Get in touch ...

Know of something happening in
Llangollen?
Tweet
us on
@llanblogger

E-mail your contributions to: llanblogger@gmail.com

We are on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/pages/llanbloggercouk/139122552895186



Saturday, September 8, 2012

Water waste of a precious resource


* The drinking water gushes into the canal.
A novel way of topping up the Llangollen Canal seems to have been discovered.

Yesterday (Thursday) afternoon one of the service points supplying utilities to boats tying up on the stretch after the wharf in the direction of Fron was freely gushing gallons of drinking water – straight into the canal beside it.
One wonders how long it had been leaking in this way and why something had not been done to stop it.
There was a yellow and black tape tied around it, so somebody in charge of the canal must have known something about it.
There’s clearly no shortage of water here.
But who is paying for it, llanblogger wonders.
If the new Canals and Rivers Trust which is in now charge of the canal cares to explain we'd be delighted to publish their reply.

 

Police get heavy with metal thieves

Operation Tornado is being launched across Wales in a bid to crack down on metal theft.
All four Welsh Police Forces are taking part in the operation, which has already seen successes in other parts of the UK.
All scrap metal dealers in Wales will be approached and encouraged to part in a scheme where they only buy scrap metal from individuals that are able to provide photographic proof of their identity.
This will include either a photo card driving licence including an address, or a passport or national ID card supported by a utility bill, which must be under three months old and show their address.
In local authority areas where ID schemes are already established for itinerant collectors, then this will also include a local authority issued photo ID card.
The operation is being spearheaded by the Association of Chief Police Officers (ACPO) and British Transport Police.
In the North East of England, the theft of metal fell by around a half following the introduction of Operation Tornado.
Detective Inspector Mark Cleland, of British Transport Police, said: "We will be working with scrap metal dealers to enforce this code of conduct until legislation kicks in later in the year. We want to work with them to professionalise the industry and target the people who are dealing in criminal acquisition of property."
Detective Superintendent Russell Tiley from Gwent Police, who is the Welsh representative on the National Metal Theft Working Group, said: “This latest operation is just one of many tactics that we are employing to tackle the theft of metal. We hope that all scrap metal dealers in Wales will sign up to the scheme to help make it difficult for thieves to sell on any scrap metal that they have stolen.”
Anyone who has any information about metal thefts, or those involved in this criminality, to call 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Friday, September 7, 2012

Focus falls on our historic gems

We now have some additional information about events taking place as part of the Llangollen Open Doors Weekend, organised by Llangollen Civic Society, this Saturday and Sunday, September 8 and 9.

These are:

Town Hall:
10am to 4pm both days
Exhibitions
The History and Restoration of the Chain Bridge.
“Web of Iron” – history of suspension bridges featuring the Chain Bridge.



The Three (local) Bards – by Hanes in conjunction with a new bi-lingual book.
Remembering those locally who made the sacrifice in WW1 and WW2.
The River Dee – a photographic and hangings display courtesy of The Fringe.
There will also be a talk on the History of the Royal International Eisteddfod at 12.00 noon.
On Sunday at 3 pm the Silver Band will be playing outside. 

Eliseg’s Pillar
10am to 5pm both days
You are welcome to visit the site to observe this year’s archaeological dig.
On Saturday there will be guided tours between 3 and 5 pm. 

Llangollen Museum
10am to 5pm both days.
Exhibition on the History of Plas Newydd from the Ladies to today.
There is also a new exhibition from the archive of H. Hugh Jones, Headmaster of the County School, 1919 to 1937.



* Llangollen Museum.
Holy Cross Church
10.30am to 4pm both days.
Exhibition of the History of the Catholic Church in Llangollen. 

