Get in touch ...

Know of something happening in
Llangollen?
Tweet
us on
@llanblogger

E-mail your contributions to: llanblogger@gmail.com

We are on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/pages/llanbloggercouk/139122552895186



Sunday, March 29, 2015

Easter egg hunt planned for the abbey

Easter Egg Hunt
 
Why not hop along to Valle Crucis Abbey this Easter Sunday and participate in an Easter Egg Hunt.
 
Make sure you get there early to avoid disappointment.

The first 30 children that take part in one of our trails will be rewarded with an Easter prize for taking part.

Dates, times and prices

Dates
05 Apr 2015
Times
11.00pm - 4.00pm
Prices
Adult - £3.50
Family - £10.50*
Senior citizens, students and children under 16 - £2.65
Member - Am Ddim/Free
Disabled and companion - Am Ddim/Free
*Admits 2 adults and all children under 16

Saturday, March 28, 2015

More "difficult decisions ahead" for county

Denbighshire councillors are faced with more difficult decisions about the county’s budget, despite having already steered through “choppy waters”.

That’s the message from council chief executive Mohammed Mehmet writing in the first electronic edition of the County Voice magazine.

Mr Mehmet (pictured left) says the new `e-communication' is just one example of the many changes in Denbighshire arising from the budget setting process.

For this financial year, Denbighshire had to meet a savings target of £8.8m in order to set a legal budget.

The electronic version means the council has been able to save up to £20,000 annually in this one area alone.

The chief executive says: “As with every single cut we have made, we have had to weigh up the pros and cons and look for innovative ways to ensure we still have a suitable way to provide a service, in this case, how we highlight what is happening within the county council.

“Of course, we cannot assume everyone has internet access and so to mitigate this, print-outs will be available to read in our libraries and One Stop Shops.”

Dealing with budget cuts, Mr Mehmet says: “Councils across the UK have been absorbing cuts to budgets for the last five years.

“In Denbighshire, we have now set our budget for 2015/16 but it has certainly not been an easy process with some really difficult choices to be made by councillors.

“These have included cutting budgets in some important areas and also to popular services as well as having to introduce charges for others.

“We are at the stage where we seriously have to consider which non-statutory services we can continue and at any one time, our officers are working hard to ensure that, even when a budget is cut the service can continue to be delivered where at all possible.

“This is a very difficult task which requires expert knowledge in their field and can require us taking a very different, at times radical approach to the challenges we face.”

The chief executive says cuts have been made in order to protect more important priorities, such as:

* Setting the lowest Council Tax increase in North Wales and the second lowest increase in Wales at 2.75%.

* A £90m investment programme for building new schools and improving existing ones has also been protected.

* Protecting Social Services.

* All leisure, libraries and youth facilities remaining open next year.

* Keeping roads maintenance, public protection, building control and planning, and housing services at a level that is at least as good as the Welsh average standards.

Mr Mehmet adds: “I'm hopeful that, subject to no in-year changes from Welsh Government, we will be able to develop further proposals for minimising the impact of the cuts to our residents but I say this with the proviso that cuts are predicted to last for several years to come and, although we have steered our way through choppy waters so far - there is no doubt that our councillors will be faced with more difficult decisions ahead and work is already underway to this end.”

* To sign up for the electronic edition of County Voice, go to www.denbighshire.gov.uk/countyvoice

Friday, March 27, 2015

Leaflet gives details of A5 road closure

Nearby residents have today (Friday) had leaflets pushed through their doors giving latest details of  the long-running road closure on the A5 in Llangollen.

The leaflet says:


Thursday, March 26, 2015

Part of Cynwyd closed by police, says BBC

The BBC reported around 8.30am today (Thursday) that part of the village of Cynwyd near Corwen had been closed by police.

For more on the story see: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-east-wales-32064302

* The Daily Post is reporting on the same incident: http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/police-close-denbighshire-village-due-8922169

Nun Run makes heavenly £1,500 so far


* Nun Runners line up at the start line.

THEIR prayers for good weather were answered when devout members of Llangollen Operatic set off on their charity Nun Run on Sunday in brilliant spring sunshine.

