Get in touch ...

Know of something happening in
Llangollen?
Tweet
us on
@llanblogger

E-mail your contributions to: llanblogger@gmail.com

We are on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/pages/llanbloggercouk/139122552895186



Saturday, February 2, 2013

North Wales Police "keeping force numbers strong"

Latest Home Office figures show North Wales Police is succeeding in keeping force numbers strong.
Between March and September 2012 an additional 43 police officers were recruited, which raised the strength by 12; police staff numbers strengthened by 71 over the year from September 2011 to 2012; and an additional 97 Police Community Support Officers (PCSO's) took to the streets over the same period.
Chief Constable Mark Polin said: "In the first six months from September 2011 police officer numbers fell by 39, which given the context of a significant cut in funding was not surprising.
 
"However, the fact that as a force we have been working hard to deliver savings over a number of years meant that we were able to begin to recover from this dip, with 43 officers being recruited between March and September last year.
 
"In light of the economic climate we looked at new ways of working and credit must go to those within the organisation whose focus on driving out savings and willingness to be flexible have made this possible."
Police Constable recruitment resulted in four intakes with the first 22 new officers taking to the streets in January this year. They will be followed by a further 21 in April and 24 in August and recruitment will continue over the coming year.
The recruitment of additional PCSO's, which was assisted by funding from the Welsh Government, alongside the recruitment of PCs presented a significant recruitment and training challenge. It was correctly predicted that a substantial number of our existing PCSO's would be successful with their applications to become PCs.
The same applied to Special Constables, with 34 being recruited as either PCs or PCSO's.
Chief Constable Polin added: "The movement of Specials and PCSO's shows that both offer an entry route for those wishing to become a police officer. It's encouraging to see so many making the move into the regular force."

Friday, February 1, 2013

Council chiefs' concern over health shake-up

The BBC news website is reporting today (Friday) that council leaders in Denbighshire have concerns about the proposed shake-uo of health services in the region which will see the closure of Llangollen Cottage Hospital.

See the full story at:

 http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-21284958 

Honey Pots re-opens with new look


* At work on Honey Pot's new look.

Honey Pots opens its doors again in Llangollen tomorrow (Saturday) with its paint barely dry.  

Its new look offers a glimpse of blue sky after days of snow and rain in Castle Street.  

Downstairs is a gift emporium, official stockists of Charlie Bears, Pip Studio, Gorjuss, Santoro and Pilgrim Jewellery, plus its own range of unique hand painted pottery and furniture               

Upstairs is a newly decorated ceramic studio -  a great place to relax and paint pottery.  

The Busy Bee Studio has become increasingly popular with families, hen parties, birthday parties or an indoor teambuilding alternative ‘without getting wet’ and for those looking to create a unique present or just a chance to relax and have fun.  

This contemporary space is also hire for workshops, talks, craft workshops and sales events.

Honey Pots will be holding regular events including pottery painting parties for special celebrations such as Valentine’s Day and for mums and toddlers to capture a baby or toddler’s early years through hand and foot prints.

Sarah Meade, Honey Pots manager, said: “This is an exciting time for Honey Pots in Llangollen and its sister shop in Oswestry.  

“We have a great team of staff and we are very proud of what we have achieved over the last five years.  

“The two shops will enable us to offer a great range of gifts, painting opportunities and events. We look forward to welcoming our regular customers and inspiring new ones.”

Thursday, January 31, 2013

Move to beef up hospital food

Hospital food across Wales has been given a makeover to ensure patients have tasty choices which can address patient’s individual nutritional requirements, says the Welsh Government.
 
Health Minister Lesley Griffiths has launched the All Wales Hospital Menu Framework, which includes a database of recipes to be used in all hospitals.
The database currently consists of 18 soups, 38 main course items and 42 desserts, snacks and accompaniments that have been analysed and meet strict nutritional standards.

Celebrity chef James Martin (pictured right) and Abergavenny-based Michelin star chef Stephen Terry have been involved in the process and contributed a number of signature recipes to the menu.

Lesley Griffiths said: "Hospital food is an essential part of patient care. Good food can encourage patients to eat well, giving them the nutrients they need to recover from surgery or illness.

“Food should be viewed with the same importance as medication, with catering recognised as a clinical support service.

“We are leading the way in Wales by improving hospital food with an all-Wales menu. Standardising the food on offer so patients are assured of good food, wherever they are treated, will help them back to health and improve their experience of hospital greatly.

“Having tasted some of the dishes on offer, I believe the old jokes about hospital food will soon become a thing of the past.”

Chef James Martin said: “I really feel that food is a medicine. Patients should look forward to meal times as one of the highlights of their day.

