Get in touch ...

Know of something happening in
Llangollen?
Tweet
us on
@llanblogger

E-mail your contributions to: llanblogger@gmail.com

We are on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/pages/llanbloggercouk/139122552895186



Thursday, May 27, 2021

Computer firm helps school set up coding lab


* Managing director David Pinel and Jasmin Parry, tech support analyst, with 
pupils of Ysgol Y Gwernant and the new equipment. 

Representatives from Llangollen's IT Pro Support, went along to Ysgol Y Gwernant to present equipment for the school's new coding lab.

Kit handed over included four Raspberry PIs with monitors.

Company managing director David Pinel explained: "Understanding computers and learning the basics of coding helps children to develop an appreciation of how things work. 

"It also teaches them how to solve problems in a logical and creative way. This is an important reason that coding should be available in schools, so children learn these skills while they’re young."

Wednesday, May 26, 2021

Eisteddfod responds to decorated bridge reaction

 

* An artist's impression of how a decorated bridge is intended to look.

Llanblogger’s recent story on Llangollen International Musical Eisteddfod’s plan to launch this year’s festival by transforming the ancient town bridge into a giant work of art has split local opinion.

The eisteddfod has commissioned internationally renowned artist Luke Jerram to wrap the 60 metre-long bridge in a giant patchwork reflecting the crafts and cultures of Wales alongside the festival’s participating nations. 

While the festival will mainly be held online this year, organisers hope the eye-catching Festival Bridge will also attract people to visit the town this summer.

Since the story appeared on the blog last Friday, to be shared on social media, over 100 people have commented via Facebook.

While some described it as “a great idea” and said “wow, can’t wait,” others were more critical and said things such as “waste of money” and “ridiculous, awful and expensive”.

Others questioned how appropriate the decoration would be on Grade 1 Listed structure.

Former deputy town mayor, Issy Richards, questioned whether bodies such as Debighshire County Council, which is responsible for the bridge, or ancient monuments body CADW had been consulted about the scheme.

Llanblogger sought the reaction of the eisteddfod, which replied: “We are very much looking forward to working with people from the local community of Llangollen on the bridge artwork for this year’s Eisteddfod. 

“The artist, Luke, is hoping people will send in fabric contributions for the giant patchwork art installation, which is intended to celebrate the town of Llangollen as the home of the Eisteddfod, and the traditional crafts and cultures of Wales. 

“With this year’s event being held mainly online due to the pandemic, we are hoping the artwork will help keep the spirit of the Eisteddfod alive in Llangollen. 

“We’re actively working with local organisations including Denbighshire County Council and CADW, who have been very supportive of the plans. 

The beauty of the town, and the support of the people who live there, is such an important part of the event’s unique appeal and success.”  

The bridge artwork aims to connect and extend the Eisteddfod’s creativity out from the field where it is normally held each year into the town, transforming and animating Llangollen for the whole world to see.

The festival says it is offering anyone, from local residents in the area and fans of the Eisteddfod to the friends and families of people participating, the chance to get involved.

They are asking for 1m x 1m fabric squares which will be stitched together into a giant patchwork and hung over the bridge. Ideally the patches should be bold in design, so the image stands out when seen from a distance.

People are asked to submit their patchwork by 30 June 2021 and to visit https://international-eisteddfod.co.uk/[KL1] for details, information and terms and conditions.

Denbighshire County Council has been asked for a comment.

Monday, May 24, 2021

Further consultation on county's walking and cycling routes

The second phase of an active travel consultation has been launched in Denbighshire.

The county council is working with Sustrans Cymru as part of the Welsh Government’s Active Travel Network Map consultation on improvements to walking and cycling routes in the county.

A total of 375 people responded to the first phase making 456 comments and this feedback has helped inform draft plans for Llangollen, Rhyl, Prestatyn, Meliden, Dyserth, Rhuddlan, Bodelwyddan, St Asaph, Denbigh, Ruthin and Corwen.

The project focuses on the 11 towns in Denbighshire selected by Welsh Government as the designated localities in the county.

The draft plans show existing routes that already meet active travel standards, routes which require upgrading to meet the standards and new routes we would like to see built over the next 15 years.

The county is now asking if the proposed walking and cycling routes will help people get around their local area more as a pedestrian and a cyclist, and if not what other improvements are needed.

* For information on how to provide feedback go to https://denbighshire2.commonplace.is/

 

Sunday, May 23, 2021

County chiefs promise to investigate planter traffic incidents


* Llangollen Advocate's picture of the knocked-over 
Castle Street planter.

