Get in touch ...

Know of something happening in
Llangollen?
Tweet
us on
@llanblogger

E-mail your contributions to: llanblogger@gmail.com

We are on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/pages/llanbloggercouk/139122552895186



Wednesday, January 22, 2025

People urged to claim financial support due to them


A Member of the Senedd and an MP are teaming up to urge their constituents to claim the financial support they’re entitled to. 

Ken Skates MS and Member of Parliament Steve Witherden say an estimated £2bn goes unclaimed benefits in Wales, and a renewed effort is under way to make sure people get the help they qualify for and maximise their household incomes.

The MS and MP spoke publicly after recently learning of a couple in Ruabon who believe they have missed out on more than 20 years of Pension Credit payments. 

A £36m investment from the Welsh Government announced last week will ensure free, confidential advice is available to guide people through the claims process through the Single Advice Fund. 

“This new funding is backed by the Welsh Government’s ongoing Claim What’s Yours national benefit take-up campaign,” said Mr Skates, MS for Clwyd South. 

“Whether it’s applying for Personal Independence Payments, Carer’s Allowance or Pension Credit, help is available through the Advicelink Cymru helpline for anyone needing assistance with their financial entitlements.” 

Mr Witherden, MP for Montgomeryshire & Glyndŵr, said: “I welcome the Welsh Government’s continued efforts to promote benefits take-up across Wales, and would really encourage all my constituents who think they might be eligible for any kind of support to take advantage of the Single Advice Fund."

Since its launch in 2020, the Single Advice Fund service has helped people across Wales secure £160m in additional income and wipe out £43.6m in debts. Last year alone, the Claim What’s Yours helpline, which is funded by the Welsh Government and run by local Citizens Advice services, helped 36,800 people resolve over 120,000 financial, housing and employment issues.

The Welsh Government is also working with local authorities and other partners to make grants and other payments such as free school meals, the School Essentials Grant and the Council Tax Reduction Scheme as simple to claim as possible.

As part of the work to streamline Welsh Benefits, a new £550,000 pilot project with data analytics company Policy in Practice is working with 11 local authorities – including Wrexham, Denbighshire and Powys – to identify and reach out to people who may not realise they’re eligible for support. 

Mr Skates said: "Ensuring people get the benefits they’re eligible for can make a real difference, especially during the incredibly tough times many in Clwyd South are experiencing at the moment. By making it simpler for people, I hope we will be able to improve their financial outlook.

“Whether you’re struggling with daily expenses, managing debt or unsure about what help is available, there is support for you.”

Advicelink Cymru Claim What’s Yours advisors are ready to help you check your eligibility for extra income and guide you through the claiming process. For free advice, call 0800 702 2020.

Royal Hotel is subject of two planning applications


* The Royal Hotel, subject of two planning applications.

The county council says it is currently considering two planning applications for Llangollen’s Royal Hotel.

The first is an application for a major development, which would involve the extension and alteration of the existing building to form 12 self-contained flats, including use of land as parking and associated works.

The second is a Listed Building Application also relating to the hotel, which has lain empty and unused for the past few years.

Notices giving brief details of the two applications, both in the name of Mavi Royal Ltd, Mr M Jones, have been posted inside the front door of the building on Bridge Street.

Both notices are dated January 13 this year and representations on the applications are invited by February 3.

Denbighshire’s planning portal shows that both applications were originally received by the council on June 10 last year, became valid last November 7 and expired on January 2 this year, with no extensions being noted.

However, a spokesperson for the council said this week: “Both applications are currently live and formally under consideration by the Local Planning Authority.

 

The notices displayed a the hotel say representations can be made by email to: planning@denbighshire.gov.uk or in writing to: Development Management, PO Box 62, Ruthin, Denbighshire , LL15 9AZ.

Tuesday, January 21, 2025

Llangollen care home hit by £20,000 Budget 'double whammy'

* Bethan Mascarenhas, who owns and runs Old Vicarage care home in Llangollen  with brother Richard

A small family-run care home in Llangollen is being clobbered by a £20,000 double whammy as a result of controversial Budget measures.

That’s the additional annual cost the  Old Vicarage Care Home says it will face because of the increase in employers’ National Insurance payments and wage hikes announced by Chancellor Rachel Reeves.


According to Bethan Mascarenhas, who owns and runs the 16-bed home with brother Richard, the extra costs “added more pressure” to the social care sector which was already facing huge funding challenges. 