And with offerings now almost complete, it looks like their efforts raised a heavenly £1,500.

The sponsorship cash they made  by running or walking the 10k course in the countryside close to the town dressed as nuns or priests will go to help pay for their forthcoming production of the musical Sister Act and also to the charity Leonard Cheshire Disability.

Society member Louisa Jones, who was on the run, said: "We were under starters orders from Christine Dukes at Llangollen Sports Club and then headed up Dinbren Road and along the Panorama before dropping down Sun Bank and joining the canal towpath for the final stretch back into town.

"A good number of the 23 participants were dressed in ecclesiastical costume and this was a source of great amusement to passing walkers and cyclists, many of whom couldn't believe what they were seeing at first.

"Everyone successfully completed the course at varying paces but congratulations must go to Ross Wilson and Louise Decourt who took first and second place respectively with some excellent times.

"Money raised through sponsorship and donations is currently around £1500 and there is still more to come in.

"Needless to say we are extremely happy with this result and would like to express heartfelt thanks to everyone who supported the event and helped to make it happen."

* Pictures by Barrie Potter.


* Marcus Ansloos under holy starter's orders.

 
* Ross Wilson powers his way around the course.
 
 
* Runners celebrate their celestial achievement at Llangollen Sports Club.

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

County notifies of bus service changes

Denbighshire is informing bus users of a number of changes to bus services from April 7 and passengers are strongly advised to check timetables carefully.

All Denbighshire timetables are currently available online at www.denbighshire.gov.uk/travel and we expect the new printed timetables will be available from March 30.

Denbighshire's Director of Community and Economic Ambition, Rebecca Maxwell, said: "Earlier this year, Denbighshire set the final budget for the next financial year which included the need to make savings of around £10m across Council services. As a result, some bus routes will see fewer or altered journeys.

"We have worked with bus operators to ensure we continue to provide as comprehensive a service as possible for passengers."

Should passengers have specific questions, they can either telephone their operator or the County Council on 01824 706964

New measures help GPs to work in Wales

A new package of measures being announced today will make it easier for GPs to work in Wales, Health and Social Services Minister, Mark Drakeford has said.
 
These arrangements will make it easier for GPs who have previously worked in Wales to return to practice following a career break or a period of working outside the UK.
 
It will also support doctors who have qualified outside the UK and choose to work in Wales.
 
The package of measures includes a more targeted assessment of an individual’s skills, to identify those who can safely enter the workforce with minimum support or who require greater assistance.

Arrangements will also be put in place for overseas applicants to undertake their initial interview and assessment before they arrive in Wales, enabling tailored support for their return to practice to be agreed in advance.

It is also intended that the Medical Performers Lists in Wales be amended to provide GPs who wish to work outside the UK the opportunity to remain on the list for a maximum of five years.

This would remove the current obligation for all GPs who previously practiced within the Welsh health system to undertake the induction and refresher scheme on their return.

This approach will be underpinned by a requirement for the doctor to provide evidence of continuous professional development, clinical work and reflective practice.

Prospective returners to the GP workforce will continue to receive financial support for up to six months, depending on the clinical support required.

The Welsh Government will work with key stakeholders in Wales to take forward these changes.

Mark Drakeford said: “The changes I’m announcing today will make it easier to recruit new doctors to work in Wales and for GPs who want to return to work in Wales to do so. It also has the potential to reduce costs for those seeking to return.

“GPs, like many others, may decide to take career breaks for a number of reasons. Making it as easy as possible for them to return to work in Wales, while ensuring there are safeguards in place to ensure patient safety, is one of the ways we can increase the numbers of GPs required to provide care for patients in Wales.

“I recognise there are challenges in GP recruitment and retention in some parts of Wales, as there are elsewhere. We continue to work closely with NHS organisations to attract the best medical talent but we are operating in an extremely tough global market where many countries across Europe are experiencing shortages.

“The reforms we are making to Wales’ primary care service will help ensure that young GPs coming into practice have a wider range of options available to them, including opportunities to become involved in research and teaching in Wales.”