County council chiefs say they will investigate latest traffic incidents involving the planters in Castle Street and consider potential solutions. 

The Llangollen Advocate group, which has been campaigning against the social distancing measures installed along one side of Llangollen’s main street, has complained about a number of incidents where the planters – which replaced earlier bollards – have been struck by traffic. 

Latest example came last Wednesday when one of the plastic containers was ripped from its mountings by a passing lorry. 

Advocate obtained both stills pictures and video footage of the incident copies of which it emailed to county and town councillors. 

Llanblogger was also sent a copy of the email in which Advocate said: “Please note the attached photos which show a planter which has been knocked over by a passing vehicle this morning in Castle Street. 

“It is fortunate that that a member of the public was not there to be struck by the planter when this incident happened. 

“It clearly evidences the fragility of these items and the fact that they are not fit for purpose.”

A spokesperson for Denbighshire County Council said: “We have noted the recent incident where a lorry waiting to turn right into Market Street struck one of the planters on Castle Street. 

“We have also been made aware that there have been further recent incidents where lorries have mounted the pavement on Castle Street. 

“Our Road Safety team will investigate these latest incidents and consider potential solutions.”

MP hails 70th anniversary of heritage railways

* Simon Baynes MP during a recent visit to Llangollen Railway.

Clwyd South MP Simon Baynes has welcomed the 70th anniversary of heritage railways in the United Kingdom, the success of which paved the way for saving the Llangollen Railway – one of the principal tourist attractions in his constituency.

Mr Baynes, who is a member of the All-Party Parliamentary Group (APPG) for Heritage Rail, praised the volunteer heroes without which he said heritage railway would be a pipe dream.

On May 14, 1951 the first heritage train service run by volunteers set out on the Talyllyn Railway in Wales and triggered a heritage railway movement that has now grown to 158 railways across the United Kingdom.

Mr Baynes said: “I’m very pleased to mark the 70th anniversary of heritage railways and am very much looking forward to seeing the Llangollen Railway re-open soon to bring more tourists and visitors back to the beautiful Dee Valley. 

"Congratulations to the pioneering Talyllyn Railway which ran the first train with volunteers on 14 May 1951 and inspired over 150 heritage railways throughout the UK, including our own Llangollen Railway.”


Saturday, May 22, 2021

St Collen's celebrates its saint's day with evensong

* Vicar, Father Lee Taylor, leads the worship from the choir stalls.

* The socially-distanced congregation.

* Simon Baynes MP gives the first reading of the service.


* June Cook provides the second reading. 

St Collen's Church celebrated its own saint's day with a special evensong yesterday.

Worship was led by the vicar, Father Lee Taylor, with members of the large congregation all properly socially distanced.

As singing is not allowed due to Covid-19 regulations, musical items were provided by a highly proficient choir augmented by Father Lee.

One of the lessons was read by Clwyd South MP Simon Baynes.

The event was originally supposed to have been rounded off with a barbecue outdoors but, due to the continuing rain, burgers, wine and soft drinks were served inside the church by the socially-distanced worshippers. 

Latest roadworks alerts for Llangollen

The latest local roadworks alert from one.network is:

 

Castle Street


24 May — 28 May

 

Delays likely - Traffic control (give & take)

 

Works location: Castle Street

 

Works description: 24/5/21-28/5/21/Jayne Valentine/Drainage Survey/Give and take...

 

Responsibility for works: Denbighshire County Council

 

Current status: Advanced planning

 

Works reference: QR015S000000001750

 

 

Brook Street


24 May — 11 June

 

Delays possible - Traffic control (two-way signals)

 

Works location: A5, Near Star Inn, Regent Street, Llangollen

 

Works description: Refurbishment of Traffic Signal - Replacement of Traffic Signal Poles, Tactile Paving & White Lining

 

Responsibility for works: Welsh Government

 

Current status: Advanced planning

 

Works reference: PD50121111154023798 

 

 

Market Street


24 May — 28 May

 

Delays unlikely - Traffic control (give & take)

 

Works location: Market Street

 

Works description: 24/5/21-28/5/21/Jayne Valentine/Drainage Survey/Give and take...

 

Responsibility for works: Denbighshire County Council

 

Current status: Advanced planning

 

Works reference: QR015S000000001745 

 

 

Oak Street


24 May — 28 May

 

Delays unlikely - Traffic control (give & take)

 

Works location: Oak Street

 

Works description: 24/5/21-28/5/21/Jayne Valentine/Drainage Survey/Give and take...

 

Responsibility for works: Denbighshire County Council

 

Current status: Advanced planning

 

Works reference: QR015S000000001746