She challenged government leaders to visit a care home to see for themselves the impact the chronic lack of funding realistically had on people working on the frontline. 


Bethan is backing a campaign, launched by Care Forum Wales (CFW), calling for social care to receive an NHS-style exemption from National Insurance increases or emergency financial support to stop care homes and domiciliary care companies going bust. 


In launching their Save Social Care, Save the NHS campaign, care leaders say it’s vital care homes are protected from closure, otherwise patients who are fit to leave hospital but need social care will have nowhere to go and will add to the NHS bed-blocking crisis. 


Backing the campaign, Bethan said finding the extra funding needed to cover the increase in pay and National Insurance is an additional headache to everyone involved in the care sector. 

She said: “You’ve got to remember we’re a small home, and from these Budget decisions, it’s an extra £20,000 we’ve got to find all of a sudden. 


“We’re family-run, so we will look to absorb some of these costs by doing a lot of the work ourselves in terms of managing, in terms of covering care shifts. 


“The additional £20,000 we’ve got to find might seem relatively small, but we’re a small home and we will have to look at increasing our fees to cover that. 


“That could mean the fees will go up by £24 a week, which families or individuals will have to find. 


“The extra costs will have to be included in the fees, that’s the only way you can do it, unless you are going to completely review and cut your costs. 


“We are already constantly in this battle about whether we increase our fees or do we cut costs to make care more accessible. 


“We all work to such a high standard of care that it’s almost pretty much impossible to cut costs. 


“Our wages bill , which accounts for 70 per cent of our total income, is predicted to go up by 10.3 per cent whereas Denbighshire County Council is only increasing our fees by 3.9 per cent.

 

“If you are reaching the benchmark that the Care Inspectorate and the governing body want you to reach, then you’re following the legislation, you’re offering very individual person-centred care to a very high standard, you’re keeping the environment up, providing really great activities. 


“That also means your standards are very high and therefore that means your staffing needs to be very high – and your costs go up as a result. 


“You can’t cut corners, so what do you do?  Do you decide not to provide activities?  

So, then you’ve got people in your care home bored. 


“Do you cut corners in then saying ‘well, the environment can suffer’ and then the home doesn’t look as nice as a result? 


“This is the kind of tug-of-war that you have with yourself when you are looking at reviewing things, especially when it comes to financial decisions. 


“These additional costs from the Budget will put extra pressure on the care sector. 

“And the pressures just keep building and building. 


“So many homes have already closed because of the pressures and this is just another pressure. 


“It doesn’t feel right to be putting more pressure on an already struggling industry. We are so vulnerable within the care sector because we don’t have huge margins to work within.


“Social care is run by people who genuinely want to make a difference and provide a really good service for people in later life or people who are not able to look after themselves. 


“My message to the Government would be ‘come in, work with us, see the boots on the ground and come and look at the struggles that we have, come and see it on the frontline’. 


“Our staffing costs tend to be about 70 per cent of our turnover. 


“We need people, we completely run on people and if you don’t have people, you don’t have a business. 


“It’s a 24/7 service, you have people with very complex needs and your team are the backbone of the business.  


“They set the standard and the level of care so you need a good level of staffing and you need well-trained competent staff to be able to run a good service. 


“And that is why staffing costs are so much.” 


Care Forum Wales bosses say the inevitable result of the closure of any care home as a result of the Budget measures would be vulnerable people left high and dry, piling even more pressure on beleaguered hospitals already struggling to cope and create even longer waiting lists. 


With a 1.2 per cent rise in Employer National Insurance contributions and a cut to the Secondary Threshold to £5,000 alongside the five per cent increase in the Real Living Wage to £12.60, bosses at CFW have calculated the sector in Wales faces a £150 million funding hole to plug. 


CFW chair Mario Kreft MBE is leading the group’s new campaign. He said: “The former First Minister, Mark Drakeford, described social care as the ‘scaffold that holds up the NHS’ and losing care settings would be a disaster, not just for the vulnerable individuals for whom we care and our dedicated workforce, but also for hospitals across Wales.


“The changes, which amount to a tax on care, threaten to become a national emergency which is why our campaign, Save Social Care, Save the NHS.”

“During the Covid pandemic the Welsh Government provided better emergency financial support than any other part of the UK and we need to see a similar level of support to overcome this potential national emergency.