Llantysilio Church
10.30am to 4pm both days
 
St John’s Church
10.30am to 4.30pm both days
Exhibition – An Illustrated History of Llangollen’s Churches & Chapels.
There will also be access to Digitised Parish Records of Llangollen (i.e. Baptisms, Marriages and Burials from 1837).
Cemetery Records.  Grave and Monument records for St John’s, Fron, Penybryn and Garth 

Y Capel
9.30am to 4.30pm Saturday
10.00am to 4.30pm Sunday
Exhibition Conservation, Adoration and Information – the History of the Building.
Family History Sessions throughout the day, using Internet Sources, Ancestry and Find my Past.

Get your council tax bills by e-mail

Residents in Denbighshire can now receive their council tax bills via e-mail.

Denbighshire County Council has been looking at ways of finding more efficient and effective ways of distributing council tax bills, whilst looking at reducing costs, and has now arranged for any resident wishing to receive their bills via e-mail to do so in future.

Residents wanting to take up this offer should e-mail their name, address and council tax reference number to: revenues@denbighshire.gov.uk

On receipt of this request, all future bills would be sent via their email address until advised otherwise.

For further information, telephone: (01824) 706443, 706456, 706468, 706315, 706338, 706428

Thursday, September 6, 2012

Crime falls by over 6% in North Wales

North Wales Police has confirmed that overall crime in the region has fallen by more than 6%.
Since April 2012 internally collated performance figures show that overall crime has gone down by 6.3% with steady reductions across a range of offences.
Assistant Chief Constable Gareth Pritchard said: “There was some concern earlier in the summer that deployments of staff to the Olympic Games in London would damage our capability to reduce crime during this busy period. In reality that has not proved to have been a problem.
“One area of continuing concern is the level of violence and we are very focused in our action to reduce such behaviour. We are the sixth lowest area for knife crime as a proportion of serious crime in England and Wales and robbery is similarly low, but overall violence is a concern.”
The falling figures reflect the progress the Force making by working in partnership with organisations such as local councils to tackle some of the issues facing our communities.
This summer officers worked with Denbighshire County Council and Conwy County Council’s Licensing Departments to enforce the Licensing Act legislation. Regular test purchasing exercises have been carried out to reduce under age drinking in the area.
As a result two public houses in Rhyl and Rhos-on-Sea were served a notice to shut for 48 hours after selling alcohol to people under-age on two separate occasions within three months.
A force-wide vehicle crime initiative, which has seen thefts from motor vehicles fall by 6.5% so far this year, involves sending the registered keeper of vehicles, seen to have valuables on display, a letter and crime prevention advice.
Patrolling officers and colleagues from partner organisations identify vulnerable vehicles that have valuable items on display.
Under the slogan, “Leave it on show, expect it to go,” the campaign is aimed at reducing the number of thefts from vehicles.
Car parks which have been the subject of crime have been visited by Crime Reduction Officers and car park managers spoken to and crime advisory notices displayed.
Meanwhile action days have been held following consultation with residents and housing associations to reduce anti-social behaviour.
North Wales Police has also made progress with the way it deals with low level dissatisfaction expressed by members of the public. These types of complaint, whatever their route into the force; letter, e-mail, telephone or personal visit, are now dealt with centrally and immediately allocated to a local supervisor for resolution.
The figures show the number of non-domestic burglaries is down by 13.1% while domestic burglaries are down by 7.9%. Criminal damage and arson figures are down by 10.1% and robberies are down by 4.5%.
Assistant Chief Constable Pritchard, welcomed the reductions, but said there was always more to do.
He said; “We have been working with partners on joint schemes to help deal with local problems such as anti-social behaviour and theft from vehicles. This approach is now showing positive results.
“These latest performance figures show we are making steady progress in our drive to keep North Wales a safe place to live and work.
“It is good to see that crimes such as burglary are down, but we would urge people to continue to take simple security measures to keep their homes, business premises and vehicles safe.”

Still time to comment on council's future blueprint

Denbighshire County Council is developing a new Corporate Plan for 2012-17.

This plan will define our priorities and the outcomes we aim to deliver for our communities. 

During the past year, the council has undertaken a considerable amount of consultation and engagement with residents, its staff, and elected members.

