Get in touch ...

Know of something happening in
Llangollen?
Tweet
us on
@llanblogger

E-mail your contributions to: llanblogger@gmail.com

We are on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/pages/llanbloggercouk/139122552895186



Monday, April 20, 2020

Appeal goes on to help Llangollen Railway survive lockdown



* A Llangollen Railway steam train carves its way through the 
Dee Valley in better days.

Around £12,000 has so far been raised by an appeal to help Llangollen Railway survive the enforced coronavirus lockdown.

Railway bosses have warned that the loss of revenue since the heritage line was closed on March 23 in line with government guidance could mean it might be unable to survive.

Since then hundreds of supporters have rallied to its aid and have so far donated about £12,000.

Of this almost £11,000 has come from an online appeal.

Normally the railway would just have had a bumper Easter weekend with two trains operating an hourly service between Llangollen and Carrog.

And last weekend should have been the Thomas the Tank event, which is another large earner.

Instead, all is quiet along the line of the only standard gauge heritage railway in North Wales.

All stations are closed and trains are in the depots, the full time staff laid-off, with volunteers staying at home along with the visitors.

A direct appeal for financial help was recently made on Facebook by railway general manager Liz McGuinness in which she said: “Forty-five years of endeavour in rebuilding the railway as a tourist attraction is under threat.

“Yes, the railway is closed and may never reopen its doors if we don’t receive enough donations or grant funding. We are extremely grateful for the donations we have received so far and they are helping to keep us alive for now.

“As a major attraction in the Dee Valley, Llangollen Railway puts approximately £8.5 million in to the local economy every year and to lose that would be a massive negative to all the town's businesses and the surrounding area which benefits from visitors to the local stations and access to the Dee Valley Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. 

“In appealing for help from our many supporters I say we cannot let this beautiful heritage railway die.

“We support too many businesses and jobs in the area to let that happen but help is needed if we are to see the way through this difficult period."

Llangollen Railway’s Facebook page has many comments in support of the railway and concern for its future as well as some criticism as to why a volunteer operation needs cash when UK government support is available.

Railway operations manager Paul Reynolds said: “Unfortunately there is a severe gulf between what Mr Sunak in London and Mr Drakeford in Cardiff announce and its processing out in ‘the wild’.

“Approximately 300,000 applications have been made for business support and only about 10,000 have been processed.

“Sitting in the pending tray of a bank or government department still does not pay the bills when your major source of income, namely train ticket sales, has been cut off and is likely to remain so for at least the next three weeks - or more. 

"Goods and services purchased over the last couple of months are now being invoiced – usually 30 days and possibly 60 days depending on your credit standing with your supplier – and payment is expected.

“Unless our railway can find an independent source of income, such as donations,  to cover the lost revenue it is unlikely to survive, at least in its current form.

“It brings no comfort to know that the greater portion of the heritage rail Industry is facing the same problems.

“All the narrow gauge lines in north-west and mid-Wales face a similar plight of course with varying degrees of support for their individual situations. Loss of any or all of these attractions would be a major disaster for Wales tourism.”


Saturday, April 18, 2020

Old Vicarage gets lit up to salute carers and frontline workers


* The Old Vicarage care home lit up in rainbow colours.

The Old Vicarage care home chose some enlightening ways to show its appreciation to its own team and key workers across the UK for putting their lives at risk to support vulnerable people. 

The home, which is currently under lockdown, was lit up in rainbow colours to echo the national theme of support for the NHS and care sector.

On the same night a group of its carers and volunteers dressed up and danced in rainbow lights and also made a video to try and cheer everyone up,


* The light dancers in front of the home.

And one of the oldest residents, 96-year-old Joan Fell penned a special message of hope to the world. 

Old Vicarage owner Bethan Mascarenhas said: "All this was a saluet from us to our own wonderful care team and all key workers - those who are putting their own lives at risk daily in order to support the country and those who are vulnerable. 

"We are incredibly proud of all that they are doing at this time and we wanted to show that by flooding the Vicarage in rainbow lights, as a symbol of hope. 

"All who live with us are so grateful to those working to keep them safe.

"Our resident Joan Fell wrote in her special message: "Our rainbow is a message of hope, love and determination. We’ll beat this virus yet by working together and supporting each other. So clap for the NHS, for the volunteers and all who care - we are with you, every step of the way’"



* Joan Fell, 96, and her message of hope (below).



Bethan added: "We cannot thank our team enough for all the dedication and commitment they are showing us at this time, they truly are our heroes. 

"Despite the huge amount of weight on their shoulders and consistent worry that the virus may cause devastating effects for all of us, they carry on with absolute professionalism and a smile on their faces - it’s just incredible, we are in awe of how they are handling this crisis.

"Our residents have also shown great strength and resilience, they have been so supportive of the team and of each other offering support where they can,  as have family members and the local community who run to our aid with face masks, wash bags, visors and even cakes for the staff.

