to move along the unforgettable songs, from Food Glorious Food through Consider Yourself and I’m Reviewing the Situation to Where Is Love and Oom Pah Pah, is an accomplished nine-piece orchestra.

Chorus members show true exuberance in the dance routines, strong musical ability when backing the songs and when acting out their parts as both the downtrodden workhouse children and Fagin’s motley gang.   

Also, it’s big applause for the production team of Robin Crowley (artistic director), Julian Cattley (musical director) Pamela Williams (producer), Deirdre Smith (assistant producer) and Sarah Marshal (choreographer).

Oliver! runs from this Thursday to Saturday, February 22-24, at 7.30pm, with a 2pm matinee on the last day.

* Tickets are available from www.ticketsource.co.uk/llangollenoperaticsociety or Llangollen Tourist Information, Jades Hair and Beauty, Llangollen Oggie Shop & Fine Foods.


* It's a Fine Life: Nancy kicks up her heels with the cast in the robber's den.       

   

 

Monday, February 19, 2024

Hand Hotel up for sale at £1.9 million, says story


* The Hand Hotel pictured on Rightmove.

The Daily Post is reporting that the Hand Hotel in Llangollen is on sale for £1.9m. 

The Hand has 58 individual en-suite bedrooms, a public bar and restaurant and conference and banqueting facilities.

According to the Rightmove website, the hotel - marketed by Graham & Sibbald - also has a "fabulous outside bar with decked seating area overlooking the River Dee, with a range of outbuildings with development potential", says the story.

* For the full story, see:The 58-bedroom hotel overlooking the River Dee on sale for £1.9m - North Wales Live (dailypost.co.uk)

Former mayor complains to Minister about 'horrendous problems" with NHS


* Waiting list complaints: former town mayor and county councillor Stuart Davies.

A former Llangollen mayor has written to the Health Minister and both candidates in the race to become Wales’s new First Minister outlining the “horrendous problem” he faces in attempting to access NHS services in a timely manner. 

Stuart Davies, who is also a former county councillor for the area, tells Minister Eluned Morgan and leadership contenders Vaughan Gething and Jeremy Miles that he has had a 22-week wait for an echo cardiogram, a five-month wait for a hearing test and cancelled prostate cancer consultations. 

And he points out: “I write to you not as a patient attempting to get treatment just for me but as someone trying to get equitable treatment for all.” 

Mr Davies goes on to detail his problems with NHS waits:

* Problem One: During an examination the local GP practice picked up a shortage of breath, which is a problem as he suffers from paroxysmal atrial fibrillation The details were passed along the health service chain. This resulted in another examination but an eventual 22-week wait for further investigation and scan.

While on holiday in Portugal he sought help from a private clinic and eventually paid to have the scan, which was arranged within a few days. This reassured him he didn’t have heart failure and that the shortage of breath was due to his existing condition.

* Problem Two: Describing a problem with a hearing test, he says: “I am pretty deaf, almost totally in my left ear. I had a hearing aid fitted years ago. The tube went bad a while back. I phoned up to try and get a new one.

“I was told it was obsolete but to come in for a hearing test and a new one. I was also told there was a five-month waiting list.”

Problem Three: He says: “This morning the post arrived. I suffer from long term prostate cancer. I have six month check-ups by phone along with a PSA test. My upcoming consultation has been cancelled. It’s not the first time."

And he tells the Minister and the leadership candidates: "We are facing horrendous problems here in attempting to access Welsh NHS services in a timely manner.

“What is going on with the Welsh NHS and the Betsi Cadwalader University Health Board?

“The system is broken, the word on the street is that the Welsh NHS is broken. What are you going to do to address these issues please?”

Sunday, February 18, 2024

Park runners dash to make donations to Llangollen Food Share

* Some of the donations made to Llangollen Food Share by park runners.

People taking past in yesterday's park run from the Health Centre were invited to bring along donations for Llangollen Food Share (LFS). 

And a run organiser said: "Steph from LFS tells me they were pleased with a successful morning."


* The food share team at the park run.



* Another busy park run Saturday morning.

Latest local roadworks alerts


Latest local roadworks alert from one.network is:

Aber Adda, Llangollen, Denbighshire


19 February - 05 April

Roadworks, Delays unlikely

Traffic management: Traffic control (give & take)

Description: REPLACE 102M OF OLD METALLIC GAS MAINS WITH NEW PLASTIC MAINS AND RENEW/TRANSFER APPROX. 14 SERVICE

Works location: O/S NO. 1 - REAR NO. 12

Public facing description: Wales & West Utilities Ltd has not assigned a specific description to this Works. Please note: Works Descriptions are not published by Wales & West Utilities Ltd.

Responsibility for works: Wales & West Utilities

Current status: Advanced planning

Works reference: XY254003001625597



* Latest roadworks alert from Denbighshire County Council is:

Outside The Corn Mill Dee Lane Llangollen CLYWD LL20 8PN DEE LANE 01/03/2024 01/03/2024 Gwaith ar Wasanaeth Uwchben/ Overhead Service Works SUNBELT RENTALS (DCC) LLANGOLLEN Ffordd ar Gau/Road Closure.


Saturday, February 17, 2024

Town's Royal British Legion branch celebrates its 100th birthday

* The parade crosses Castle Street to head down Bridge Street past the war memorials.

Llangollen branch of the Royal British Legion marked its 100th birthday with a special celebration today (Saturday).

Branch members, in partnership with the town council, play a high-profile role in organising the annual Remembrance ceremonies around the war memorials in Centenary Square and also have a major role in the yearly poppy appeals.

The special event began with a parade, banners flying, through the town centre and continued with a special service of celebration in St Collen's Church. Later, there was a lunchtime gathering at the RAFA Club for branch members and guests involved in the organisation.


* Standards proudly flying, the march goes down Parade Street past the museum.

The marchers formed up outside Liberty Tavern at 11.45am to go head along Market Street and Parade Street then across Castle Street onto Bridge Street.

The parade performed an "eyes right" salute as it passed the two war memorials in Centenary Square before heading to church for the service conducted by Father Lee Taylor.


* Eyes right is ordered to salute the war memorial in Centenary Square.


* Father Lee leads the service in St Collen's.