Get in touch ...

Know of something happening in
Llangollen?
Tweet
us on
@llanblogger

E-mail your contributions to: llanblogger@gmail.com

We are on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/pages/llanbloggercouk/139122552895186



Wednesday, March 11, 2015

New garden waste scheme starts March 30

Denbighshire County Council is counting down to the re-start of its garden waste collection service at the end of the month.

Since the announcement of charges for garden waste collections last autumn more than 11,000 households have opted into the scheme.

The first collection vehicles will leave council depots in Bodelwyddan and Ruthin on Monday March 30.  H

Householders that have opted in receive a collection calendar for the fortnightly service and a bar-code sticker for their green bin, or bar-coded tags where garden waste is collected in bags.

The council assures residents that all orders placed by March 16 will be ready for the first collections that start at the end of March.

Residents should refer to their collection calendar which for their actual collection day.

Councillor David Smith, Cabinet Lead Member for Environment, said:  “More than 10,000 orders have been fulfilled and calendars and stickers have been sent out and extra bins or bags delivered.

"Some orders, less than 2% of the total, have been held up due to some inconsistencies but every order placed by March 16 will be ready when the service starts.  "

Anyone who wants to receive the service when it starts needs to place their order by the 16th, though it’s possible to opt-in to the scheme at any time.”

Denbighshire’s introduction of charges for garden waste collection followed a significant reduction in its grant from the Welsh Government and will reduce council spending by around £400,000 annually from April 1 2015.

The council set an annual charge of £24 to empty its standard 140 litre green garden waste bin every two weeks with an option to have a second bin for an extra £12.

There is an equivalent service in place for residents who use the Council’s green dumpy sacks for garden waste.

The new service will operate for all 12 months of the year; there will be no seasonal break as there has been this winter.

Householders can opt in to the garden waste collection service by making a secure payment online at denbighshire.gov.uk/gardenwaste.

Payments can also be made by calling Denbighshire’s Customer Service centre on 01824 706101 or in person at any of the Council One Stop Shops.

Annual town meeting deals with some hot issues



ONLY about 20 people turned up for the annual town meeting at Llangollen Town Hall yesterday (Tuesday) evening.

However, a number of hot local issues were still aired. 

The meeting is the yearly opportunity for local people to hear what the Town Council has been doing on their behalf over the previous 12 months and for them to fire questions and comments from the floor on issues of interest.
In his opening address the mayor, Cllr Bob Lube, said that over the past year he had attended 55 meetings, representing and promoting Llangollen locally and nationally.

The council’s planning committee, he said, had continued to be vigilant, its members giving their “careful and considered recommendations” on all planning applications received.
He announced that a vacancy had arisen on the council following the resignation of Cllr Jane Palombella due to work commitments.

The Friends of the Town Hall group had given attention to the fabric of the building, with work including the fitting of new lights in the main hall and lighting outside the building being upgraded.
The Town Council had over the past year given financial support to organisations such as the Citizen’s Advice Bureau and the Llangollen International Musical Eisteddfod, he explained.

In conjunction with the Cittaslow community group, there had been a World Café event at the Town Hall last November at which people were able to give their views on local issues in a relaxed atmosphere.
A crowd-funding project led by Cllr Phil Thane through Cittaslow Llangollen had successfully raised £1,000 to pay for a one-day traffic study of the town centre with a view to easing traffic problems. This would take place on May 26 and be followed by a public meeting in the Town Hall.

The project to facelift the Chain Bridge had progressed well and would see the re-opening of the historic landmark within the next few months – 31 years after the bridge was closed for safety reasons.
Cost of supporting the project to the Town Council was £6,000, said the mayor, adding: “It just shows what a small community can do when committed to a cause.”

Other schemes in hand were improvements to the cemetery, he added.
He praised volunteers from Llangollen Tidy Town Team for the many hours of unpaid labour they had put in over the year, describing their contribution as “exceptional”.

Cllr Lube also had praise for organisers of key annual events such as Remembrance Sunday, Hamper Llangollen Food Festival, the Christmas Festival, the Eisteddfod, the Fringe, the Women’s Festival and the railway’s steam gala.
“My thanks to all involved in these magnificent events,” he said.

The mayor described the Town Council’s budget for next year as “prudent” and said that its share of the council tax bill – the precept – would be £88,845 – an increase of 61p on a Band D property.
Revealing that this would be his last town meeting as mayor as his two-year term of office was ending, Cllr Lube summed up by saying: “There’s certainly a lot of activity in the community at the moment and there are many opportunities for people to get involved.”