"It's been a real boost for all of us to know that people are looking out for us and supporting us at this time. We will never forget the kindness shown by so many, this is a time we will always remember. 

"A group of our carers and volunteers danced in rainbow lights and made a video to try and cheer everyone up, to give a message of hope at this time - because as we know, after the storm comes a rainbow.

"We'd like to say a big thank you also to Orb Sound & Lighting for setting up the light display for us."  

Local coronavirus update - Saturday



* The tent, in the centre of the picture, said to have been set up near the castle. 

The Denbighshire Free Press reported yesterday that a couple set up a tent on the grounds of Castell Dinas Bran during the lockdown.


The Daily Post had a story yesterday saying that police were investigating after reports that a group of kids were seen coughing on the gates outside elderly residents' homes.
The incident is said to have happened in the Minffordd area of Llangollen.



* Old Vicarage staff members in their new masks. 
There was another mention on Facebook for the Old Vicarage care home and donations of PPE by the local community.

It said: A BIG thank you to Mary (Gary Rogers) for your generosity in making us these headbands, it's much more comfortable to wear our masks... and we actually look good in them.”


* Llangollen Pharmacy.
Sadye Chesworth posted a note on Facebook from the team at Llangollen Pharmacy yesterday.

It said:Thank you to all our customers at Llangollen Pharmacy during this time. Just a quick reminder that your prescriptions are waiting for collection as normal we have a large backlog of uncollected items. If you are isolating or struggling to attend the pharmacy there is an amazing community group that can help, please call mon-fri 01978 861366 or out of hours 07375374914 

Jades Hair & Beauty posted the notice below to its customers on Facebook yesterday.

* The note on Facebook from Jades Hair & Beauty.


* Plas Newydd's writing competition. 
Plas Newydd took to Facebook to launch a competition for youngsters to beat the lockdown boredom.

It said: “While we are closed, Plas Newydd would like to offer a creative way to help pass some time whilst at home. We are inviting all ages to write a story of up to 500 words on ‘The day the Ladies invited me to tea’. 
“There will be five age categories: 4 - 6, 7 - 11, 12 - 14, 15 - 18 and adult.

“When you have finished your story you can email it to: plasnewydd@denbighshire.gov.uk.

“Please include your age category, name and contact details with your entry.

“The winners of each category will be given a voucher for two people for a house tour and tea and cake in the Tea Room! Our favourite entries will be displayed in the Tea Rooms when we re-open. Good luck and enjoy the writing experience!”


Betsi Cadwaladr health board posted with some useful information about a new scheme to help visitors unable to see their relatives in hospital, which said: “We understand that it must be difficult if you have a loved one in hospital and you are unable to visit them.

“Whilst visiting times are restricted, you can now keep in-touch with friends or relatives by using our new Letter to Loved Ones service.

Friday, April 17, 2020

County boss calls on banks to support businesses during coronavirus



The leader of Denbighshire County Council has asked banks to be sympathetic to businesses struggling to get through the coronovirus crisis. 

Cllr Hugh Evans, who is also the council's lead member for the economy, said: “I welcome the support that has been provided to businesses by the public sector during this time. 

"The UK Government, Welsh Government and local authorities are helping businesses during the coronavirus outbreak.

“This action is protecting livelihoods and saving jobs in our communities.

“As leader of the council, I appreciate some businesses have fallen through the gap and are not eligible for support based on national criteria, these include the self-employed, microbusinesses, those not VAT registered and those who pay business rates through rent.

“I would like to reassure these businesses that we are working hard and lobbying ministers to ensure they are catered for as well.

“In light of the recent reduction in interest rates to an historic low, I would request banks be sympathetic and to work constructively with these businesses to provide reassurance and sustainability at this desperate time.

“I would call on them to do all they can to accommodate businesses and pass on the reduction in interest rates.

“By supporting our businesses now we can help reduce the impact of coronavirus on our economy and ensure we are protecting jobs in our community.”

MP praises county council's well-being move



Clwyd South MP Simon Baynes (pictured) has praised an ‘excellent’ initiative by Denbighshire County Council whereby vulnerable residents are contacted to check on their well-being and offer community support during the coronavirus outbreak.

Everybody receiving shielding letters from the Chief Medical Officer for Wales and living in the Denbighshire County Council area will also be called by a council officer to arrange community support or food box deliveries if required.

So far, more than 2,000 residents have been contacted and support provided has included referrals to community groups or local charities for help with, for example, advice about finances, grocery shopping or dog walking.

Simon Baynes said: “We’re all worried about our vulnerable relatives and neighbours at this difficult and uncertain time. So I’m glad Denbighshire County Council has taken the initiative to contact those who may be feeling isolated and could do with some extra help getting shopping or prescriptions delivered.

“I’d urge anyone concerned about a friend, relative or neighbour to get in touch with the Council so they can arrange a call-back as soon as possible. As ever, if someone has an issue or concern, or if there’s anything I can do to help you, please get in touch with me on simon.baynes.mp@parliament.uk.”

