Get in touch ...

Know of something happening in
Llangollen?
Tweet
us on
@llanblogger

E-mail your contributions to: llanblogger@gmail.com

We are on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/pages/llanbloggercouk/139122552895186



Wednesday, October 20, 2021

Town clerk back at his desk after recovering from Covid-19

* Llangollen's Town Clerk, Gareth Thomas.

Llangollen's Town Clerk is back at his desk after recovering from coronavirus. 

Commenting on his experience Gareth Thomas said: “It was certainly something that I would not wish to experience again, and I urge individuals to take care as the winter approaches. 

"I had been doubly vaccinated and yet still managed to catch Covid which resulted in a short period in hospital. 

"Things can change so rapidly, and everybody should be cautious."

Mr Thomas said he would like to thank all those local people who had contacted him expressing their best wishes for a speedy recovery, which was "much appreciated".

Turning to work matters, the Town Clerk confirmed that no problems had been encountered during his period of absence and this, he said, was largely due to the close working relationship he has with the Town Hall Facilities Officer, Charlie Jones, who stepped in to make sure that activities in the pipeline were implement effectively.

He added: "The large projects referred to by Cllr  Palmer in his press statement of September 28 are still pressing ahead. 

"The highways work on Castle Street is a project being driven by the county council, and therefore was not affected and is continuing apace.

"Work continues, on schedule, to the roof of the Town Hall. The scaffolding will be completely erected by the end of this week and the main contractor, Grosvenor Construction, will provide temporary protection to ensure weather shielding to the interior spaces.  

"Works to repair the clock tower are due to be completed by November 8 and the remaining roofing and rainwater goods by December 2. 

"Last but not least, the ceiling repairs will make the most of a lull in use of the auditorium to be completed by December 15."

Mr Thomas went on: "Preparations for Remembrance 2021 are in place and the Town Council will hold the Annual Remembrance Sunday Service on November 14 on Centenary Square.  

"As usual the parade will muster on Market Street at 10.30am and the Service of Remembrance will start at 10.45am.

"In the days leading up to that Sunday there will be a short Act of Remembrance at the War Memorials at 10.45am on Armistice Day organised by the Royal British Legion.

"In a departure from previous years individuals or organisations requiring a wreath for the service on the Sunday are asked to call into the Council Chamber between the hours of 10 and 12noon, then 4pm and 6pm on Wednesday and Thursday, November 10 and 11 and between 2pm and 4pm on Friday November 12.

"Wreaths will be available for purchase at a cost of £20 and it is important that a cheque, payable to the Royal British Legion, or cash to cover the cost is presented on collection to ensure that the Royal British Legion maximises the amount it raises locally."

Tuesday, October 19, 2021

MS welcomes vision for future of Welsh economy


* Clwyd South MS Ken Skates.

Member of the Senedd for Clwyd South, Ken Skates, has welcomed the Minister for Economy’s vision for the future, which focuses on better jobs, narrowing the skills divide, and tackling poverty. 

At a hybrid Economic Summit, attended by businesses, trades unions and local government leaders, Welsh Labour’s Minister for Economy, Vaughan Gething, discussed how Wales can create a stronger, fairer, and greener economic future. 

The Minister committed to extending the ‘Team Wales’ model to offer ‘as much certainty as possible’ for businesses facing a volatile recovery.

He also promised a new era of partnership to strengthen regional economic development, a delivery plan to back the everyday economy, and wide-ranging support for workers in a fast-changing economy.

He said the Welsh Labour Government will work with unions and businesses to develop its ‘something for something’ approach so that Welsh public money is wedded to action on fair work, decarbonisation, and skills.

Mr Gething  also started a conversation about the long-term demographic challenge facing the Welsh economy. 

The proportion of the population aged 16 to 64 years old in Wales has been decreasing year-on-year since mid-2008 – and could be just 58% of the population by 2043. 

In response, the Minister said the approach taken by Welsh Labour’s Ministers will be geared towards creating an economy where more young people feel confident about planning their future in Wales, supporting job creation and more dynamic local economies. 

Welcoming the vision, Member of the Senedd for Clwyd South, Ken Skates MS, said:“Welsh Labour in Government is taking the bold action required to build a stronger, fairer, and greener Wales for us all. The last 18 months have been extremely difficult for us all, but by coming together we have kept Wales safe, and now the Welsh Labour Government wants to deliver a ‘Team Wales’ recovery, built by all of us.

“Our strong Welsh recovery will rightly be based on the principles of fair work and sustainability as the Welsh Government invests in the industries and services of the future. 

“A new era of partnership for stronger regions, a young person’s guarantee, a plan to back our everyday economy and collaboration with world leading, advanced manufacturing is exactly the focus we need as we move forward.”

Llan man's 650-mile bike ride for homeless veterans


* Gary Perriton with his bike before the big ride.

A cyclist from Llangollen has embarked on a 650-mile solo bike ride to raise funds and awareness of homeless veterans.

* For the full story in the Denbighshire Free Press, published before he left, see: https://www.denbighshirefreepress.co.uk/news/19648180.armed-forces-veteran-embarks-gruelling-650-mile-solo-bike-ride/

Grants available to support dementia awareness projects

Denbighshire Voluntary Services Council (DVSC) has launched a new round of Dementia Aware Denbighshire Funding.

