Wales’ Health Minister Lesley Griffiths has categorically ruled out intervening in controversial plans for a major shake-up of services in the region, which include the axing of Llangollen Cottage Hospital.
Watchdog body the Community Health Council is
currently considering whether to lodge a formal objection to the proposals by
the Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board (BCUHB).
But a number of groups and individuals have urged
Ms Griffiths (pictured below) to intervene now and halt some parts of the package which they oppose.
However, on Twitter earlier today (Friday) the
Minister posted three consecutive messages in which she stresses that this will
The tweets say:
SERVICE CHANGE PLANS: It’s vital people understand
the current process to determine what changes take place in the NHS in the
SERVICE CHANGE PLANS: After local health boards
share their service change plans, CHCs have 6 weeks to review those proposals
SERVICE CHANGE PLANS: As Health Minister, I cannot
and will not intervene during this time 3/3
Her stark refusal to make an early intervention
follows news reported on llanblogger this
morning that the minor injuries unit at Llangollen Hospital is to close and be
transferred to the town’s health centre in the week commencing March 3.
It is believed there has been no formal
announcement of the move other than as a footnote to a press release posted on
the board’s website earlier this week.
This has brought strong criticism from the campaign
group Keep Llangollen Health Services, whose spokesman said the board was
treating local service users with “complete contempt.”
Mike Edwards, chair of Keep Llangollen Special, who
earlier this week wrote to Lesley Griffiths asking her to call in the change
proposals, said the situation had now reached the stage where it would be
impossible for the change proposals to be undone.