Questions and comments from the floor began with praise from resident Phil Jones for Cllr Phil Thane and Cittaslow for organising the latest traffic study.
Cllr Thane replied that in Castle Street drivers, traders and pedestrians had competing priorities for what should be done and that all solutions were contradictory. Hopefully, he said, the consultants would come up with an answer.

A resident pointed out this would be the third traffic study done on the town centre in recent years, asking: “Nothing ever gets done, so what’s different about this one?”
Cllr Thane said this was a “grassroots” scheme by the community rather than the county council.

There was then criticism from the floor that the Town Council had not been consulted on the last county-authorised survey.
The mayor replied that the Town Council was making representations about this.

The mayor was then questioned from the floor about what plans the Town Council had for the future look of the Royal Gardens and the adjacent war memorial.
Cllr Lube responded that he had requested an artist’s impression of a possible scheme to be prepared to facilitate a debate.

He added that a working group, comprising members of the local Royal British Legion, Tidy Town Team, Civic Society, Museum and Rotary, had been formed to decide on a possible scheme. There was also the possibility of looking into whether a suitable scheme would qualify for lottery cash support.
Edwina Hart, of the Save Our Paths campaign group, thanked the Town Council for its support of its battle to save the countryside around Llangollen from “damage and trespass” by illegal off-roaders.

She added that 500 people had now signed a petition in support of the group’s aims.
Other points raised from the floor included:

* Pedestrian access to the new health centre being built on the A539. The mayor said the Town Council had made representations about this to the county council and the health board.
* Whether Sainsbury’s would ever occupy the new supermarket being built for them on the former Dobson & Crowther site on the A5. Cllr Lube said he had recently been told by the site manager that Sainsbury’s were still coming and that the completed building was due to be handed over to them in September.

* Measures to control dog fouling. The mayor said county council enforcement officers – now in plain clothes rather than uniform – were regularly visiting the town.

* Traffic lights on the A5 at the bottom of Birch Hill. Cllr Lube said he had been informed that a survey was currently being carried out to determine ground movement at either side of  the road. He added he had been told that any sideways movement detected would mean major work which would take some time to complete.
The meeting, which was also attended by eight town councillors and Town Clerk Gareth Thomas, closed after about an hour at just before 8pm with the mayor thanking all those who attended.  

Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Crime tsar examines helicopter base decision

A crime tsar is investigating whether he can challenge the decision to axe a police helicopter base in North Wales.
 
North Wales Police and Crime Commissioner Winston Roddick CB QC (pictured below) is unhappy about the lack of proper consultation over the planned closure of the base at Rhuddlan in Denbighshire on September 15.
 
The police helicopter base at Hawarden in Flintshire will remain open.
 
The announcement was made last month by National Police Air Service (NPAS), which runs the UK’s police helicopter services.
 
It was part of a package of cuts which will see eight of the service’s 23 bases closing.
According to NPAS, it was facing budget cuts of 14 per cent in the next three years on top of the 23 per cent savings they had already made.
 
Mr Roddick said: “I am concerned that the decision by NPAS to shut the base in Rhuddlan does not concentrate enough on north Wales’s needs. 
 
"Likewise, I am concerned that consultation prior to the decision being made was clearly lacking. 
 
"NPAS has not taken the time to properly explain the rationale of the new operating model to us and I am therefore exploring whether there is an option to appeal the decision.
 
"The closures were presented as a fait accompli.  A series of working group meetings is being planned by NPAS to consider the reorganisation but this is too little, too late.
 
"In the meantime, I am in discussions with the Chief Constable to fully assess the implications of what is being proposed.
 
"The airbase in Rhuddlan represents the culmination of a great deal of hard work on the part of officers from this force and the location is central to north Wales.
 
"It is vital that the integrity of the air cover for North Wales is maintained and that the region continues to benefit from a first class service."
 

Monday, March 9, 2015

Do the write thing and join the group, says Rachel

 
In January this year Rachel Morris started a monthly writing group called Write Now Lllangollen.
 
Although Rachel moved from Llan to Saudi Arabia last autumn to teach at the world's largest women-only university, she still runs and attends the group thanks to e-mail, Facebook, and Skype/Facetime.

