Get in touch ...

Know of something happening in
Llangollen?
Tweet
us on
@llanblogger

E-mail your contributions to: llanblogger@gmail.com

We are on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/pages/llanbloggercouk/139122552895186



Thursday, June 17, 2021

Llan man wades into canal to rescue drowning fox


* Nico Decourt with the fox he rescued from the canal. Llanblogger, who was one of those Nico met as he walked along the towpath, took this picture.

A quick-thinking Llangollen man jumped into the canal to rescue a fox he saw drowning in the canal earlier today. 

Nico Decourt was on his early morning run along the towpath when the drama developed close to the bridge near the Sun Trevor. 

As he was passing past a moored boat a woman stopped him and asked if he could help with a fox struggling in the water. 

Without a second thought Nico, clad in his running gear, waded in and helped the floundering female fox to the side and stayed with her for almost an hour as she fought to recover from her ordeal. 

Nico, who works in the education world, said: “I ran past their boat and the lady was on the side of the canal with her spaniel. 

“She stopped me and asked if I could help. To start with I thought she had a pup that was stuck in the water but then realised it was a small fox. 

“I had to go in the water as the fox wouldn’t trust us to pick her up and she started drowning. 

“I found a stick to guide her to the side then lifted her up. 

“She stayed on the side in shock for a good 45 minutes while we tried to warm her up with a small blanket and dry her. 

“I decided to walk back with her along the canal as I didn’t want to leave her on the side of the path on her own. 

“I met some very nice people along the way who enquired about what had happened.” 

Nico added: “I wasn’t too sure about what to do to be honest but the lady’s concern gave me that little bit of energy to rescue the poor animal. 

“I made it to near the pavilion with the fox in my arms when someone else spoke to me. The fox got a bit scared and jumped out of my arms and disappeared into the grounds of the pavilion. 

“So all was fine. She was running and well alive. 

“I believe she milked it from the wharf, enjoying the warmth of my arms and being carried around.”

No comments:

Post a Comment