Get in touch ...

Know of something happening in
us on

E-mail your contributions to:

We are on Facebook at

Friday, June 28, 2013

Safety message for campers and caravanners

Given the popularity of Llangollen as a camping and caravanning area, we are publishing this warning from North Wales Fire & Rescue Service:

Caravanners and campers are being urged to take extra care after two women were conveyed to hospital with facial burns following a cooking incident at a campsite in Nant Gwynant, Caernarfon.

Firefighters from Caernarfon were called to the campsite at 18.18hrs on Thursday, June 27 following an explosion involving a butane and propane cylinder being used for cooking.

Two women were transferred to hospital by ambulance for treatment for facial burns.

Gareth Griffiths from North Wales Fire and Rescue Service said: “Caravans and tents are potentially more hazardous than our homes as the inherent risks are magnified in confined spaces -  so its important not to let your guard down and forget basic fire safety advice when on your holiday.

“Cooking inside a tent is not recommended. Even a fire-resistant tent may burn – and be particularly mindful of the risk of fire inside smaller tents with only one exit.

“Don’t change gas canisters or refuel petrol or meths stoves inside your tent and, if possible, store them outside.

“Practise using your stove before you go on your trip - and make sure the stove or barbecue is sited on a solid surface to reduce the risk of it falling over.”

North Wales Fire and Rescue Service is advising those planning a break in a caravan or tent to keep the following advice in mind:

Be prepared
- Ensure tents or caravans are kept at least six metres apart
- Find out what the fire-fighting arrangements are on the campsite and where the nearest telephone is
- Fit an optical smoke alarm in your caravan and make sure it is working
- Make sure there is either a fully charged water or dry powder extinguisher located inside the caravan near the exit door a a fire blanket adjacent to the cooking area
- Keep a torch handy for emergencies - do not use a candle
- Do not leave children alone in a caravan – and keep matches and lighters out of the reach
- Do not overload electric sockets or extension leads if you have access to a power supply and make sure electrical appliances are working correctly
- Make sure everyone knows how to operate escape windows and doors
- Keep flammable liquids and gas cylinders away from tents.
- Do not cook inside your tent.
- Be prepared to cut your way out of your tent in the event of a fire.
- If your clothing catches fire, STOP, DROP AND ROLL.
- Oil burning appliances should not be used in or around tents.
- Cooking appliances should not be used in small tents.
- Do not smoke inside tents.
If there is a fire:
- Get everyone out straight away. Fires in tents and caravans spread very quickly.
- Call the fire and rescue service.
- Give a map reference, if possible. Otherwise give a landmark such as a farm or pub to help the fire and rescue service locate you.
Bottled gas:
- Extreme care is required as gas cylinders may explode in a fire
- Keep cylinders outside a caravan unless a special ventilated compartment is provided inside
- Before going to be or leaving the caravan turn off all appliances – the cylinder should also be turned off unless an appliance such as a refrigerator is designed for continuous running
- Never use a cooker or heater while travelling.

North Wales Fire and Rescue Service offers free home fire safety checks for everyone, including caravanners, and will install smoke alarms where necessary - contacting the free 24 hour hotline on 0800 169 1234 or e-mail  

No comments:

Post a Comment