Get in touch ...

Know of something happening in
Llangollen?
Tweet
us on
@llanblogger

E-mail your contributions to: llanblogger@gmail.com

We are on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/pages/llanbloggercouk/139122552895186



Thursday, January 16, 2020

Former Clwyd South MP speaks of her own and party's future


* Former MP Susan Elan Jones on Breakfast TV this morning.

Former Clwyd South Labour MP Susan Elan Jones hasn’t ruled out standing at the next General Election, she has told llanblogger.

But in the immediate future she is planning to return to her old job of charity management.

Ms Jones, who lost the seat to Welsh Conservative Simon Baynes at the December 12 poll by 16,222 votes to 14,983, has been speaking on the BBC about how she would like to see her party recover from its worst defeat in many years – and the type of person who should lead it.

BBC Wales news bulletins during this morning’s (Thursday) BBC Breakfast featured a short interview with 51-year-old Ms Jones, who had been Clwyd South’s MP since the 2010 election.        

She said: “I want us to look at the policies that command widespread support.

“I think some of our policies but not all of them did.”

She added: “I want a leader that people see as Prime Minister and I want a party that’s not obsessed with its internal workings and itself but its first priority is the country.”

After the interview was screened Llanblogger contacted Ms Jones to ask her about her personal plans for the future and she replied: “In terms of next steps, you could say that I have been inundated with cards, letters and emails from constituents and many of these and people I have met while out and about have asked me if I will stand at the next General Election.

“That’s quite a long way away, however! - and I won’t be making any decision on that until nearer the time.

“However, I worked in charity management before I was an MP and that is what I will be hoping to do at present.”

No comments:

Post a Comment