Write Now meets in the first floor 'conference room' at Gales on Bridge Street  - above the shop via the side door - on the third Wednesday of each month at 7.30pm, the next being March 18.
 
Rachel says she wishes to thank Pip Gale and Gales for their generosity.
 
She added: "All genres and levels of experience are welcome. They read their work aloud to each other, in a very informal and supportive atmosphere.
 
"So grab your wine and food and head on up to share your words, or just listen if you wish."

* For further information, contact Rachel at dr.rc.morris@gmail.com

Sunday, March 8, 2015

Twenty Club's Gaslight lit up the stage

A talented cast from the Twenty Club lit up the stage with their atmospheric production of the Victorian melodrama Gaslight at Llangollen Town Hall last night (Saturday).

The story revolves around Jack Manningham, who is slowly and deliberately driving his wife, Bella, insane in an attempt to have her committed and therefore prevent her from discovering too much about his extremely murky past.

He has almost succeeded in his evil plan when help arrives in the shape of former detective,  Rough, who has strong reason to believe that Manningham is the thief and murderer he first encountered as a young bobby 20 years previously in exactly the same house.

All the action of the play, by Patrick Hamilton, takes place in just one place – the typically overstuffed living room of a mid-Victorian upper-class household,
And it had been created with such care by the club’s backstage team that it provided the perfect claustrophobic setting for this taut psychological thriller.

The acting from a relatively small cast was flawless.
Twenty Club stalwart Arwel Jarvis was the embodiment of a haughty Victorian gentleman with a dark secret to hide. So accomplished was he that, at times, he frightened the audience as well as his poor wife.

Reacting with just the right amount of pathos to this dastardly villain was Paula Sutton as Bella Manningham. As she descended into her husband-induced madness she took us all with her into the pit of despair.
The man who finally solves this deeply disturbing whodunnit is Mathew Oswald-Haggett as the ex-police detective. His character’s name may have been Rough but Mathew’s performance was marvellously smooth.

Another neat performance came from one of the younger members of the club’s on-stage team, Amy Tennant, who fitted her part of the Manningham’s flighty maid Nancy like a velvet glove.
And no production by the club would be complete without an appearance by Noreen Turner, who this time was totally believable as the family cook and housekeeper, Elizabeth.

While the producer for Gaslight was the highly experienced Mike Law, the piece had at its helm David Edgar, a first-time director for the club. And the end result was a real credit to his abilities. 

Saturday, March 7, 2015

Traffic calming measures approved for Abbey Road


* A county council plan of the new measures.

Llangollen county councillor Stuart Davies says he is pleased to announce he has been successful in getting traffic calming measures put in place in Abbey Road and Pentrefelin after representations were made by concerned residents.

 It is hoped that the scheme will be implemented in April this year, he said.

This follows on from the 20mph scheme put in place in Pengwern.

Cllr Davies added: "I'm grateful for the officers' response to help safeguard our residents."

The scheme involves the placing of rumble strips in the road near the entrance to Abbey Dingle, Textureflex coloured surfacing on the carriageway and new road signs.

Friday, March 6, 2015

World Heritage site looking for volunteers

The Canal & River Trust says it needs to recruit people with a range of skills to help out along the 11-mile World Heritage Site of the Llangollen Canal for the 2015 tourist season.

With the busy holiday period due to start at Easter, only a month away, a special volunteer recruitment day is being held at Trevor Basin Visitor Centre, next to the aqueduct, on Friday 6 March, 10am-4pm.

The trust is inviting you to visit the impressive structure, chat to staff and existing volunteers about the work, and discover more about the range of tasks available.

Wide variety of roles

Lynda Slater, Visitor Centre manager for the Canal & River Trust, explained: “ We want to recruit volunteers for a wide variety of roles, from helping in  the Trevor Basin Visitor Centre to being part of our ranger team looking after the waterway and engaging with boaters.

“We are looking for people who can commit a number of hours hours a week and in return we promise them a rewarding time helping people experience the beautiful Llagollen Canal and this amazing, elegant aqueduct.”

Constructed by famous canal engineers Thomas Telford and William Jessop between 1796 and 1805, Pontcysyllte Aqueduct is a grade one listed scheduled ancient monument and forms the centrepiece of the World Heritage Site. Every year it attracts thousands of visitors from all corners of the globe.

Anyone who would like to volunteer with the Canal & River Trust but cannot attend the open day, please call Lynda Slater on 01978 822912 or email Lynda.slater@canalrivertrust.org.uk.