Get in touch ...

Know of something happening in
Llangollen?
Tweet
us on
@llanblogger

E-mail your contributions to: llanblogger@gmail.com

We are on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/pages/llanbloggercouk/139122552895186



Wednesday, October 7, 2026

After 14 months Dyfan is back home in 'sunny Llangollen'

The teenager from Llangollen seriously injured in a crash with a truck in China as he and his two friends were on a cycling marathon to Thailand is now back home.

Dyfan Hughes was badly hurt as he and fellow 19 year olds Louis Dennis from Garth and James Thomas from Wrexham - together known as the Westheads - were on one of the final stages of their 10,000-mile cycling trip in memory of Tony Edge, the father of their friend Harrison, who died following a heart attack in 2024, and along the way raised well over £50,000 for the British Heart Foundation.  

Dyfan was rushed to hospital in the city of Chengdu with a catalogue of injuries to both legs, spine, neck and scalp and a few weeks ago had major corrective surgery lasting for many hours.

Following a flight of over 13 hours from China he arrived back at the Wrexham Maelor Hospital just over a week ago where he took part in a question and answer session about his ordeal with llanblogger this Monday. See: https://llanblogger.blogspot.com/2026/10/llanblogger-speaks-to-dyfan-about-his.html

At the time he said he hoped to be back home in Llangollen within days and this morning (Wednesday) he was on social media reporting that he had arrived at last.


* Dyfan tries out his mobility in a physio session on the hospital stairs.

Speaking to camera he says: "After just a week at the Maelor Hospital they have now said it is safe for me to go home.

"So I'm on my way home - I'm going back to sunny Llangollen!

"They say I've got to go back to have a couple checks and an operation and the physio will be in either Chirk or Rhos.

"I'm just buzzing to get back."

The post goes on to show Dyfan having physio up and down the stairs in hospital, tucking into a large lunch there, meeting up with his mate Louis, being driven home and being greeted by the family dog.

He then declares: "There's nothing is quite like your own bed. I had such a good sleep in here last night. First time, I slept in there for 14 months, I just feel amazing to be home.

"And hopefully, all I've got left now is taking the wire out of the left foot, and then I should be all done, and I'll be fully into the physio and the rehab side of things." 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.