“Local authorities and health boards need to be directed to play their part in ensuring this financial support reaches the frontline to ensure this tax on care does not cause a collapse of social care and create a hammer blow for the NHS.”

Bethan added: “With the Budget measures, it just feels like we’ve been lumbered and after a very difficult time through Covid and all the other challenges the sector is vulnerable so we need help urgently.”

Monday, January 20, 2025

Firefighters battle blaze at former Llangollen hotel

Firefighters spent 10 hours at a blaze at a former hotel in Llangollen, according to a story this afternoon (Monday) in the Denbighshire Free Press.

For the full story, see: Crews called to fire at former hotel in Llangollen | Denbighshire Free Press

County film-making scheme puts local organisations in the frame


* Filming for the project takes place on Rhyl beach.

Denbighshire County Council’s Working Denbighshire programme, in collaboration with the Department for Work and Pensions, Conwy Employability Hub and Eternal Media, has launched an innovative project bringing together local organisations and residents, including one in Llangollen.

This initiative is designed to create professional, social media-ready promotional videos while equipping participants with valuable employability skills.


Towards the end of last year, two groups of up to 10 participants took part in a four-week filmmaking course.


Guided by the expertise of Eternal Media, participants learned practical skills such as operating film equipment, conducting interviews, and capturing compelling footage. These skills are being put into action at eight local organisations, including the Bryntysilio Outdoor Education Centre in Llangollen.


Also involved were Working Denbighshire, Cadwyn Clwyd, RCS, Stepping Stones, Resource Wales, DVSC and the Owain Glyndŵr Hotel in Corwen.


This project highlights the strength of collaborative working, with organisations not only showcasing their impact but also offering participants a unique opportunity to gain hands on experience. 


The course helped participants build transferable skills, boost confidence, and explore potential career pathways.


Working Denbighshire and Eternal Media supported the groups every step of the way and by the end of the course, participants gained:

  • Practical industry experience
  • Improved teamwork and communication skills
  • Enhanced confidence and motivation
  • A deeper understanding of local organisations
  • A qualification in Social Media

Each organisation will receive a simple, student-made promotional video to highlight their services and contributions to the community. These videos will help raise awareness and encourage engagement across Denbighshire and beyond.


Councillor Jason McLellan, Leader of the Council and Lead Member for Economic Growth & Tackling Deprivation, said: “This project demonstrates what can be achieved when organisations come together to create opportunities. It’s not just about promoting local services but also about empowering Denbighshire residents with the skills and confidence to move towards employment.”


Sian Lloyd Roberts, Reginal Skills manager at North Wales Regional Skills Partnership said: “We’re thrilled to see this innovative project inspiring Denbighshire residents with employment opportunities while equipping them with transferable skills. It’s great to see organisations and employers collaborating to create such meaningful opportunities, and we welcome the leadership shown by Working Denbighshire in driving this initiative forward.”


Working Denbighshire is part funded through the Welsh Government Communities for Work Plus Programme which supports those most disadvantaged in the labour market to overcome the barriers preventing them from gaining employment. Working Denbighshire is part funded by UK Government.


* For more information about Working Denbighshire visit https://working.denbighshire.gov.uk/

 

Saturday, January 18, 2025

Denbighshire libraries launch adults reading challenge

 


This new year Denbighshire Libraries are challenging their readers to read 25 books in 2025.

 

Every summer, Denbighshire’s Libraries run the Summer Reading Challenge for children but this year, the Libraries team are also challenging adult readers to read more.

 

The ’25 Book Challenge’ will encourage readers to step out of their comfort zone and try reading books from 25 different genres and themes in the form of book bingo. 


Themes include prizewinning novels, books set in a different country and books by a Welsh author. 


Bingo sheets can be collected from local Libraries and readers will win prizes after reading 10, 20 and 25 books. Incentives include a bookmark and a library tote bag (incentives available while stocks last).

 

Books can be read in a variety of formats, including physical books or audiobooks borrowed from the Library, or eBooks and eAudiobooks downloaded for free via the Borrowbox app.


There is evidence to show that reading for as little as six minutes a day can reduce stress levels by up to 68%. Reading can also help get a better night’s sleep, and reduce tension.

 

Readers can sign up at their local library.

 

Councillor Emrys Wynne, Denbighshire's Lead Member for Welsh language, Culture and Heritage said: “This reading challenge is a perfect way for residents to get back into reading books.

 

Residents can sign up at their local Library, and challenge themselves to explore different authors and genres throughout this new year.”