This helped to identify priorities for the new Corporate Plan. 

The council's engagement work has included the following:

· A Residents’ Survey: 2,256 households responded to a survey which included questions about the biggest issues facing our communities.

· A Public Survey: 1,228 people responded to a survey on the council's website and in its leisure centres, libraries, One-Stop-Shops and council reception areas.

· Workshops with young people: run with the Denbighshire Youth Council and Student Councils in high schools.

Draft priorities have been developed to reflect the public's views, and the council would now like to know what you think before it finalises and publishes its new Corporate Plan.

The council's proposed priorities:

1. Developing the local economy and communities

2. Improving school buildings and standards for all

3. Improving roads

4. Protecting vulnerable people and ensuring they are able to live as independently as possible

5. Providing a clean environment

6. Ensuring access to good quality housing

7. Modernising the council to deliver efficiencies and improve services for its customers.

Consultation is open until Tuesday 11th September.

Further information is also available online at
www.denbighshire.gov.uk/corporateplan.

The final draft of our Corporate Plan will be presented to councillors on Tuesday 9th October for agreement.

If you’d like to comment on the priorities we have suggested for our Corporate Plan 2012-2017, you can send an e-mail to
corporate.improvement@denbighshire.gov.uk, telephone 01824 706161, or write to Corporate Improvement Team, Denbighshire County Council, County Hall, Ruthin, LL15 1PH.

Railway stages steam spectacular

llanblogger picture special
 
 
Llangollen Railway staged a steam spectacular over two days last weekend. 

A fabulous five of its resident steam engines delighted visitors as they ran through 

the sunlit Dee Valley on Saturday and Sunday. 
 
Railway spokesman George Jones said: “Whilst many rail fans at the gala may have wished for a visiting steam engine to add variety to the line-up, the expense of hiring in a special guest loco, and the cost of transporting it for a short stay, exceeded the budget for this occasion.
“In any event, right now there is something of a famine in operational steam locomotives available for hire on the UK heritage railways as many engines are undergoing heavy overhauls or waiting for finance to allow restoration to be completed.
“In putting on a steam gala with five of its own locally based engines, of some variety, Llangollen Railway offered a major event - something which few other preserved lines in Britain can achieve at this time.
“Aside from the rail fans’ expectations, for the ordinary visitor the frequent steam-powered train service operating out of Llangollen with an assortment of engines was a sight to behold and the subject of much favourable comment.”
 
 
The demonstration Queen Mary brake van No. S45302 freight train awaiting departure in Llangollen station. Larger than usual version of the type, it has been a single-handed restoration challenge by LR member Bob Gordon who acquired the burnt-out remains for rebuilding. It is known as a Queen Mary on account of its large size - unusually it is mounted on two four-wheel bogies. Its restoration to working condition is another notable achievement at Llangollen railway and adds an impressive freight vehicle to the fleet of historic items.
 
 
The single coach Auto train hauled by Pannier tank 6430 about to depart Llangollen for an extended run onto the line extension towards Plas Bonwm farm - the current end of the new track. This proved popular with visitors keen to see progress with the Corwen extension.

 
 
The British Railways Standard tank 80072 returned from its spell on North Yorkshire Moors Railway and was back in action. Here, the engine is ready to depart Llangollen at 3pm wearing the well-remembered 'Cambrian Radio Cruise' headboard - a tourist train which once made a daily trip around North Wales via connecting lines and provided an on-board "radio" commentary about the route. This was very advanced for its day, and only possible before Dr Beeching axed many of the connecting lines when Corwen was a centre point of the system.
 
 
 The Black 5 44806 awaits departure at Llangollen with The Mancunian train head board.


The Pannier Tank 6430 and single auto coach waits to pass the inbound train at Llangollen Goods Junction.
 
 
Foxcote Manor No.7822 runs into Berwyn a station. Trains passed at a near 10-minuite interval during much of the gala which saw an intensive half-hourly timetable of departures from Llangollen.