Get in touch ...

Know of something happening in
Llangollen?
Tweet
us on
@llanblogger

E-mail your contributions to: llanblogger@gmail.com

We are on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/pages/llanbloggercouk/139122552895186



Sunday, May 9, 2021

Welsh Labour win police and crime commissioner election

Welsh Labour's Andy Dunbobbin (pictured) has been elected as the new North Wales Police and Crime Commissioner after victory in last Thursday's election, which was counted today (Sunday).

He won with a total of 98,034 votes against 90,149 for Conservative Pat Astbury.

In his election material the Flintshire county councillor said: "Having, lived, studied and worked in North Wales my whole life, I have a deep understanding of the challenges we all currently face in our communities.  

"There are some who I listen to saying that they feel left behind and their voices aren’t getting heard. I hear you and I want to make a positive difference in people’s lives. I want to be your voice and the bridge linking North Wales Police to our communities. 

"As a proactive county councillor for many years, and with the last six years being Armed Forces Champion,  I have used my vast experience to lead - and achieve - the Gold award of Governments’ Defence Employer Recognition Scheme (ERS) throughout a period of significant cuts and changes.

"Despite the many challenges, and by working closely with many Chief Officers and their teams, I have built a strong network across many public services. 

"I work constructively with others across the six Local Authorities of North Wales along with third sector and other voluntary/community groups. I have delivered in making our Armed Forces community of North Wales as an inspiration for others to follow.  This is also widely recognised as I’m elected as North Wales Armed Forces Strategic Group Vice-chair.  

"Whilst employed previously as a Social Innovation Outreach Worker, I was involved in developing and sustaining positive relationships with a wide range of local people including community leaders, council officers, local groups and third sector organisations.  I pride myself on engagement, listening and strategising. This has played a huge part in my successes to date. 

 

"My deeply-embedded partnership approach has always paid dividends for all parts of our community so that we all benefit.  I have solid knowledge and experience within Local Government, third sector and other public services – vital attributes needed as a Police Crime Commissioner. I am also an ambassador for the White Ribbon campaign. 

 

"I have five pledges which are outlined below:

 

1. To champion local neighbourhood policing - giving communities a real say in policing for their areas and increasing Police visibility. We all want to feel safe and secure. 

 

2. To adopt a ‘victim first’ approach to policing, putting victims of crime first and ensure that their rights are protected.  

 

3. Keep up our fight against violence against women and girls and all forms of domestic violence. As a White Ribbon Ambassador I promise to never commit, excuse or remain silent about male violence against women. 

 

4. Ensure North Wales Police is fully equipped to deal with the future of online threats, working with colleagues across Wales.

 

5. Ensuring a value for money in police budgets, and prioritising local policing teams. It is public money for public services."

* For the full election story, seeElection 2021: Labour gain police commissioner in north Wales - BBC News

No comments:

Post a Comment