“So I was delighted to be invited by the Health Minister to get involved in such a brilliant project that will instantly benefit so many patients. I thoroughly enjoyed working with the All Wales Hospital Menu Framework Group and the team at Nevill Hall Hospital and wish them every success."

Witnesses sought to fatal Llandegla incident

Police are appealing for witnesses to a road traffic incident at Llandegla last night (Wednesday) which left a 31-year-old local man with critical injuries from which he died shortly afterwards.
 
In a statement issued earlier, North Wales Police said: "At about 11.03pm last night, Wednesday 30th January 2013, North Wales Police and other emergency services responded to the scene of a road traffic incident where they found a 31-year-old local man with critical injuries.
 
"North Wales Police are currently investigating the possibility the man’s injuries were the result of a hit and run road traffic collision.
 
"Sadly the man passed away a short time later."
Investigating Officer PS Gwyndaf Jones of the Roads Policing Unit said: “The man was found on the A525 Road at Llandegla approximately ¼ mile west of the Plough public house.
 
"Although another local man has been arrested in connection with the incident we are still appealing for anyone who may have witnessed the incident, or has any information concerning it, to contact the Roads Policing Unit by phoning 101.”
* If you have any information about the collision North Wales Police can be contacted on 101 or anonymously via Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 and quote incident RC13015575.

Wales to stick with GCSEs and A levels

GCSE and A levels will be retained in Wales, alongside a revised, more rigorous, Welsh Baccalaureate.
 
That is the message from the Deputy Minister for Skills, Jeff Cuthbert, as he outlined the Welsh Government’s response to the Review of Qualifications for 14 to19-year-olds.
 
The recommendations to create new GCSEs in English Language and Welsh First Language, as well as two new GCSEs covering numeracy and mathematical techniques, have also been accepted.

These will be introduced in September 2015 and will reflect and support the improvements expected from the new Literacy and Numeracy Framework.

The Deputy Minister for Skills, Jeff Cuthbert said: "We are broadly accepting all of the Review’s recommendations and are setting a clear strategic direction and vision for qualifications in Wales.

"We will retain GCSEs and A levels. Where necessary we will strengthen and amend these, but ultimately we have confidence in these well established qualifications, which are recognised around the world.

"People expect GCSEs to assess literacy and numeracy, this is why we are developing new GCSEs to do just this. Having two mathematics GCSEs will reflect the importance of the subject for progression and employment. We will expect most learners to take both these GCSEs.

"At the heart of this system will be a revised, more rigorous, Welsh Baccalaureate. The Review identified clear support for this qualification. But we will not rest on our laurels, the Review also noted some concerns over the rigour of the current model and we will act to address these, introducing grading and more stretching requirements.

“We will further develop the detailed model put forward by the Review and consider whether there is a case for incorporating specific subjects, such as science.

“We will continue to engage with stakeholders to ensure that the Welsh Baccalaureate provides both breadth and rigour, together with an engaging learning experience.”

The aim is to introduce the revised Welsh Baccalaureate for teaching from September 2015.

Other key recommendations being accepted are:
  • The introduction of a new, stronger gatekeeping process for vocational qualifications to ensure that public funding is only approved for qualifications that have quality, rigour, relevance and value. This will reduce the number of qualifications available and simplify the picture for learners, parents and employers.
  • A maximum equivalence of two GCSEs for vocational qualifications, where justified, from 2015.
  • Removing the Essential Skills Wales qualifications for 14-16 from 2015 with revised Essential Skills and Wider Key Skills qualifications, to be introduced in 2015 for post 16 learners.
The Education Minister, Leighton Andrews, has already accepted and outlined the establishment of Qualifications Wales, a new body to regulate and assure the quality of all qualifications, other than degree level, in Wales.

Try a 10-mile trek for charity

 
Being billed as the perfect way to brush off those winter blues and stride into spring is the 10 Mile Llangollen Canal Walk in aid of Hope House planned for Sunday, March 3.
 
The walk will follow a beautiful scenic route overlooking the Dee Valley and goes from Trevor Basin to Chirk Bank and back along the Ccnal towpath.
 
There are some challenges along the way as walkers brave two  high aqueducts and two long tunnels (torches are a must!)
 
Marshalls will be on hand to guide walkers and the trek starts and finishes at The Telford Inn where they serve lovely Sunday lunches to finish off your day.

The walk starts at 10:30am and will take up to four hours to complete.
 
Maps will be given on the day. The path is flat, however, it is not suitable for wheelchairs and pushchairs.
 
The event is open to all ages and is free to register and with no minimum sponsorship requirement walkers are just asked to raise what they can for Hope House.

For more details, contact: 

H The Fundraising Office, Nant Lane, Morda, Oswestry, Shropshire, SY10 9BX
( 01978 754 018