A total of £10,000 is available to support activities and initiatives spreading dementia awareness throughout the county. 

The grant, which has been enabled by funding from the Welsh Government Integrated Care Fund, will give voluntary and community groups, Third Sector organisations, social enterprises and small businesses with less than 100 employees who operate in Denbighshire the chance to apply for up to £2,000.

Individuals can also apply for grants up to £250. 

Grants are available for events, activities and training sessions, which can raise awareness about dementia and encourage people to turn awareness into action and improvement in their communities. 

 “We are looking forward to learn about new initiatives here in Denbighshire that can help support individuals and families living with Dementia," explained Rebecca Bowcott, DVSC Community Wellbeing Officer."

DVSC is operating a rapid grant decision-making process with applications being considered on a rolling basis until funds are disbursed. 

If you want advice and guidance, contact DVSC’s bilingual Community Support team member, Rhys@dvsc.co.uk or call him on 01824 702 441.

Monday, October 18, 2021

Plas Newydd hosts successful family picnic


* Picnic people enjoy the day.


* An artistic touch.

* Having fun with bubbles.


* Harley the Clown entertains. 

Plas Newydd hosted a family picnic on a recent Saturday. 

The event was organised by Cllr Austin Cheminais, the current Mayor of Llangollen  and Paul Evans, manager at Plas Newydd. 

The picnic was aimed at local families and was advertised with help of Llangollen’s two primary schools.

One parent commented: “It’s great to have something that’s been put on just for local families to get together.”

There was music from Llangollen’s own Wandering Minstrel, Chris Burton, and Harley the Clown entertained the audience with his magic and juggling.

The  picnic was well attended and there was overwhelming support for it to become and regular event.

Another parent said: “What an fantastic idea and a wonderful afternoon for both children and their parents, let’s do it again!”

Kate Thomson from the Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB) brought along a camera obscura and some easels for the children to use, which proved very popular. 

Kate is currently part of the Picturesque Landscapes Project, which centres on the landscape of the Dee Valley, the Pontcysyllte Aqueduct and Canal World Heritage Site.

Cllr Cheminais said: “The afternoon was a great success and both children and adults enjoyed themselves, I’d like to thank Paul Evans and his staff for their support and enthusiasm. Look out for our next picnic in 2022!”

Sunday, October 17, 2021

Visitors flock to bitesized food festival's opening day




Visitors flocked to the first day of Llangollen's "bite-sized" food festival yesterday.

A scaled-down version of the famous foodie gathering is being staged in the yard behind Gales Wine Bar as the usual full-sized affair would not be possible due to coronavirus restrictions at the Pavilion.

Exhibits ranged from designer chocolate to cheese and from artisan coffee to gin.

Today's line-up of exhibitors includes:

Gales Wine Bar, Steve’s Cheese, Mug Run (coffee), Angel Feathers (flavoured gin), Aballu (chocolate), Powell’s Pies, Goetre Farm Preserves, Ellesmere Honey Company (won a gold star for their honey at this year’s Great Taste Awards), Stone Circle Mead, Celtic Spirit, Little Fudge Box and Yellow Bicycle Cake Company.

One of the festival organisers Phil Gale said of yesterday's first day: "I'm very proud of the team in keeping the festival vibe alive.

"It's great to see local producers and merchants showcase their goods.

"Best of all it's great to see so many faces we have been missing for a while.

"We hope to see more today."

Saturday, October 16, 2021

Llan man's warm praise for NHS team

* Mike Edwards before his illness.

A Llangollen man has praised a dedicated NHS team for the care they gave him when he fell seriously ill recently.

Mike Edwards says he wants to thank the Surgical Assessment Unit (SAU) at Wrexham Maelor Hospital's Glyndwr Ward "from the bottom of my heart" for the way they looked after him through a "horrible and difficult time". 

Mike contacted llanblogger to say: "On September 28 I was taken ill and my condition worsened by the following day - my birthday, would you believe. 

"We were fortunate to get a GP Trainer from Llangollen Health Centre to do a home visit and after examination she dispatched me to the hospital using the GP referral service. 

"My wife Lis took me to the hospital where again we were fortunate to get through A&E waiting relatively quickly to be triaged when I was admitted to the Surgical Assessment Unit, Glyndwr Ward.

"An X-ray and scan followed, the latter in the middle of the evening, and as a result early the following morning I was operated on for a perforated appendix. 

"Due to complications with a chest infection after surgery I remained in hospital until the following Tuesday morning and I am now convalescing at home.

"What I want to do is pay tribute to the staff of SAU. Firstly to the Consultant, Mr Ben-Sassi, and his team who were highly professional and extremely caring and they got me through a horrible and difficult time. 

"Secondly to the staff on SAU Glyndwr particularly Jo, Sue and Shannon who cared for me and the other patients on the ward at the time often in difficult circumstances.

"The whole team on the ward were brilliant and I have to say I learnt that all angels do not wear wings. 

"The staff of the NHS often do not get the credit they deserve and even get unfair criticism from certain quarters of the media. 

"These ladies and gentlemen work thirteen-hour shifts day after day and I have enormous respect for them and wish to thank them from the bottom of my heart."