If you believe you fall into one of the categories of extremely vulnerable people and you have not received a letter from the Welsh Government, you should discuss your concerns with your GP or hospital clinician.

If anyone is worried about themselves or a friend, relative or neighbour they can call the council on 01824 706000 and a call-back can be arranged as soon as possible.

Aldi starts selling lockdown food parcels from today

Aldi UK is selling food parcels on its website for the first time from today (Friday) to help vulnerable people and those self-isolating.
 
The parcels will be for home delivery and contain 22 products including tinned soup, rice and pasta. Each parcel will also include antibacterial handwash and a four-pack of toilet roll.
 
The parcels are only available online at https://www.aldi.co.uk/food-parcels and will retail at £24.99 inclusive of delivery and will be limited to one per customer. The move marks the first time Aldi UK has sold groceries online.
 
This follows a number of initiatives from the supermarket aimed at helping the elderly and vulnerable. Aldi donated £250,000 to Age UK in March and has introduced reserved opening times (30 minutes before normal opening hours Monday to Saturday) for vulnerable shoppers.
 
Fritz Walleczek, Managing Director for Corporate Responsibility at Aldi said: “We are committed to providing quick, safe and affordable access to food for all our customers and understand that, for some, visiting one of our stores is not an option at the moment.
 
“We’re constantly looking for new and better ways to support our customers in these uncertain times and I’m hopeful that these food parcels will make life a little easier for some of the country’s most at-risk people.”
 
Aldi’s food parcels contain 22 products as standard:

  • Antibacterial Handwash
  • Aloe Vera Toilet Tissue 4pk
  • Choceur Milk Chocolate Bar
  • UHT Green Semi Skimmed Milk
  • Rice Pudding
  • Salted Peanuts
  • Biscuit Barrel Assortment
  • Gold Label Tea
  • Instant Coffee
  • Premium Baked Beans
  • Premium Plum Tomatoes
  • Bolognese Pasta Sauce
  • Tuna Chunks In Brine 4pack
  • Bramwells Carrot & Coriander Soup
  • Tomato Soup
  • Minestrone Soup
  • Chilli Con Carne
  • Basmati Rice 1kg
  • Fusilli
  • Part Baked Brown Roll
  • Sliced Carrots
  • 4 Pack Sweetcorn

Local cornavirus update - Friday


* Despite self-isolating town crier Chem was outside his home ringing
his famous bell to announce his message.   

Llangollen’s town crier, Austin “Chem” Cheminais, boomed out the second of his weekly messages of support for NHS and other key workers across the town at 8pm last night.

He did it courtesy of a bank of loudspeakers set up on the eisteddfod field up by the team from Llangollen-based Orb Sound and Lighting.

The message, which was recorded by Chem earlier as he is self-isolating due to a heart condition, started off with a couple of his trademark oyezs and said: “Llangollen thanks the NHS carers and all the other people supporting us through these difficult times. It ended with three cheers for the carers and “take care and stay safe Llangollen!” 


* In Bishops Walk theatre assistant Andy Treble was remembered. 

At the same time groups of neighbours across the town were taking part in the now-weekly Clap for Carers.

In Bishops Walk the emphasis was on remembering the contribution made to the coronavirus fight by 57-year-old Andy Treble, the much-respected theatre assistant at Wrexham Maelor Hospital, has passed away the previous day in the Critical Care Unit after testing positive for COVID-19.


* NHS staff and emergency services teams clap outside Wrexham Maelor Hospital. 

As could be seen on a Facebook post, outside the Maelor itself last night there was an enormous gathering of NHS staff, emergency services workers and others who came joined forces to clap for everyone on the frontline battling Covid-19.

The post read: “Tonight everyone came together from all over the hospital to support each other and to pay respects to one of our own, so emotional for so many people  we will beat this together 


* Minffordd residents come out to clap and cheer.
Back in Llangollen, in Minffordd a group of residents were out enthusiastically waving light-sticks and cheering for the carers.


There was a similar response across town in Regent Street where there were applause, saucepans banged and a vuvuzela sounded at 8pm.

Meanwhile, Llangollen Health Centre posted during yesterday: “If you are a type 1 or type 2 diabetic and want guidance on how to manage your diabetes during the Coronavirus outbreak, please click on the link to our website below.

Soon after it was announced that the lockdown would continue for at least another three weeks, one local business announced on Facebook it would go on following government guidelines.
 
Finley's Newsagents, Sandwich Bar and General Store posted: “After today's announcement Finley’s will continue to follow government's guidelines and hopefully will be able to re open our door soon. We cannot wait to see you all!
Stay safe and well. Love,Rebekah.”.


* The famous boat horses enjoying their time in lockdown.
Another local business gave an update on how some famous local residents are faring under lockdown.

Together with a picture of their famous horses, Llangollen Wharf posted: “The boys may not be working at the moment but as you can see they are still eating well! Once we can start operating again we might have to work off a bit of their weight. That’s probably true of all of us.”